5.4 vs 6.0 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 02:28 AM
greg3737
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5.4 vs 6.0 Diesel

Hey Guys,

I am looking to order an Excursion and was looking for some advice on engines. I got a quote on a 5.4L and also a 6.0L Diesel. The Diesel was over $5000 more money than the 5.4L. Is this normal? Would the investment in the diesel payoff because of better mileage and the diesel engine lasting longer? Anything I need to think about including (wish you had) if I am ordering? Thanks Greg

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-02-2002, 04:38 AM
big_saxy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 vs 6.0 Diesel

These are bolth great engines! The bottom line is going to be what your main use of the vehicle is going to be. It is true that you will get better gas milage with the power stroke to maintain a disiel is much more expensive. Oli filters and fuel filters will cost you much more then regular gas filters. If you are looking for just a daily driver with low maintinence, go with the 5.4. If you do plan on hauling serious loads, the power stroke is the beast of burden for you, the 5.4 can handle its share of pulling too but with not nearly the grace of the powerstroke.

Old 12-02-2002, 08:14 AM
RFANTI
Freshman User
5.4 vs 6.0 Diesel

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-Dec-02 AT 09:36 AM (EST)]I have had gas and diesel engines, and happen to like the diesel. The thing to remenber is that the resale value of the smaller engine will be a lot less than the bigger engine. People usally by these trucks for a reason -- not to run around town. If you can afford the bigger engine (V10 or PSD), by the one you like. Don't get the 5.4, the truck is just to big for it. I can't imagine what the Ford people were thinking about when they made that engine a option. It should have at least been a 6.0. Get every thing you can afford, the truck is fifty thousand anyway. I have a 2003 PSD,Limited with the entertainment system and I love it. I traded in my 2001 2500/8.1 Suburban, which was a piece of junk (burned oil and the trans slipped. Anyway, buy the truck at the end of the month. The dealer usally doesn't want to pay for the truck another month (finance charges), you now they don't pay for them with cash. And the best month is at the end of December, people are not usally shopping for high ticket items.:-X12 Good Luck and shop around, know you prices before you begin to bargain. It war you know (once you walk in those doors).

Old 12-02-2002, 08:26 PM
Bruinzfan
Senior User
5.4 vs 6.0 Diesel

Rfanti,
I have been towing with a conversion van for a year now. (T.V. the works for the kids.) I was planning on buying an E250 with the 5.4 and 3.73's. I was disapointed to find out that i will be over my GCWR by almost 2K with this truck. The long and the short of it is that i am now shoppping for an X. Would you please discribe the entertainment system to me. i.e. Size of screen, location, DVD, or VCP. Also i have seen mention of a rear tv screen....are there two mounted??

Thank you

Keith

Old 12-02-2002, 10:00 PM
jeffthom1
New User
5.4 vs 6.0 Diesel

JUST CURIOUS,WHY DID YOU LEAVE OUT THE V-10.IF THE DIESEL IS NOT YOUR THING,THEN YOU SHOULD DRIVE THE V-10 AND COMPARE TO THE 5.4.I DROVE BOTH AND DONT THINK THE 5.4 IS ADEQUATE(AND I DONT EVEN TOW).FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND THE V8 IS NO MORE ECONOMICAL EITHER.(SOME SAY WORSE)AND I WOULDNT WANT TO HAVE TO TRY TO RESELL AN X W/ A V8 WITH THE MARKET SO HEAVILY LADEN W/ V10/PSD'S.THE 5.4 IS REALLY ONLY AVAILABLE FOR FLEETS AND SUCH ANYWAY.JUST MY THOUGHTS.

Old 12-03-2002, 03:58 PM
Waxy
Postmaster
5.4 vs 6.0 Diesel

This is from a previous thread and explains my thoughts and why I went V10.
__________________________________________________ __________________
First off - A disclaimer
My experience is largely limited to diesels in heavy trucks, Cat's, Detroit's, and Cummins, so some of my reasons may be true to a lesser extent when dealing with the PSD. I love diesels, you can't compare the feeling of power of a big CAT spooling up, and the smell of diesel in the air on a cold morning gets my blood pumping.

Now, here's my $.02, and why I chose to go gas. I too have an office job and drive a short distance to work most days. So,

Reason #1 - A typical November day would be a cold morning, jump in the truck drive 10 mins to work and shut it off. Start it again at 5 and drive home 10 mins shut it off. That's the quickest way I know of to kill a diesel. Without sufficient warm up and cool down time, and without ever really reaching operating temps, diesels are not very efficient. You greatly increase wear on a diesel (rings) using it for short trips like that, and I'm too impatient to wait for it to warm up and cool down every time I use it. If you're going to get maximum life out of a diesel, it best to operate it for long periods of time, where it can build and maintain heat, and run at maximum efficiency.
Simply put, short trips = short life

Reason #2 - The diesel is just as expensive to operate as the gasser. The fine points of this can be argued, but the $4500 initial price tag and higher cost of routine maintenance will generally offset any increased mileage, and depending where you live, the difference in fuel prices. You'll notice that the best fuel mileage numbers for the diesels are on extended highway trips, around town in stop and start, as with any engine, mileage really suffers. Don't believe the hype of all the high mileage number claims for the diesel, or the V10 for that matter. If you're towing anything or travelling over 50mph, numbers in the 20's are NOT realisitic. Same goes for resale, getting $3000 (or $4000 for that matter) more for a truck that costs $4000 more initially is not "better resale".

Reason #3 - I don't typically haul enough or tow a sufficient load to warrant the diesel, the V10 is more than capable.

Reason #4 - Purely based on comfort. The gas is quieter, cleaner, and generally easier to find fuel for.

Reason #5 - This one may or may not be a factor, but the hard truth is that IF you get into a situation where you have to do engine repairs, diesels are VERY EXPENSIVE to fix in comparison to gassers.

Both are great engines, I based my choice on how I realistically intended to use the vehicle. If you go gas, spend the extra $600 and get the V10, the smile factor is worth it.
__________________________________________________ ____________________

Waxy

Old 12-05-2002, 05:23 PM
RFANTI
Freshman User
5.4 vs 6.0 Diesel

Keith:

The entertainment unit came with the truck, it has a 7" sceeen and is combined with the back controls. The carity of the screen is great and the dvd player is mounted there also. And the best part is that with the screen down you can use the rear view mirror. It also has rear controlls. So the kids can watch the dvd with the head phones on and you can listen to the radio. Do you decide on what size engine to get?

Old 12-05-2002, 07:48 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5.4 vs 6.0 Diesel

Good Luck and shop around, know you prices
>before you begin to bargain. It war you know (once
>you walk in those doors).

You know, it's not ALWAYS "war" when you walk into a dealership. Granted, a lot of us are scumbags; that's true of many professions today, not just car salesmen. To wit: lawyers, politicians, cell-phone salesmen, computer stores- I've been lied to by every one of THEM. I work at a dealership that sells EVERY new truck right at factory invoice with 2 exceptions: Lightnings get $500 off of sticker, and Harley's are sold at invoice plus $1,000. (I can't tell you where I work because the webmaster frowns on such things, and I don't blame him. You'd have every yahoo in the world tying up this space. If I can just get someone from FTE to return my call, then I'll be advertising on the site- hint, hint.) That's right: invoice. No haggling, no games, no nonsense. So, think twice next time you want to slam a profession, 'cause there's an exception to every rule.

Old 12-06-2002, 08:45 PM
turbodiesel
Freshman User
5.4 vs 6.0 Diesel

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 06-Dec-02 AT 09:47 PM (EST)]I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings, BUT 5.4's should NOT even be offered in X's. A friend of mine has one, and even with the 4.30 gears this thing is the biggest DOG anyone has ever seen!! You can ABSOLUTELY FORGET about towing ANYTHING! I wouldn't even fully load it with passengers. This is absolutely a no-brainer, V10 or PSD are the ONLY sane choices, unless you want to be a hood ornament for a Kenworth...

'01 F-350 4X4 CC SRW SB PSD AT Lariet

Old 12-07-2002, 07:30 AM
Bruinzfan
Senior User
5.4 vs 6.0 Diesel

Rfanti,
Thank you. As far as the engine is concerned i have decided i want the PSD. I have driven that in Wreckers and like the engine very much. I am not going to wait for the 6.0. I have found 4 7.3's on a dealership lot about 1.5 hrs. from me and am going to look at them as soon as i stop typing. I am having a little trouble convincing the wife that the deisel is the way to go but i think she is coming around. The test drive will cinch it one way or the other probably. I am towing a 32' travel trailer that weighs in at almost 8K when fully loaded...gear water etc. Thats why i really want the 7.3.

Thank you very much.

Keith

Old 12-11-2002, 04:53 AM
heshmastr
New User
5.4 vs 6.0 Diesel

> Good Luck and shop around, know you prices
>>before you begin to bargain. It war you know (once
>>you walk in those doors).
>
> You know, it's not ALWAYS "war" when you walk into a
>dealership. Granted, a lot of us are scumbags; that's true
>of many professions today, not just car salesmen. To wit:
>lawyers, politicians, cell-phone salesmen, computer stores-
>I've been lied to by every one of THEM. I work at a
>dealership that sells EVERY new truck right at factory
>invoice with 2 exceptions: Lightnings get $500 off of
>sticker, and Harley's are sold at invoice plus $1,000. (I
>can't tell you where I work because the webmaster frowns on
>such things, and I don't blame him. You'd have every yahoo
>in the world tying up this space. If I can just get someone
>from FTE to return my call, then I'll be advertising on the
>site- hint, hint.) That's right: invoice. No haggling, no
>games, no nonsense. So, think twice next time you want to
>slam a profession, 'cause there's an exception to every
>rule.
the dealership i get all my ford's from give me invoice pricing no matter what the vehicle is. and anyone i send there get's it also. i also get the x-plan on vehicles now through my job so i save another 600 or so dollars. so i agree not all dealers are out to make a killing because they still make a bit of money even though they are selling it at invoice price.i would put down my e-mail address but i don't know if that is permitted so i could tell you where to go. they had a x 2002 for 31000 xlt 4x4 on sale last week so there are some good deals out there on x's.:-X12

Old 12-11-2002, 08:52 AM
johnpaul
New User
5.4 vs 6.0 Diesel

Old 12-30-2021, 01:36 PM
zackcaldwell689
New User
greg3737 the 6.0l Diesel engine is less reliable then the 5.4l I have a 2008 Ford F-150 Tristan 5.4 and it runs great had a buddy who had a 6.0 and it broke down almost every month they are very unreliable unless you bulletproof them and that’s around 15k and even then they will still have there problems so I recommend the 5.4

Old 12-30-2021, 02:07 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
You probably didn't notice that this thread is 19 years old. Excursions went out of production over 16 years ago.

Old 12-30-2021, 04:08 PM
Vinny G-the EX man
Tuned

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
I would be surprised if Greg 3737 replied to you this thread is close to 20 years old.

edit. Sorry Mark, for some reason my post didn’t show up for over 2 hours so your was not there when I posted. I may be old but I am not that stupid LOL

Quick Reply: 5.4 vs 6.0 Diesel