Computer Chips & Tuners  

'02 Ranger (4.0L) Diablo Installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 06:49 PM
soksniffer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 Ranger (4.0L) Diablo Installation

My Diablo Delta 2-stage chip arrived today and I just finished installing it. For any who do this after me (WXBoy...), here are a couple of notes on things that differed from the included instructions:

1) The ECU case in my truck had no screws holding the lid on. There are four metal tabs that fold under the bottom that need to be gently pried up. There are four other, smaller metal tabs at the front and back of the lid, but these can be ignored; they just hold the lid together.
Also, there's a shield over the space where the chip inserts. Two snips with tin-snips, and it prys right off.

2) From the instructions, I was under the impression that I should remove the circuit board completely to properly clean the contacts. I undid the four torx bolts holding the circuit board to the bottom of the ECU case, but it turned out to be glued on as well. I decided to leave well enough alone and not force the issue, and continued with it remaining attached.

3) The grease on my circuit board was more of a new-fangled bluish dried-on plastic coating. Wiping with a rag did nothing to clean it off, so I went straight to the scotch-brite pad (included in the order), then the alcohol.

4) Relating to 1), 2), and 3): I don't think it's necessary to remove the cover at all. If you just remove the shield, and are very careful, you should be able to properly clean the contacts without having to muck about with the tabs.

5) I was stumped for a few minutes about what to do with the toggle switch cable. It turns out that the ECU holder area is open to the back of the dash board. I fished a wire back there, and reached the wire through the open glove box, then pulled the cable on through before connecting it to the chip.

So... how does is work now that it's in?

I dunno!

I've still got a quarter-tank of skunky 87 octane to burn through. My truck started just fine, however, with the toggle switch in both the off position and position 1 (didn't leave it running to see if it would start pinging, though), so I presume everything is functioning properly. There's also a new beep from somewhere in the dash when I start the truck now, which I guess means something, but I don't know what. And, actually, I'm not positive that it's a new beep... I might just not have noticed it before. But I think it's new....

Anyway, I'll follow up to this later in the weekend when I've had a chance to fill 'er up with the good stuff and really lay some rubber.

Old 11-14-2003, 09:55 PM
soksniffer
Senior User
Just a pre-followup followup: I figured out what the new beep was. It's from test-starting the car with the passenger door open.

Oh, also, for anyone in California, here's the legal disclaimer:
Legal in California only for racing vehicles which may never be used upon a highway.
Remember, guys, one hand washes the other, so don't any of you go telling on me!

Old 11-15-2003, 04:37 PM
soksniffer
Senior User
Talking

Okay, everyone, I'm back from driving to and from work in relatively light traffic.

HOLY CRAP!

I pride myself on generally not getting too excited over things, but the Diablo chip was everything Ken has advertised. I know I'm still just driving a truck, but it sure feels a lot more like a sports car than I ever thought it could. It accelerates more quickly, the shifting feels like a manual transmission and with the speed limiter gone I can go so fast the tires will fall apart.

I took it up to 100 just for giggles this morning, but didn't stay there long--as I said, it's still a truck and I'm really not comfortable going over 80 in it (at least not for extended periods of time).

Two potential drawbacks to running with the chip, though:
1) You might want to keep it in the stock setting when towing or hauling with your ranger. I'm not sure that the firmer shifts/higher RPM @ time of shifting are beneficial to pulling/carrying a load. I'm not sure that they aren't, mind you... maybe someone with better info (Ken?) can chime in here.
2) Ken has mentioned here and in the FAQ that most people will tend to break even on their gas per mile cost, thanks to the bump in mileage, if they continue driving the same way they did before the chip. That may be true, but unless you're dead you're not going to drive the same way you did. Not with it in position 1, anyway.

Here's a final visual summary of how I feel:

This is me before the chip:
This is me after the install:

That can be you, too!

Old 11-15-2003, 08:34 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey!!! Great to hear.

To address the potential drawbacks.....

1. True, the higher shifts may not be want you want with a load. It depends a little on the load though. The shift points tend to get higher the more throttle you give it. So if your load isn't terribly high (ie, you don't have to give it a lot of throttle) you shouldn't notice the shifts being to bad. If you do a lot of towing we can use a program specifically with that in mind (ie, different shift points and torque converter parameters).

2. True on the mileage. I get lower mileage because I have a lead foot, especially when the humidity is perfect (ie, get a tad more power). When I've specifically been easy/normal on the throttle I get about 2mpg better.

Your intake helps quite a bit with the chip as well. My experience has been:

intake = good
chip = really good
intake + chip = great