General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

What was the Shortest/Worst/Best Job You Ever Had??

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 12:20 PM
1999XLT
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What was the Shortest/Worst/Best Job You Ever Had??

SHORTEST: Around 2.5 Hours

WORST: Ronzoni Pasta Factory in Queens also shortest job. I was they guy that boxed the Ziti. I could not deal being the ONLY English speaking person there..........I had no idea what the hell anyone was saying..They spoke every language known to man EXCEPT English.............

BEST: Is there really such a thing? It's called WORK for a reason...

Old 11-14-2003, 12:25 PM
jeffthompson
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worst-Washing dishes when I was 16.

Wanted to get out the second I punched in.

Managed to hang in for about 3 months.

Best- Still waiting...

Last edited by jeffthompson; 11-14-2003 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:58 PM
Aztrainer
Posting Guru
Worst - Pet store. Hate to clean that poop up and all the people that needed to get a life.

Best - Working for my family business. Parents sold it and had to get a real job

Shortes - three months and see the worst

Old 11-14-2003, 01:16 PM
Knobby4604X4
Senior User
I can combine my best and worst. I've only had one, and I've been there just a bit more than ten years. I move/sell/fix/display/etc. furniture at a small furniture store. I get to meet new people every day while delivering, I can challenge my mind on an especially difficult repair, and the coworkers are great. I get to spend most days outside in the fresh air.
I've had really bad days also... I've gone into some of the most disgusting homes you will ever see. One house had a strench so bad that with the front door open, you would begin dry heaving about 40 feet from the house. Try to be professional when you can breathe because the smell burns your airway! I've gone to another house that had dried dog feces across the entryway floor. And not just a little bit. And this is brand new, expensive furniture that we are delivering! Or the time I went into a house and the little hellion(I mean cute 5 year old son of our customer) pulled a knife on my partner! So I've got the best and worst!

I can put in somebody else's shortest job - We hired a kid from Boston (we are in Va.) and he started at 8:00am on a Thursday. Around 8:12 he asked where a restroom was, so I gave him directions. Around 8:25, my boss comes in and asks where new guy is... We went looking for him and found that he had left out a rear warehouse door, never to be seen again. So he lasted a grand total of 12 minutes! And the job is easy!

Last edited by Knobby4604X4; 11-14-2003 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-14-2003, 01:21 PM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My best job is a tie between owning my own buisness now and working in my Fathers shop when i was just out of high school.

Worst and shortest job was working in a print shop cleaning presses..........lasted one week.

Old 11-14-2003, 02:08 PM
uk1050
Elder User
best..firefighter
worst..not being a firefighter

Old 11-14-2003, 02:12 PM
Baja Daze
Senior User
Worst: Working at an amuzement park in high school! Man, it sucked.

Shortest: 4 days. I was working as a contractor for Florida Power out of desperation...4 days after starting I get a call from my current employer.

Best Job: Current job. Aerospace Engineer. It's quite an interesting field, always challenging and neat to see your designs come to life.

Old 11-14-2003, 02:13 PM
MatthewJ
Senior User
Shortest and worst is a tie of two jobs.

1. Worked at a carwash for two months. The customers were rude, the owner stole from our paychecks, and they would'nt let you clock in unless we were busy. But I had to wait around all day in case.

2. Worked at Burger King for two months. Bought a truck before I was 16, parents made me tag it. The customers were even ruder than the carwash, the fellow employees sucked, and everyone made fun of me. Plus it was Burger King for crying out loud.

Old 11-14-2003, 02:27 PM
MuchToMyDelight
Posting Guru
Shortest- 4 hours of pulling weeds. three 100 yard long by 10 yard wide beds. There were nothing but weeds and bermuda grass with junipers sprawled about in a random fashion. I was to remove everything but the junipers.
Worst- Above job in the rain. Boss said "i hope the weather holds out- if it starts to rain, Ill come get you."
10 min after he leaves, it starts raining. Im thinkin' "Its just a little rain, it will stop in a few minutes." 45 min later, it stops, so I take off my sweatshirt cause its wet and cold. For that first hour, I was the best weed puller in all of Georgia. Then I sit and take a break for like 10 min. and look at all the weeds I still have to pull. "Man, this is gonna take all day, but I sure could use the money" So back to pulling I go, but not as fast as before. An hour into this, it REALLY starts to rain, and I go to put my sweatshirt back on, and see the lady at the guard shack motioning for me. (I was at an Advance Auto Distribution center- the beds were actually more like medians between the two lanes) I run over and she tells me I can sit in the guard shack untill my boss comes back. For 2 hours I sit and wait. Then, out of nowhere, it stops raining. 30 seconds later (I SWEAR it was exactly 30 seconds) my boss pulls up and is disappointed beyond words because I have only pulled 50 yards worth of weeds. I tell him it had been raining, and he looks at the sky, and looks at me, and gets $20 out of his wallet and drops me off at a gas station. Did I mention that I was 15 min late because I ran out of gas and had to catch a ride?

Best Job: Food Lion. Easy hours, easy work, and I always had one of 3 friends working with me. Too bad I sunk all that money into that mustang. I really wish I had that money back.

Old 11-14-2003, 02:34 PM
mbnv992
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My best and worst job is my landscaping business. It's good because I make great money doing lawns, bushes, etc. It's bad because of all the manual labor involved with the job

Old 11-14-2003, 02:41 PM
theologian
Postmaster
Best... my military career
Worst..Bishop to a bunch of hypocrites, fortunately over.
Shortest.. Driving a truck for a company that insisted I regularly break the law.. they lasted all of 2 hours.

This may change as time goes on.

Theo

Old 11-14-2003, 03:16 PM
Smaug
Posting Guru
I guess I'm lucky, I've never had a job I hated. When I was in high school I worked at Kmart stocking shelves and working in the automotive dept. Right after I graduated I went to work at Shaw Industries and have worked my way up to shift supervisor. Still there 13.5 yrs later and have no plans on going anywhere.

Old 11-14-2003, 03:26 PM
Targus
FIX YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS!
Worst: Framer...It wasn't that the job was so bad, but the way some of those guys talked truly made me sick! About 4 hours into the job one of them started talking about thier kids afterbirth. I walked off right there, and 2 days later they gave me a check for 8 lousy bucks.

Best: My current job...Self employed painter, and property manager/ owner.

Old 11-14-2003, 03:52 PM
rebel_ford4x4
Posting Guru
shortest: 3 days-roughly 12 hours combined

worst: Mcdonalds, the 3 day job

best: my current job, a small town grocery store. i really like it there, and not just 'cause i work with my girlfriend.

Old 11-14-2003, 04:49 PM
cpnhgnjnky
Elder User
Busting tires @ a Good year store. The manager was like we don't believe in paying minimum wage here, so I was getting 4.30 an hour not 4.25. The pay was lousy the hours worse, (studding tires for winter sucks) it was also my shortest job, 5 weeks, then I quit so I could wrestle ( yeah I was still in high school then).

CJ

Quick Reply: What was the Shortest/Worst/Best Job You Ever Had??