C6 Tools Transmission Builders Please Read This

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 05:37 PM
camarokid81
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C6 Tools Transmission Builders Please Read This

i have a 1991 ford van with 5.0efi all stock and an aod (rebuilt buy phenoix rebuilt transmissions in az) (3rd one in this truck) . it lasted 10000 miles and needs to be replaced again.
i have a 1986 c6 trans in my garage from a 1986 e250 2wd truck has over 100000 miles on it i`am sure. but trany did work. came from a 351w carb engine with a bad rod knock. it has been sitting for a year . i have been searching for a low miles c6 using a parts locator engine and have found a few with around 40-50 thousand miles pretty cheap. $250 but just because they list low miles does`nt mean the odometer has`nt rolled over and is really over 150000. i have a big clean garage and more time then money at the present time. i have at the moment around $350 to ether buy a low miles trans and driveshaft. or start buying what i need to rebuild the one i have sitting in the garage. i`am not in a hurry and understand good things take time to get done .i would rather build a heavy duty trans so i know whats in it. if i rebuild the one in the garage i would like to use the heaviest duty parts i can from top parts manufactures so i know i have a good trans that is going to last. i have a very large parts washer, a huge bench, a few engine stands, tons of tools, and the garage is heated. i can follow instructions very well and can use persision mesuring tools (dial indacator,micrometer.caliper).garage is equiped with a 60gallon air compressor ac/dc 225 miller stick welder,ace/oxy torches,drill press.arbor press,power tools. if i end up rebuilding this trans myself i will purchase a atsg c6 manual unless there is a better one to help with rebuilding since this will be my first auto trans rebuild. i have rebuilt a few t10, t5, and motorcycle transmissions along with a few engines.
what i need to know is what special tools i`am going to have to get or make that are required to teardown inspect and rebuild a c6 transmission properly. i also need to know what hard parts need to automaticaly be trashed and replaced. what parts have to be tripple checked for damage and ware. what parts have to be modified to either install heavy duty parts or to fix factory flaws (parts known to fail or cause premature failer or damage,or require updating )what valve body mods need to be done. and where is the most common places in the case that get damaged or need to be checked i guess i`am looking for a vet transmission rebuilder that has been through so many transmissions that he wakes up in the middle of the night dreaming about repairing transmissions lol. i sure i`am asking to much but i am tired of transmission problems with this van. i have been here so many times it only takes me 1/2-45 mins to get it out and about 1.5 hours to reinstall it and be driving. i have owned 5 vans and all have had junk aod transmissions. i know about setting the tv pressure to 33 psi with the proper tool between the cable the cable pivot and the last one i installed i replaced the lines, radiator,and installed a 24.000 gvw cooler with synthetic fluid . any info i can get would help so i get this done rite. i am thinking i will be spending around $700 to do this correctley but it will be money well spent if i endup with a like new or better trans thanks for your time and i did`nt mean to be long winded but i wanted to explain my position and what i`am capable of performing does c6 take type f or dextron??? fluid?

Last edited by camarokid81; 11-13-2003 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:42 PM
Mike G
Postmaster
I purchased a video from a gentleman from this site a while back that was specific to the rebuild of a C6. That along with parts ordered from Northern Auto and I have the completed unit now sitting in the garage ready for the engine to be hooked up. The rebuild is quite easy, just a matter of replacing parts. The video is over an hour long and goes through all phases of the tranny from ID/tear down/inspection/rebuild. Look around or search for the video here, if you can't come up with anything, I will find the details. Have fun (I did).
--Mike G

Old 11-13-2003, 07:14 PM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
You need to locate or make a spring compressor to handle the high/reverse and low/reverse return springs. Some cheap books say you can use 2 C clamps instead, yeah, right. If you have clutches with 24 return springs in them, C clamps would bend the @*%@* out of the spring retainers and wreck them.

Also on 1976 or later C6 you will need a seal protector to install one of the piston seals, as it is a flanged type of seal, rather than a square-cut seal like pre-76 was.

Some of the hard parts you won't know what you need until you take it apart. Like selective thrust washers, thrust washers, bushings (replace the output bushing for sure), selective snap ring or two, etc.

I recommend the Ken Collins Badshoe Productions C6 video, that is the one that Mike G is probably talking about. Very good tape. That and a good manual.

Old 11-13-2003, 10:33 PM
camarokid81
Senior User
i cant find a seal protector for a c6 like you were saying Torky2 i found a spring compressor for like 40usd but the seal protector i cant find i found a aod kit for lip seals but they want 100 for it i`am only going to use it 1 time plus i dont know if it will work on a c6 do you have any suggestions on where to get one or what i can use thanks for your time

Old 11-14-2003, 04:10 AM
gregaust
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't really need the seal protector for the forward seal,it can be worked in carefully without.

Old 11-14-2003, 09:28 AM
Mike G
Postmaster
Torky is on the money!

The video was from Ken and he even includes some of the additional upgrades you can do to add clutch plates for better performance. I recall the video being around $30 and I picked up a manual with the rebuild kit. Ken also includes plans to build a spring compressor for about $5 in flat steel and bolts. I am fortunate enough too that the trans rebuild kit I purchased has a distributor locally, so once I tore in and found a few more parts I wanted to upgrade/change, it was just a run across town. Also, the tranny I rebuilt was a '72 truck, a little different from the cars, but only the tail shaft and it had the seals not requiring the install tool. The intstall tool for the seals looks basically like a coffee can with the middle cut out, just a little something to help you slip the piston in and seat the seal.

Happy building! --Mike G

Old 11-14-2003, 12:33 PM
camarokid81
Senior User
ok i have one more question ford made 3 different converters for a c6 transmission low stall med stall and high stall i`am going to buy a brand new one what one should i order after the trans is done i`am putting a 2000 ford explorer 5.0 ho engine in the truck that has stock gt40p heads and has a roller cam factory they put the high stall converter in 4x4 trucks the low stall in 6cyl and bbf trucks what one would you put in your truck?? if you were in the same position i`am in truck is 6000 lbs with 3.55 rear end and i`am planning to do some mods to the engine like headers duel exaust throttle body spacer 24lb injectors aftermarket fuel pressure regulator the heads are going to get ported 12 degrees advance timing running 94 oct gas tbody coolant line buypass rite after this trans gets done i`am getting the engine and going to start collecting all the parts so i can change the engine in the spring i should have all the parts and engine mods done buy then i cant do much with the cam because i have speed densidy efi system unless i convert to mass air i was going to drop a 351w in it but i desided against it because i cant find a low miles one and i dont trust anyone to rebuild one

Old 11-15-2003, 04:27 AM
camarokid81
Senior User