Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing air bag light and no cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-1999, 07:40 AM
Royce Page

I have a 1994 F150 5.0 auto trans.My air bag light
started flashing all the time.Since this has started my cruise control doesn't work.Has anyone out there had the same problem?If so what is the solution if you have one.Light flashing in Fla.

Old 06-08-1999, 08:50 AM
Phillip Guidry
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for peace of mind,you should study the owners manual in the section of the fuses & circuit breakers & relays. Some circuits are share by multiple accesories & some single accesories share multiple voltage supplies{fuses,CB,relay}.Check,with a test light,every fuse,etc. that may be associated with the two circuits you're having trouble with,you'll probably get lucky! If that doesn't work,there may be a faulty wire,whether ground or supply.
Phillip

Old 06-13-1999, 02:42 AM
jj
New User

I had similar problem with my 95 F-150 4X4. The cruise control quit working and the reverse lights quit working at the same time. It was still under the aftermarket warranty so I took it in. The fix was a 75 cent ground connector that had been pulled from the wire, at the ground location. Hope this helps.

Old 07-01-1999, 09:35 AM
Rick Gonzalez

Royce,
I have the same problem, I recently bought a
used 94' F150 X-cab, V-8, autotrans truck. It runs
great but I can't seem to find where the problem
is at. Also my horn does not work, I have checked the switches on the steering wheel, the horn relay and have connected my horns directly to the
battery and they work. I believe the horn and air
bag error share a common ground, like your cruise
control and air bag error. I was told to look at the ground tab inside the steering wheel, it makes
contact to a brass plate formed on the inside of
the steering wheel. This is the only thing I have
not checked and it will be my weekend project..,I
believe this is where the problem is at..,I will
write you again after I have worked on this..,in the mean time if you fix your problem please e-mail me on the air bag error. One more note, I
use to own a 89' F150 and the cruise control stopped working, it turned out to be the fuse for
the brake lights was the culprit.
Good luck

Old 07-08-1999, 10:15 AM
rick
Senior User

Royce,
I fixed my flashing air bag light error. The problem was in the steering wheel column. There is a ribbon cable with 5 traces in it..,the cable is about 6ft and coiled inside a round container. To
find out if my cable was bad I ohmed out from the connection underneath the steering column to the connection inside the steering wheel.
First remove your air bag fuse, then remove your air bag from steering wheel. There are four #10 metric nuts on the back of steering wheel.
Disconnect the horn and air bag connections from steering wheel. At this point you do not have to remove your steering wheel. Now go underneath the steering wheel, it is easier if you remove the bottom panel. Disconnect the air bag connection and horn connection. Now use an ohm meter and set it to ohm's. Your readings should read 2 or 3 ohms or even zero but if your readings read infinity then that wire is broken or open.
The ribbon cable inside your steering wheel includes all the accessaries on the wheel. Remove #15 metric screw that torques steering wheel. Use a pulley to remove steering wheel. Behind the steering wheel is a round container with three star screws that hold it it place. There is a cover that snaps into place, pop it off and you can see the ribbon cable. You can try to repair it by taking it out like I did and cutting off about
3 inches and reconnecting it. I soldered all my
connections, the factory just crimps them together..,Or you can buy a replacement..,which I
don't know how much it cost. This fixed both my
horn and air bag error..,of course something else
could be causing your problems but more then likely they are related to this cable. The problem
with my was that turning the steering wheel all the way to right eventually caused the ribbon cable to break, it did not have enough slack. When
I put it back together I made sure it had enough slack.

Good Luck,
Rick

Old 07-08-1999, 10:19 AM
rick
Senior User

Royce,
Please look at my last message, I placed it in
the wrong text but it outlines how I fixed my
flashing air bag error.

Old 07-09-1999, 03:36 PM