2001 - E150 Traveler - Auxiliary Battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 11:00 AM
muellerp
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 - E150 Traveler - Auxiliary Battery

I really need some advice on the following:

I have a 2001 - E-150 Traveler with a factory installed "Auxiliary Battery". The brochure made it sound like that this battery will run the factory installed entertainment system and the 2 "auxiliary power points". For the past 3 years I assumed the auxiliary battery was charging and was part of the 2 ea. ""Auxiliary power points"" one on the dash - above the cigarette lighter - and one behind the driver's seat. Today I found out I was wrong. The "auxiliary power points" have nothing to do with the "auxiliary battery". The owner's manual is not only confusing but also inadequate by using the word "auxiliary" not refering to "auxiliary battery".
Appearantly the auxiliary battery is not used for any of the power needs on the inside of the vehicle!

a) Since the battery relay was never installed. Yesterday I was told the Auxiliary battery was never charged.

b) The auxiliary battery was never used since there was no output or connection - the power never went anywhere.

Here are my questions:
1- Not having had the relay installed - is it true that the Deep Cycle Battery was never charged for the past 3 years?

2- Since the relay is now installed - will it charge the auxiliary battery or do I have to add more relays and fuses to make it work??

3- While I already ordered a new Motorcraft DC battery, is the original auxiliary battery still good or did it sulfate past the point of no return?

4- The E-150 came with the factory installed auxiliary battery and tow package. The 7 pin, factory installed, trailer connector in the #1 position is now hot when the engine is running. The #4 position is the gound and it works too.

5- I need power from the auxiliary battery when the key is in the "off postion"! I would prefer the some contact in the trailer connection being hot when in the run postion and hot from the auxiliary battery when not running!
(Since my auxiliary battery is now dead, and the new one has not yet been installed, when I check the connection it is cold)

6- What do I need to do to use power of the auxiliary battery through the trailer connector? I was told that the auxiliary battery is meant to be used in lieu of a trailer battery inside a trailer, and should be hot in "the run positon" and hot "when the engine is not running" in order to save the starting battery.

I apologize for the length of my question but you are my last hope for a workable solution.

- The dealer does not know
- The local RV people tell me to continue to "Experiment"
- My friends don't want to bother with it.

This past summer I bought an Engel 12V fridge, drawing about 1.7 - 2.0 AH off my staring battery. I want to use the auxiliary battery if possible.

I could wire the fridge directly to the battery, but like to use the fused and protected circuits if possible.
Wiring directly would be my last resort.

Last question:
Is anyone aware of connectors, between the pig tail for the electrical trailer connector and the wire harness on the left rear underside (driver's side) where I could just plug a tap in to draw the power off to a connector to be installed on the inside of the van?

Thank you all very much for your understanding and assistance in this matter.

P.S.
I wish FORD would make the whole experince with the "auxiliary" battery a little more clearer and make this great resource more easily available!