General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Future Diesel Engines

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 09:02 PM
radar_ridr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Future Diesel Engines

Here's a link to a dscription of a prototype diesel developed by Detroit Diesel in 2000. Shows what they could be providing if they wanted to. 230 hp, 340 tq, 20 mpg, 250,000 mile durability.

Light Truck Diesel Prototype

Old 11-09-2003, 09:14 PM
BigRyanKP
Senior User
i think they need to make more 2 stroke diesels

Old 11-09-2003, 10:22 PM
SouthernDually
Elder User
Thumbs up WOW

If they can pump that much HP out of a llittle V6. 4.0, then we should be able to get around....450 HP, and 800 tq. with probably around 25 MPG. Well I know I'm dreaming but just could not help with the comparison.

Old 11-09-2003, 11:13 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
If it comes out in something, like say a new f150, I'll buy it. Provided it doesn't cost like 60000. Detroit is a very good deisel company.

Mike

Old 11-09-2003, 11:28 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
I want one.....

XXL

Old 11-10-2003, 01:02 AM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Detroit Diesel is owned by Daimler Chrysler group. The Series 60 engines are supposedly going to be phased out and replaced with Mercedes Benz diesel engines.

Old 11-10-2003, 01:15 AM
will-work -for-mud
Senior User
I definitely agree with you but I don't see the detroit 60 series goin out in the next 10 years though. But you can tell they have been planning this for a while now because they haven't done any big changes to the detroit 60 series in a long time. The new Mercedes 12.7L will definitely take its spot. Stronger, last longer and more efficient. I wish they would make a small turbo diesel for the light duty trucks. They are alot more efficient and alot more powerful. Just my opinion.
-Landon

Old 11-10-2003, 11:45 AM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
I still don't see why a smaller diesel (like the one in that report) hasn't been available as an option for F150 owners (and other 1500 trucks). It would be great for the guy that tows a boat, luggage, and family, and wants the best performance. Especially in something like a Durango - it's a bit bigger than the Explorer, smaller than the Expedition. I don't see why it shouldn't have a pint-size diesel as an option.

XXL

Old 11-10-2003, 12:22 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Everybody complains that the price of a new vehicle is so high. Then there was the thread about going back to the basics, and now we want diesels.

The diesel engine increases the price of the vehicle. So much in fact that it would take an amount of time greater than the life of the vehicle in regards to fuel savings.
Diesel engines are more costly to repair, and turbos require special use. There are barely enough diesel mechanics to work on the trucks that we have now, imagine what it would be like to have that many more engines on the road.
Right now we have low grade, high sulphur diesel fuel on the market, and its cheap enough to keep so many farmers and ranchers and fledgling trucking companies in business. If we start building light car and truck diesels, we are going to need higher grade, low sulphur diesel fuel, and that is expensive. So much in fact that our diesel would go from $.90 per gallon (nontax) to well over $2 per gallon. I don't think that there is a significant market for a full scale production V6/V8/I5-6 diesel engine in light duty trucks, the trucks can't handle that kind of towing to begin with, and when you got all done you would have the weight and ride of a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck anyway, and now the cost would be the same.

Its just plain not feasible, Ford, GM, and Dodge all know this.

Old 11-10-2003, 12:56 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Originally posted by mattsbox99
Everybody complains that the price of a new vehicle is so high. Then there was the thread about going back to the basics, and now we want diesels.

The diesel engine increases the price of the vehicle. So much in fact that it would take an amount of time greater than the life of the vehicle in regards to fuel savings.
Diesel engines are more costly to repair, and turbos require special use. There are barely enough diesel mechanics to work on the trucks that we have now, imagine what it would be like to have that many more engines on the road.
Right now we have low grade, high sulphur diesel fuel on the market, and its cheap enough to keep so many farmers and ranchers and fledgling trucking companies in business. If we start building light car and truck diesels, we are going to need higher grade, low sulphur diesel fuel, and that is expensive. So much in fact that our diesel would go from $.90 per gallon (nontax) to well over $2 per gallon. I don't think that there is a significant market for a full scale production V6/V8/I5-6 diesel engine in light duty trucks, the trucks can't handle that kind of towing to begin with, and when you got all done you would have the weight and ride of a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck anyway, and now the cost would be the same.

Good point, my only question is, what about Europe? Everything's got a diesel in Europe.

Evidently it works for them, but why not us?

XXL

Old 11-10-2003, 01:00 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thats because gasoline is so outrageously expensive (5-8$ per imperial gallon).

They use high grade diesel in europe, but most of the vehicles there are little cars that get 50-65 MPG. Nobody there has a truck.

Old 11-10-2003, 01:52 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Thats because gasoline is so outrageously expensive (5-8$ per imperial gallon).

They use high grade diesel in europe, but most of the vehicles there are little cars that get 50-65 MPG. Nobody there has a truck.
but that's my point - without sounding like a jerk, Americans tend to be wealthier than your standard blue-collar European.

Going by this observation, it doesn't make any sense that they've all got highly efficient diesels and we're still stuck on trying to squeeze 14MPG out of a gasoline truck engine.

By default, shouldn't WE have the better engines?

DISCLAIMER: I'm not trying to offend any of our European FTE members, I'm just trying to make a point.

XXL

Old 11-10-2003, 02:16 PM
mattsf250
Elder User

point well made...

bear with me for a second here.....if our highly subsidized farmers start growing grapeseed crops, and americans start to like diesels (the reason more cars are NOT, americans dont like them...) we could nearly eliminate our dependance on foriegn oil. biodiesel in case your wondering... no mo gub-mint subsidizing our farmers, raising our GDP, as we would ultimately be high producers of diesel fuel (and thus, exporters), and ZERO sulphur! as a result, we would actually pay less for fuel....now i sound like some quasi-enviromentalist... lmao!

anyhoo, my thoughts on the subject.

Last edited by mattsf250; 11-10-2003 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:39 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Originally posted by mattsf250
biodiesel in case your wondering... no mo gub-mint subsidizing our farmers, raising our GDP, as we would ultimately be high producers of diesel fuel (and thus, exporters), and ZERO sulphur! as a result, we would actually pay less for fuel....now i sound like some quasi-enviromentalist... lmao!

anyhoo, my thoughts on the subject.
That's been my argument for a long time - I wouldn't mind paying $6000 extra for a truck if the fuel cost $1/gallon.

Obviously, we have a way to go before Biodiesel gets that cheap, but it'll happen sooner or later.

XXL

Old 11-10-2003, 03:08 PM
Waxy
Postmaster
Originally posted by BigMattXXL
Obviously, we have a way to go before Biodiesel gets that cheap, but it'll happen sooner or later.

XXL
I beg to differ.

Waxy