6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 11:14 AM
jobguy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended Warranty

I am looking for an Extended Warranty. Any suggestions??

Old 10-21-2003, 12:17 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do a search on the net via www.google.com or yahoo.com...
be suprised by the values you can get...
but please stay with a Ford warranty - have heard too many horror stories about not being covered because you didn't do this or didn't do that...
And you MUST be able to prove the maintenance was done - even to Ford... So save receipts...

Old 11-01-2003, 03:53 PM
renaissanceman
Senior User
BUMP!

I'd like to bump this back up for discussion. I've been recieving a number of aftermarket extended warranty solicitations since I ordered my 04 F350. The company's offering these tell me their warranties are true bumper-to-bumper and list only those items that they do not cover like brake parts that wear and rubber stuff. On the other hand these same guy's are telling me that the FMC ESP plan is not a true bumper-to-bumper extended warranty and I could get hosed bad if I break something not covered.

Meanwhile, my FMC guru tells me to stay with the "Extended service plan" from FMC because it is good at any Ford dealer in north america and I will always be assured that a genuine Ford part will be used for replacement (which is probably a good thing anyway).

My new truck is due for delivery in the next couple of weeks and I'd like to have some solid info befor I go swing the last paperwork. Which is a better value? How about some clarity here so I can make an informed and intelligent choice.

Old 11-01-2003, 06:02 PM
snowcrash47
Freshman User
wait and buy the extended warranty when your warranty is about up on the truck you bought, which is 3 years or 36 months. you don't really need the warranty now, since you're already covered with one already. we're waiting till ours is bout up to purchase one. no need to waste the money now when you might need it for something else.

charlie

Old 11-01-2003, 07:09 PM
renaissanceman
Senior User
Thumbs down

snowcrash, your reply was less than helpful, y'know? My question was about understanding the differences of offers, not when I should buy one.

Old 11-02-2003, 05:00 PM
snowcrash47
Freshman User
Re: BUMP!

Originally posted by renaissanceman
My new truck is due for delivery in the next couple of weeks and I'd like to have some solid info befor I go swing the last paperwork. Which is a better value? How about some clarity here so I can make an informed and intelligent choice.
not trying to start something here, but the way it reads to me with what you said, it looks like you were going to buy one when you pick up the new truck since you just ordered one.

i just offered some advice saying wait and get one later. that way, then you'll have plenty of time to do some research on the extended warranties.

i'm glad i couldn't help you though
snow

Old 11-02-2003, 07:22 PM
canuck999
Senior User
jobguy, renaissanceman,

get the Ford Extended Warranty, though it might cost you a few bucks more. This way you only have to deal with one supplier and never have to watch two different companies pointing the finger at each other, with you in the middle of the whole mess. (been there, done that )

Often you can talk the Ford dealer into a good extended warranty deal at the time of purchase / delivery.

I would certainly stay away from 3rd party warranties! These companies come and go and a few years down the road, your extended warranty that you paid good money for, might not be worth the paper it is printed on. A friend of mine and I had bad experiences with this.

Fords ESP will cost you a few bucks more. But it will also give you peace of mind, if Ford is still going to be in business within a few years, that is.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your new truck.

Last edited by canuck999; 11-02-2003 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:33 PM
eharman
Senior User
Go with the FMC extended warranty when you decide to get
it. It is better to be safe than sorry, even if it cost a little more.
I am going to go with the FMC extended warranty towards the
end of my 36/36 warranty.

Old 11-03-2003, 03:22 PM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
FMC extended warranty

If you are going to get an ESP extended warranty from Ford,
give this guy a call for a quote: Gene Louder, 800-953-3321.
Small dealer in W. Texas with discounted prices.

Old 11-03-2003, 03:55 PM
jobguy
Freshman User
Thank You All for the advice.
JobGuy

Old 11-03-2003, 05:14 PM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
jobguy

I think the suggestions to stay with Ford are correct.
But you have to shop and compare. There are, I believe, 3 different levels of coverage (maybe only 2) $0/$50/$100 deductible and varying time/mileages. This is a complicated issue in that you are buying an insurance policy, betting that something will go wrong that will cost more than you paid for the warranty.

Ford allows the extended warranty to be purchased at anytime during the original 3yr/36,000 mile warranty, but it costs an extra $100 if you purchase after 1 yr/12,000 miles. And you have a 100,000 mile warranty on the engine on the diesel.

All Ford dealers sell these warranties, and it doesn't matter who you get it from--any Ford dealer will honor it. Some dealers heavily discount their profit on them. Once in the computer, it will come up in the service dept screen anytime you are in for any service. And it is transferable to a second owner, for a $50? fee.

Any other warranty can cause you grief ( I believe I heard that a company called WarrantyGold went bellyup recently); you may want to check out WarrantyDirect--they seem to hold up their end pretty well.

Old 11-03-2003, 06:48 PM
renaissanceman
Senior User
I just picked up my new 350 PSD Lariat a couple of hours ago and am sitting here reading and sifting through the pile of papers and CYA stuff that came in the glove box.

The actual pickup went pretty smoothly until I ask about the warranty thing. The service manager came in and began to extoll the virtues of some after-market plan. I ask about the FMC program and he mumbled something about they didn't do that anymore because it "cost the customer too much money" (and he said this with a straight face) and this other plan was really a good one for only $2100.00. When I pressed him for a number for the FMC program he mumbled "somewhere betwen $3,000 and 3200, I think". That tells me he is either a woefully uninformed service manager or really bad at obfuscating. In any case I won't be going back there to give him any business after I get my free first LOF.

Oh, BTW, new trucks drive nice and smell good. I'm surprised how quiet it is inside.

Old 11-09-2003, 11:12 AM
mountainman101
Senior User
aftermarket warranty

People usually say it's better to buy at the dealer. I have had several different extended warranties on my cars, both from the dealer and independent warranty companies. I bought an extended warranty for my newest car through WarrantyDirect.com. I already had two opportunities to use it. Both times everything was covered. Warranty Direct has been in business for over 20 years. The woman who helped me was Kelly and she is really knowledgeable about the company and their product. They were more than $400 less than the dealer offered and the Warranty Direct plan was a lot more comprehensive. You can call 800-632-4222 or go online to WarrantyDirect.com.

Old 11-09-2003, 12:28 PM
renaissanceman
Senior User
Will WarrantDirect pay off if you have all the work done at a Ford Dealer. My concern is if I take the truck to some other outfit they will use the least expensive part for the job which means some non-FMC aftermarket thing made in Bangladesh. In my head that leaves the door open to a Ford dealer blaiming this part as the cause of the $$$$ failure and not covering the warranty work because I used a non-FMC part to repair something else.

Am I being paranoid here?

Old 11-09-2003, 02:50 PM
mountainman101
Senior User
you can take anwhere but i only took mine to the dealer its easierbut my freind took his to a gas station in the desert which had no dealers around they fixed and covered part of his room he had to stay over night station didnt have the gasket neededthey paid 75.00 of his 90 .00 room

Last edited by mountainman101; 11-09-2003 at 02:57 PM.