Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Bypass Filtration System on your PSD

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 08:35 PM
USAF CCM
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bypass Filtration System on your PSD

How many of my fellow PSD owners use an Oil Bypass Filtration System and what brand are you using? I've been researching the Gulf Coast, Oil Guard and BRF systems. Many thanks for the replys. v/r Les

Old 11-03-2003, 08:59 PM
xanthias
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use the AMSOIL Dual bypass model BM16

Old 11-03-2003, 09:16 PM
claybusted
New User
I installed the Filtration Solutions FS2500 about a year ago. So far, so good. I've been doing oil analysis at 7k miles (when I do oil change) with good results. System is easy to use.

Ted

Old 11-03-2003, 09:18 PM
Ggg6
Senior User
I made my own due to the cost. I use two Baldwin filters. Works great and the oil tests show it. About $75 invested.

Old 11-03-2003, 11:51 PM
Mykro
Mountain Pass
Frantz....

I have installed 3 Frantz filters on my 99.5 PSD. On the Engine, Trans, and fuel line.. Installation was easy.. Maintenance is simple.. filters are economical.. I am 110 % Happy! with it.. Wish I had used Frantz 20 years ago.. e-mail me if you have any questions.. I have installation photos soon to be posted on the web.. A filter for the Coolant is in the works too ..

Old 11-04-2003, 07:11 AM
Steve_250
Posting Guru
Question

From a new PSD owner.<br>
What is the purpose of these filters, to extend the time between oil changes or???<p>
I do mostly highway driving, about 2500 miles a month, would it be beneficial to me or are they intended mainly for hard driving and/or dirty enviroments?<br>
Could someone post a link to their favorites so that I may learn more?<br>
Thanks,<p>
Steve.....

Old 11-04-2003, 07:45 AM
Ggg6
Senior User
For me the intended purpose was to extend oil change intervals after I switched to synthetic oil. Also I plan on getting more then 1m miles before a major o/h.

Old 11-04-2003, 06:11 PM
Jlower
Senior User

I am using a Gulf Coast Filter By-Pass-Oil-Filter. Much of DOD has started using these systems as a way to cut maintenance costs and it has worked, our Diesel fleet at Davis-Monthan AFB has seen a 50 % reduction in engine wear related maintenance costs in the last 2 years. I tracked down the company and bought a system for my PSD. It was easy to install and doesn't take up much space on the frame. I now have 12k on Mobile Delvac 1 and the oil analysis keeps coming back as "Like New" the filters are pulling out most of the soot and all of the particles.

According to GCF I shouldn't have to change it ever again. I'm not sure that I believe that just yet, but my oil is still transparent. We do have several USAF fleet vehicles with well over 90K-100K miles on the same oil at our base.

I have only had to change the GFC filter once so far. The recommendation is to change the GCF filter ($17.00/ try to buy them in bulk to save on shipping) every 10,000 and the factory every 25,000. The GCF filter will bring your total oil capacity up to 16Qts. You do wind up replacing about 2 1/4 Qts each time you change the GCF filter. One point to note, buy two brass ball-valves and put one on each filter hose. There was no problems on my PSD but a couple fleet vehicles had the GCF filter mounted lower than the oil pan. This caused the oil pan to siphon out when they changed the filter.

One other idea: get a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve , it will make taking sample a million times easier.

Last edited by Jlower; 11-04-2003 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:26 PM
USAF CCM
Elder User
Thumbs up Bypass Oil Fitration System

Thanks for all the great responses! Jlower, additional thanks for the info. In my neck of the woods, our vehicle MX section is using a BRF bypass oil filter...my vehicle MX supt swears by them.

Former Boomer...Breakaway, Breakaway, Breakaway!

Old 11-04-2003, 07:58 PM
Mykro
Mountain Pass
Originally posted by Steve_250
From a new PSD owner.<br>
What is the purpose of these filters, to extend the time between oil changes or???<p>
I do mostly highway driving, about 2500 miles a month, would it be beneficial to me or are they intended mainly for hard driving and/or dirty enviroments?<br>
Could someone post a link to their favorites so that I may learn more?<br>
Thanks,<p>
Steve.....
Here are a some links to study.

http://gulliver.trb.org/publications...ACulpepper.pdf

http://www.garynorth.com/y2k/detail_.cfm/5359

www.wefilterit.com

www.bypassfilter.com

Old 11-04-2003, 09:09 PM
theologian
Postmaster
I use the Amsoil system, with no problems so far.

Theo

Old 11-04-2003, 10:36 PM
Jlower
Senior User

USAF CCM,

Former Boomer...Breakaway, Breakaway, Breakaway!

We may have crossed paths somewhere. I'm a High Band Operator on the EC-130H Compas Call. Been here since 96' .

My additional job for our squadron was as the VCNCO. The fleet MX guys introduced me to these filters. Told me I should get one even for the gasser I drove at the time. I should of listened !

Old 11-05-2003, 08:39 AM
gseeders
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the filtration solutions fs-2500. I no longer use it and it is up for sale along with 12 filters.
I bought the system to extend oil changes, extend engine life and save money in this order. What i got was different, yes it extended oil changes but i dought that engine life is being extended and i didn't save any money.
I sampled the oil prior to installing the unit and 6 time after and the best report was without the system! 5 reports said okay for continued use and 1 said abnormal, change oil. The claim that it will extend engine life in my book is bull! How can engine life be extended when the contaminates that is floating in the oil is elevated? As for saving money from oil changes, I have spent more money now then if i continued changing oil at 3000 mi. and i will never recovered from the initial cost.
To each his own but i would say save your money and change oil @3000 mi. is the best protection.
e-mail me if you would like me to fax copies of my reports or buy this filter system.
gseeders