Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90 5.8L croaked on me

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2000, 10:33 PM
Nate_64
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
90 5.8L croaked on me

driving home- truck started missing, terrible aceleration, then just died. No warning lights came on- didn't get hot or lose oil pressure. Couldn't get plug wire to arc- so no fire. Is it possibly the TFI module? It went bad a couple months back, but it did not give any warning then (no missing, etc.) Does TFI usually just quit all at once, or will they sometimes go slowly?? What else should I check- I will test coil, but not sure if I should try anything else. Thanks all.

Nate

1964 F-100 Custom Cab 292 V-8 3 spd
1964 F-100 292 V-8 3 spd
1990 F-150 5.8L

Old 06-18-2000, 10:44 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
90 5.8L croaked on me

Nate ,
When the TFI died the first time did you use the dieelectric gel on the back of the module when you replaced it ? These things are so sensitive to heat and the die'e gel helps disapate the heat . Was it a Motorcraft TFI or aftermarket unit ? Those things are so weird , sometimes they fail with no warning other times they cause a fuss like you described . Another thing that some claim helps is to replace the Pickup coil in the distributor when the TFI is replaced . Ive done both TFI and Pickup coil and just TFI module with the same results . Its possible that your pickup is what is causing the problem ? Its fairly easy to replace except that the dist drive gear needs to be pressed off and on to replace the pickup because of how the pickup is mounted inside the dist under the vane wheel . Let us know , Im sure we can figure it out .
Paul

Old 06-19-2000, 08:38 PM
Nate_64
Senior User
90 5.8L croaked on me

Paul, thanks for your reply. I did use the dielectric grease, and the TFI was a repro- cheapo, that is. Another guy picked it up for me. I guess I should have been more specific when I sent him.

Anyway, I got a "loaner" TFI from the parts store to try out, but that wasn't the problem. The coil checks out OK, so it look like we're going into the dist. You referred to the pick up coil. Is this what is also called the Stator? Everyone I've talked to calls it a pickup, but my manual only referes to a Stator. As best I can tell it is just two names for the same thing, but I want to make sure. I know what a pickup is, but not being familiar with this distributor, I wanted to make sure a Stator wasn't something else.

Pardon me if my ignorance is showing, but this stuff (electronic distributors, etc.) is a little too up-to-date for me to understand. Why couldn't my 90 just have a 292 Y-block!!!!

Nate

1964 F-100 292 V-8 3 spd
1990 F-150 5.8L

Old 06-19-2000, 10:06 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
90 5.8L croaked on me

Nate ,
You got it , Official name is Stator . Like I said its easy to change but youll need to have the Dist gear pressed off and on . The Motorcraft TFI installed with Die'E Gel and the new pickup ( Stator ) Should have you running again with no trouble .
Paul

Old 06-19-2000, 10:21 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
90 5.8L croaked on me

Also , I thought Id add a little info . TFI Modules and Stators ( Pickup Coils ) Are basically high tech versions of points . The new stuff instead of relying on mechanical parts to control the dwell and when the coil energizes and fires uses electronic parts . Both suffer from heat and wear . I think today with the TFI and Stator parts heat is by far the worst enemy . This is why later model TFI Modules are mounted away from engine hea t . The reason so many techs advise the Stator be replaced when the TFI has died is because its possible that when the TFI dies , and Im not certain of the exact cause , maybe voltage spikes or some other electronic problem , the Stator is weakened and further susceptible to heat and irregular voltage problems . Regardless , I think replacing both , since the TFI plugs directly to the Stator , is worth the extra cost esp if it involves towing the vehicle to a repair facility or home .
Paul

Old 06-22-2000, 08:23 PM
Nate_64
Senior User
90 5.8L croaked on me

I finally got to work on my truck today- have been sick and unable to for the past couple of days. Anyway, Both I and the truck have fully recovered.
As usual, it never goes like it says in the book. I had tested the coil and replaced TFI, so I planned to replace the pickup coil. I took it to the shop where my father-in-law works to get the drive gear pressed off and-- oops! The shaft split!! Luckily he cashed in a favor for me and got a Motorcraft reman distributor for free (free is always good). After bringing the new one back home (and returning the now-not-needed pickup coil- new dist came with one)- I put in the distributor, lined up my marks and... nothing. No fire. If this truck had been any other than my baby I might have gotten mad, but I retraced my steps, testing everything again- and found of all things a bad coil.
What I don't understand is that the coil was putting out good fire (arm is still numb) when I tested it before, but now it wasn't. I'm sure the coil was not the only problem because the truck was not getting fire even when the coil tested ok. Is it possible that a fading coil damaged my pickup coil and then gave out as well? I guess anything is possible, but it seemed strange that this coil that just tested good would all of a sudden (when the truck hadn't been running) go bad. Oh well, it's fixed now anyway.
Paul, thanks for all your help. I would have been lost without the info you gave.

Nate

1964 F-100 292 V-8 3 spd
1990 F-150 5.8L

Old 06-22-2000, 08:55 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
90 5.8L croaked on me

Nate ,
Always welcome , Thanks . Im wondering when you tested the coil if thats when it didnt die . Since you got zapped the coil may not have grounded enough ? Its possible the coil windings may have been weak and didnt take much to finish them off ? Anyway , Im glad you got running .
Paul

Old 06-23-2000, 10:49 AM
DannyP
Elder User
90 5.8L croaked on me

It is possible you ain't out of the woods yet.
I had a corroded pigtail and wires on a relay on the left fenderwell that behaved as you described.
It would run fine then cut out all of a sudden then fire back up. Better check these relays and wires just to be safe.
Danny

Old 06-23-2000, 01:31 PM
Nate_64
Senior User
90 5.8L croaked on me

Danny,
Are you referring to the starter solenoid? If so, I checked and replaced it along with a few other starter-related components a short time ago when I was trying to diagnose a problem with slow cranking when the engine was hot. Turned out to be my timing then.
If that's not what you are talking about let me know- I want to make sure I don't end up on the side of a dark road in a bad part of town at 11:00 at night again anytime soon!

Thanks!

Nate

1964 F-100 292 V-8 3 spd
1990 F-150 5.8L

Old 06-23-2000, 05:31 PM
DannyP
Elder User
90 5.8L croaked on me

Nate,
No, it's not the starter solenoid I am referring to. On my 89 there are (or I should say were, I went to a carb) two relays on the left fenderwell. One runs the electric fuel pumps and the other runs the EEC (computer). Both pigtails on mine had corroded connections. When I started poking around them one wire broke completely off.
Went to Ford and bought the pigtails. Only about $12 apiece. Not too bad a price. My problem started out gradually, I would be driving down the rode and it would shut off just like you had turned the key off, everything went dead, then it would start right back up on its own (I have a straight shift). I knew from past experience with my local Ford dealer that they would never be able to diagnose an intermittant problem like that so I kept driving it. It gradually got worse and one day left me on the side of the road. At least at this point I could figure it out without it costing me a fortune (my Dad pulled me home).
Let me know what you find out.
Danny

Old 06-23-2000, 08:14 PM
gwmontgomery
New User
90 5.8L croaked on me