6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Truck died in Fort Stockton, TX

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 08:42 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Good on you for knowing your stuff man. You'll find the right truck.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:28 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
https://www.copart.com/lot/33943080
https://www.copart.com/lot/34400191/...portland-north
https://www.copart.com/lot/33880861/...-duty-mi-ionia

This one's interesting. https://www.copart.com/lot/37955801/...ar-little-rock

Never seen one stripped like that - looks like they just wanted the heater core?? What did they take off - the entire fender well? Unusual: it's still got a clean title - prolly means it wasnt insured.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:31 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Here's a real nice one - the guy has a $27k minimum bid on a 2007.

https://www.copart.com/lot/35152101/...salt-lake-city

Old 04-04-2021, 09:56 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by IHateCommieCars
Here's a real nice one - the guy has a $27k minimum bid on a 2007.

https://www.copart.com/lot/35152101/...salt-lake-city
I'd like to know what kind of coke they're smoking that the estimated retail value is $32K USD on a 14 model year old vehicle with 128K miles.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:58 AM
Fuzzpuss
Cargo Master
Received 448 Likes on 296 Posts
Originally Posted by m-chan68
LOL. It's nice being "6.0 smart" isn't it, when going truck shopping? I'm sure with that list of things found wrong with it, you're translating that to amount of dollars needed to address that list, post-purchase.
No doubt it is empowering to know my way around a 6.0L when shopping for one.

Mechanically speaking, that truck is significantly worse than what I started with five years ago, even though is has 40k fewer miles than mine had.

Old 04-05-2021, 01:04 AM
Fuzzpuss
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Good on you for knowing your stuff man. You'll find the right truck.
It does help to have diagnostic tools. Tools I knew nothing about when I bought my first 6.0L.

I brought a tee-in pressure sensor for coolant pressure, Edge Evolution, and laptop with AutoEnginuity. Didn't even get to the laptop. I found enough problems using just the first two tools. LOL

Old 04-05-2021, 01:14 AM
Fuzzpuss
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by m-chan68
I'd like to know what kind of coke they're smoking that the estimated retail value is $32K USD on a 14 model year old vehicle with 128K miles.
No doubt. That kind of money puts it in used 6.7L range.

These auction vehicles would be tempting if I had a well running truck, and if I had a shop bigger than a small two car garage full of machine tools.

Btw- Copart in El Paso is where my truck was towed. I don't know what the lot number is so I can't search vin/lot. So I did a search for 2003 F250 in Texas and it didn't come up.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:10 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
This one's interesting. https://www.copart.com/lot/37955801/...ar-little-rock

Never seen one stripped like that - looks like they just wanted the heater core?? What did they take off - the entire fender well? Unusual: it's still got a clean title - prolly means it wasnt insured.
Pulled the core to find an engine problem - made the determination it was too bad to fix and walked away.

Old 04-05-2021, 11:43 AM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
I expect you're right, Jack. The CarFax doesn't report a theft. The guy bought the truck less than a year ago. Wouldn't be one I'd ever mess with, but it is a nice-looking truck with a good interior and reasonable miles. There's another truck on there with only 107k miles but real beat up, unrepairable. Between the two, there's a real nice truck to be had.

That was just one auction site, one day. In general, these trucks sell for low enough to pay for the repairs. Most are bought by either dismantlers or tote-the-note shops - either sell for parts or repair an sell. There's always a risk, but you can mitigate those a lot by not taking them - don't go for the most beat up, or the mysteries (why is this truck in an auction?)

And, I only filtered on the No License Required trucks, which eliminates most of the inventory. You can find plenty of nicer trucks, but you have to be a licensed dealer to bid. But, you can pay a broker to bid for you, usually a few hundred dollars.

I'm different from y'all in that I'm looking for cheap work trucks because I put lots of miles on them real fast. I like to find low mile wrecks and use them up, then sell them for what's left. I've always gotten more than I paid for them.

Most of y'all want nice, pretty trucks, and that's OK. You just gotta pay lots of money for that. Most of mine, I would never try to make look perfect again. They're not worth the effort. But, they look OK, and they're basically free for me. Just got back from a trip in my latest shuttle bus, the one I paid $2600, then had to replace the injector and the transmission. Truck ran great, another 6000 miles I got out of it. Made about $5000, which makes about $15000 I've made with it so far, and that's not counting all the hotel rooms it saved me. I know I could sell it for at least $10000, still only has 92k miles.

I bet I could go find a low-mile 2005-2007 F250, less than 150k miles, XLT or nicer, repair it to Good (not Excellent, but nice enough to help you get laid) Condition, for easily less than $10k, drive that truck for 50k miles within two years, and still sell it for $8000. That's having a nice truck for a couple of years for less than $100/month. Of course, I'll have made $30,000 with it in those 50k miles.

Yeah, it'll have a salvage title, but no one cares when it's a 15+-year old vehicle. Once you get much over 200k miles, certainly 250k, all these trucks are valued as if there will be no residual value left. The value is how many times they'll get you to work and back, or with trucks, how many jobs they'll let you complete. The only people who care about salvage titles on 15-year old trucks are the owners of 15-year old trucks with clean titles and payments left.

Chris, some other auctions in your area that allow unlicense bidders are IAAI (member fee though), ReneBates - lots of local tow yards, municipalities, universities, etc, Lone Star Auctions - ditto; and Richie Brothers - more big trucks, mostly clean titles, but lots of fleet trucks. I've seen a lot of drilling company F150/250s in their Hou/Dal yards recently.

Go buy one a beater cars first, $500-$1000, so you have something to drive around until you find a good deal. It's OK - you're already married. Those are easy to find and get most/all of your money back on quickly. Hell, now that I think about it, a wife would prolly "love" you more for driving that beater while you look for the deal. They'll deny, claim it's what's best for the family, but we know it's really their version of Husband B&D.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:01 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Fuzzpuss
No doubt. That kind of money puts it in used 6.7L range.

These auction vehicles would be tempting if I had a well running truck, and if I had a shop bigger than a small two car garage full of machine tools.

Btw- Copart in El Paso is where my truck was towed. I don't know what the lot number is so I can't search vin/lot. So I did a search for 2003 F250 in Texas and it didn't come up.
It'll take a couple of months for them to get the title work done. You should see it come up soon though, with a "Future" auction date. And, I hear you about the small garage and need for another vehicle. I evangelize for auction vehicles in general, because the audience here is so capable that I don't know why more don't do it, but I realize it's not for everyone, that most of y'all actually have lives. Everything I do revolves around avoiding employment - I've been off the financial grid for 15 years and don't want back on. Buying cheap trucks for cash (no loans) is all part of the reindeer games for red-nosed me. Y'all got other games to play.

Old 04-05-2021, 03:09 PM
marker223
Mountain Pass
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
It'll take a couple of months for them to get the title work done. You should see it come up soon though, with a "Future" auction date. And, I hear you about the small garage and need for another vehicle. I evangelize for auction vehicles in general, because the audience here is so capable that I don't know why more don't do it, but I realize it's not for everyone, that most of y'all actually have lives. Everything I do revolves around avoiding employment - I've been off the financial grid for 15 years and don't want back on. Buying cheap trucks for cash (no loans) is all part of the reindeer games for red-nosed me. Y'all got other games to play.
Ok...I’ll bite. What do you do exactly?

Old 04-05-2021, 04:03 PM
marker223
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Fuzzpuss
My wife got injured at work so I've been driving her car. It's not ideal; I can't haul sheets of drywall but I am impressed that I was able to comfortably fit an 8' a-frame ladder in it.

I had my eye on a replacement since a week after it was stolen. 2006 F250 crew shortbed FX4 with 218k for $16k. Very clean, studded, roll-up tonneau, newly reupholstered seats. Two owners, both known to the guy who made the introduction, and said to have taken good care of the truck. Problem is that "friend" told them I wasn't interested after my truck was recovered. They posted it on craigslist without saying anything to me, even though we shook on it, and the day I reached out to talk about ironing out the details, it was being test driven and ultimately sold to that buyer. Considering what I've been seeing on the market here, that was the best deal I'm going to see. Tomorrow I'm going to look at this:

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ct...293066381.html

Problem is, it doesn't look like I can buy anything until the insurance check comes in, whenever that is.

My buddy here in Ft Worth buys auction vehicles. He just sent me this:
[img]blob:https://www.ford-trucks.com/84e57aae-c61f-4ace-90c3-46a439e149a5[/img]

Last edited by marker223; 04-05-2021 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Didn’t attach correctly
Old 04-05-2021, 04:08 PM
marker223
Mountain Pass
Average selling price is just under $10K with average miles 222K.

Old 04-05-2021, 04:35 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by marker223
Ok...I’ll bite. What do you do exactly?
dang, wasnt trying to sound mysterious. re these trucks, I use them to "slow shot" deliveries around the country. It's nothing to boast about; I dont make much money at it. Primary benefits: 1. I dont have to suck azz, 2. Work when I want for whom I want without sucking azz, 3. No 1099s so I dont suck IRS azz, and 4. I dont have a wife or GF whose azz I have to suck. Mostly, it's about not sucking azz. Did way more than my share for 40 years.

Old 04-05-2021, 04:42 PM
marker223
Mountain Pass
dang, wasnt trying to sound mysterious. re these trucks, I use them to "slow shot" deliveries around the country. It's nothing to boast about; I dont make much money at it. Primary benefits: 1. I dont have to suck azz, 2. Work when I want for whom I want without sucking azz, 3. No 1099s so I dont suck IRS azz, and 4. I dont have a wife or GF whose azz I have to suck. Mostly, it's about not sucking azz. Did way more than my share for 40 years.
Dang...that sounds glorious! Looking for a partner? We can sell franchises nationwide. The corporate motto can be “We Don’t Suck Azz!”

Quick Reply: Truck died in Fort Stockton, TX