1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Firewall Pads?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 09:42 AM
624WD
More Turbo
Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Firewall Pads?

I saw an ABS molded firewall pad on Ebay and wondered if anyone here has installed one of these. My 4x4 is in need of sound and heat protection.

my plan was to spray lizard skin on the floor or use a stick on sound proofing material, and apply carpet.

wondering if those firewall pads fit well, and also offer sound and heat protection? And if these pads will fit with my plan?

here is a link. Thoughts? And perhaps another way to ask this is: what sound and heat protection would you’all recommend and what has worked well?

thanks.

tom

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-1966-F...IAAOSw9N1ViI-U

Old 02-08-2021, 07:56 AM
jjriley97
More Turbo
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
My guess is it will help, but will need other things to cut down on the resonance of all of the metal in the cab. My firewall is the last place I need to tackle and I have been wondering about that pad as well. I can't speak to that specifically, but I can tell you what has been done on mine and it has all helped. I have a rubber pad with jute floor padding under and it greatly reduces the road noise. I have also put fiberglass insulation in the roof above the headliner and have other insulating padding in the cab corners on either side of the back window as well as the back wall behind the seat. I also added Noico sound deadener to the inside of the doors, which reduces the hollow metal sound and helps out. Most of it was bare metal until about a month ago, but since adding all of that it is a night and day difference for temperature control and noise is reduced. I still get wind noise from the top side and I don't know that can be mitigated. I think a lot of it comes from the drip rail cutting the wind going down the road.

Old 02-08-2021, 02:17 PM
resonateur
Fleet Mechanic
Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Tom:
I used the ABS firewall pad, but mine was from Dennis Carpenter. So...I don't know if they would be from the same manufacturer. It did fit well (though it did take some pulling, tugging and trimming) and I like it a lot better than those old oilboard firewall pads which break easily. I used Dynamat on all of the cab including under the dash, firewall, floor, roof and doors. I like that material very much and the cab is really nice and quiet, as well, the doors sound really solid when you close them. However, the engine (390) does develop quite a bit of heat and I probably could have used an additional thermal barrier on the firewall. Dynamat is a good sound insulator, not so much thermal. Keep in mind the more stuff you place on the firewall, the more work to make holes and fit the firewall pad.

Old 02-08-2021, 04:11 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Purchased many years ago and there is a jute type backing and the firewall pad which is flexible so doubt it is made of ABS(?) Appears most, if not all, Ford part suppliers now carry the ABS pad. I used aluminum backed jute for.the flooring then aluminum tape to secure along the sides. If one has a trans tunnel suggest lay insulation such that in the event the clutch needs replacing one does not need to tear-up the flooring. Same if decide to go with carpet.

With my singing vent windows, water relief and ducting channels throughout the cab not much more I can do to heat the cab up on a cold winter morning other than add additional clothing.

Old 02-08-2021, 04:13 PM
66F250_4x4
None of the above
Received 122 Likes on 100 Posts
I used the dynamat (noise) and the dynapad (heat and noise) all around the cab and in the doors. I used a couple of thickness of the dyanpad, depending on how much build-up the area could afford. On the floor, I covered those directly with carpet kit. I removed the insulation from the carpet kit, since it was way too much build-up with the Dynapad.
It's much quieter now. The dynamat stuff is very sticky - It's gonna be difficult for me to get the transmission cover off, when the time comes. I would plan that better next time

Old 02-08-2021, 04:50 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
OMG, what an outstanding job done on the interior, I likit!! Originally when I had the carpet installed the shop sprayed the insulation flooring w/ an adhesive to secure the carpet to aluminum
backed jute to the floor, recently had to tear up the carpet to gain access to the trans tunnel, messy but when I re-installed the carpet found I could secure the top edge of the carpet under the bottom lip of the firewall pad and secure the sides under the vent kick panels and door floor seals, suggest if one need use adhesive to sure the carpet use sparingly?

Old 02-08-2021, 08:51 PM
66F250_4x4
None of the above
Received 122 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by daveengelson
OMG, what an outstanding job done on the interior, I likit!! Originally when I had the carpet installed the shop sprayed the insulation flooring w/ an adhesive to secure the carpet to aluminum
backed jute to the floor, recently had to tear up the carpet to gain access to the trans tunnel, messy but when I re-installed the carpet found I could secure the top edge of the carpet under the bottom lip of the firewall pad and secure the sides under the vent kick panels and door floor seals, suggest if one need use adhesive to sure the carpet use sparingly?
Thanks @daveengelson The family and I are enjoying it.
All that stuff does equal a more comfortable / quiet ride. For a moment I had a vinyl floor, and the internal echo was significant. The carpet was much better for sound.
I'll second with resonateur that adding the dynamat inside the door creates a more solid feel all around - highly recommended
One take away as partly noted, is that the dynamat has some major mastic-like adhesive/damper that is about .070" thick. That material gums up everything that goes through it - particularly machine screws (Like seat rail attachment, etc). I would suggest to anyone using dynamat to cut-out through-holes for machine screw fasteners and any other similar item. The stuff is a blessing and a curse. I am going to have a hell of a time removing the tranny tunnel one day, since I just plastered over that. On the other hand, I doubt I'll have any rust issues on the surfaces it is stuck to.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:59 AM
jjriley97
More Turbo
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by 66F250_4x4
Thanks @daveengelson The family and I are enjoying it.
All that stuff does equal a more comfortable / quiet ride. For a moment I had a vinyl floor, and the internal echo was significant. The carpet was much better for sound.
I had wondered about the difference in carpet vs rubber, but it makes sense.