Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

My new Ford compared to my old Chevy

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 09:05 AM
jeb
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My new Ford compared to my old Chevy

I've finally gotten close to 1000 miles on my Excursion so I thought I'd just do a write up on the differences between that truck and the one I got rid of to buy this one.

Trucks are:
03 black Excursion 4x4 Ltd 6.0PSD. Every option except the buckets in the 2nd row.
01 Chevy silver metallic HD2500 4x4 CC SB PU LT dmax/allison with a fiberglass topper. Every option, I believe.

Things I like more about the Ford. I like having a suburban type vehicle (which I owned 3 great models of) with a modern diesel. The power back window/vents are an awesome feature. The center console is HUGE. 44 gallon tank is a lot better than the 26 in the Chevy (suburbans have 44 or 45) as is the larger filler opening. The leather seems a bit nicer/thicker on the Ford. Adjustable pedals w/memory. Mute on the radio is a nice feature. Dash cup-holders. Rear seat seat-belts stay in place when folding the seats up and down. Extra set of door pockets. Power, extending mirrors. Lighted running boards. Key-less entry. More room behind the 2nd row seat than the 'burb (I always remove the 3rd row and store them). Wheels are nicer looking, IMO. Dashboard bins. Clip on the center console lid. Fog lights stay on once you pull it out (had to push a button each time you started the truck in the Chevy). Double sun visor. Stock tires are much better (BFG Rough Terrain on the ford vs the Firestone Stelltex on the chev).

Things I miss/liked more about the Chevy. Radio volume adjusted automatically as the speed increased. Temp and compass combined in rear view mirror where they were easy to see at a glance. Outside mirrors and rear-view were all auto-dimming. Didn't have to remove the headrests to fold the rear seat forward. Hi and low settings for the seat heaters that stayed on as long as YOU want them to. Seat heater controls were on the door where you could see them. Power lumbar adjust. Front seat side bolster adjustment. More front passenger leg room (very surprised by that one). 4 spoke steering wheel. Nicer overhead front seat reading/dome lights, by far. Articulated and adjustable head rests. Pull out extension for the sun visor so that it blocked the whole side window instead of just the front 2/3. Cruise control didn't have to be switched on every-time the truck was started. Came stock with a front winter radiator/grill cover.

Drivetrains are similar so far. Both are smooth running, smooth shifting and strong. The PSD doesn't have that kick in the back like the dmax did when doing things like passing but I know it took the dmax about 20k to develop all it's power so I'll be patient there. It's plenty strong feels almost as quick as the dmax according to my seat-of-the-pants accelerometer.

The PSD is way louder when cold, though. It's only somewhat louder once warmed up. I was surprised by that one. I thought it'd be very quiet like the dmax was. I had to shut it off at a drive-through that I didn't have to with my dmax. Still, it's not as bad as the older generation diesels. I'm not real pleased that it takes 15 qts of oil, either. 5 more than the dmax. Not a huge deal but why? It's nice that the oil filter is so easy to get at, though.

The PSD has to crank about twice as long as the dmax did before starting, too. I'm hoping that doesn't hurt me on those -25f days when it's not possible to plug it in at work. The shifter on the Ex looks to be the same one that was in our 95 Coachman Class C. Just looks low-tech and dated compared to the GM. Except for the compass feature, the OH trip computer appears to be useless. It's not close on my mpg and I'll still look a lot harder at the fuel gauge than the miles to empty number to figure out when I need fuel. Maybe it'll grow on me, though.

The Ford is taller. That's good and bad. I personally like it but, at the same time, I worry about the higher COG. My wife rolled an Explorer so she worries about it even more. The extra height makes it so I can't get it into a parking ramp downtown that my other truck fit in. The 6'7" PCV bar hits the luggage rack. I don't use that ramp a lot but it's annoying, none the less. Still, the truck guy in me likes the extra height.

There are some other differences like in ride and features but it's not really fair comparing a pickup with an excursion with the stuff I'm talking about here so I'll leave that alone.

Overall, I really like my new truck a lot. I just wish I could combine the best of both sometimes. None of what I've mentioned is a big deal. Some gains, some losses. I'll get used to everything just fine. Did I say I really like my new truck a lot, yet?

I'm not picking on one brand or the other. I just thought it might be helpful for some folks that may be thinking about making the switch one way or the other.

Old 11-03-2003, 06:56 PM
jeb
Elder User
Did my first tow with the 6.0 last week. I put 1000 miles on with my enclosed trailer (19.5'x8.5' tall, double axle Vee nose). Pretty much nothing in it going down. Maybe 4500 pounds. Total interstate haul. I was impressed on the way down with the drivetrain. Kept it's gear MUCH better on rolling hills. The dmax would kick down a lot more. Probably on the order of 5 times more often, at least. That did always bother me about that truck. Not that it couldn't keep the speed. Also, when it kicked down, it was a lot louder than the 6.0, too. That's the only time it was ever louder than the 6.0, though.

Anyway, I cruised 8-9 over all the way in mostly 70mph roads. Got 11.5 mpg, which I was pretty happy with for a truck with that few miles. I got about 1-1.5 more with the dmax on the same cruise after it was broken in. I was really impressed with the power. I can see why it's doing so well in the pull off's.

Driveability was another issue. Steered straight but passing semi's was always a tail wagging experience. It was as if the trailer was wagging the Ex's tail. Kind of disconcerting. I know the Ex is softer suspended for the soccer mom's but my 99 3/4 ton 'burb did not have this problem with the same trailer. I guess I need to look into stiffening up the suspension, at least under load.

The trip back was a reversal, though. I had loaded up two new dirtbikes so I added about 450 pounds to the load total. First, when I took off from the store, the truck would only do 70 max floored going downhill. I pulled over on the interstate, put the flashers on and re-started it. Power was back. Not happy about it as it's the 2nd time this has happened in 1500 miles.

Mileage went in the toilet at just under 9 pulling the same roads, same speeds. Check engine light came on just north of KC and stayed on all the way to SE MN. The truck still ran fine, though, except for the mileage.

I'm not sure what to make of the truck at this point. I was so in love with the drivetrain on the way down and so disappointed with it on the way back. I can go back to a gasser for 8-9 mpg! The inconsistency of it is really bothering me. The dmax was 100% there all the time. No issues, no quirks.

Looks like it's time for a service appointment.

Old 11-07-2003, 10:24 AM
ktmguy70
Elder User
Jeb

Let us know how it goes, I sure hope none of those 6.0 gremlins and issues are popping up on you, keep us informed.

Ron
00 Excursion limited 4x4 V-10

Last edited by Ratsmoker; 11-07-2003 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:11 PM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Jeb, that was one of the best, down to earth, un-biased comparisons I have seen in a good long while. All consumer experience with no guesstimations. Thanks for taking the time to post that. It was well worth reading!

Old 11-07-2003, 12:14 PM
ktmguy70
Elder User
Jeb

Please replace the word "SOME" with NONE in my upper post, I wanna wish you good things not bad!!!
Bad Typing

Also second the good post

Ron

Old 11-07-2003, 12:28 PM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I fixed it!

Old 11-07-2003, 12:34 PM
ktmguy70
Elder User
Thank you

I Didnt Want him to thinking I was jinxing him!!!

Ron

Old 11-07-2003, 06:40 PM
jeb
Elder User
Thanks guys.

Couple of notes. I found out that there is a way to get the radio to turn it self up as speed increases. Cool! Nice to have that function in both trucks. I'm disappointed that the Ford has no place to put the gas cap when you're filling up. It just hangs against the side of the truck. The GM's have a holder on the inside of the cap. The newer suburban's apprently have a smaller tank of like 36. My last suburban, a 99, had a 44 or 45 so that's what I was comparing to.

I took it in and was happy with the service appt (first time in). They replaced a turbo actuator, flashed it with the latest, reset the check engine light which also pointed to the actuator, balanced the tires (which I didn't even complain about) and aligned it.

I drove it for 200 miles today and it ran fine. Indicated mileage on the OH computer was up some but I don't trust that so we'll see. It actually seems a little quieter on startup, too. No apparent drawbacks so far to the flash.