2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2020 Lifts - Need Help Deciding Carli vs. BDS

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 05:33 PM
4Seams
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 Lifts - Need Help Deciding Carli vs. BDS

I'm trying to decide what lift to go with on my 2020 F350 CCLB 6.7. I've always liked taller trucks and want that look for mine. I have 3.55 gears and plan on running 37s. From what I've learned, the Carli suspension systems are going to give me the best everyday ride, and I'm leaning towards the 3.5" system (Commuter or Backcountry). The other system I'm considering is the 4" BDS system, which I like the look of. I haven't seen either one in person though, and I'm worried the Carli system look won't be quite what I'm looking for, even though I prefer that kit for the performance. All the pictures/videos I've seen of the 3.5" Carli just don't quite have that lifted truck look, vs the pictures of the BDS 4" definitely have that lifted look. Note that I don't want to go super high, roller skate, etc. look, and therefore I'm also hesitant to consider a Carli 5.5", which would be about 1.5" higher than I'm looking for. Supposedly there's only 1/2" difference between the 4" BDS and the 3.5" Carli, but looking at pictures they don't seem to be anywhere near close?! I will say that pictures seem to have a really strong dependency on camera angles. Or maybe is it just the stance, i.e., tire/wheel offset that makes the truck with BDS lift (below) look more aggressive?

As for BDS, how's the ride compared to stock with the Fox shocks option? I don't really see myself screaming over whoops or anything like that, just some dirt/gravel washboard roads here and there. I called BDS and the guy I talked to was adamant that the 2020 BDS 4" kit is indeed 4" from 2020 stock, meaning its about 1" lower than a 2017-2019 4" kit. However, I find it interesting that the 2019 BDS 4" kit uses a 5" rear block, while the 2020 BDS 4" kit uses a 4.5" block. On the other hand the Carli guys say the 3.5" system will be dead level with no rear changes (leave the stock 2" block in) or about 0.5" rear high with their add-a-packs replacing the rear stock block. Between BDS 2020 and Carli, the BDS pushes the rear up 2.5" vs 0.5" with the Carli add-a-packs. For supposedly only a 0.5" difference overall between the kits, why the 2" discrepancy in the rear? EDIT: Playing around on the BDS webpage, I found they have a discrepancy for block size. In the description it calls out 4.5", but if you build a kit the summary says 3", which makes more sense.
See below:

Carli 3.5" & 37s

BDS 4" & 37s

Carli 3.5" & 37s Up Close

BDS 4" & 37s Up Close

Carli 2.5" on 2018 & 37s (Equivalent to 3.5" on 2020)

BDS 4" on 37s (sorry about the sales dude)

Bottom line is, does the Carli 3.5" actually have that big presence, and I'm just not seeing it? Is it all a matter of camera angles and perspective? If its truly only a 0.5" difference between the two, I think the 3.5 will look great and I'll be happy, but whenever I look at the pics I have doubts. Anybody else see this, or have experience with them side by side? Any pics or thoughts would be great to help me decide. Thanks y'all.

Old 08-17-2020, 06:35 PM
allendks45
Tuned
Received 108 Likes on 58 Posts
As someone who has had both and who was more recently running the full Pintop with every option until I put factory springs back in due to poor payload/bumper towing with add-a-packs. If you are considering Carli means budget isn't a problem. Do you plan on towing heavy or carrying heavy loads? My 4" BDS was a complete kit and it was a good ride on the Fox 2.0 with external resi's. I bet you could get a little better performance with the 2.5's though. Like you pointed out if you aren't bombing the whoops and really aggressive off-road I think the BDS kit is good for everyday performance and getting into some serious off road trails. The Carli will flex a lot more and get you into some really serious 'jeep' type terrain with no problem and you can bomb down dirt roads at higher speeds. The BDS was just a tad behind on higher speeds. If you do go with Carli I'd recommend finding a full leaf pack made for what you need it to do. A soft rear will squat under load and you'll need bags or overloads to maintain tow/hauling abilities. Just my .02 and it's your wallet.

Old 08-17-2020, 07:54 PM
Mainebucks
More Turbo
Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts
Take note that all those photos are of short beds. 4 inches looks like very little on a long bed/crew cab. I am going with the BDS 6" radius arm lift on mine with 37's or more likely 38's. It is due to come out this summer, if you check their website.
If you like lifted trucks then you definitely will want the 6 inch with the CCLB. Get a drop hitch and you will pull anything just fine. IMHO.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:41 PM
4Seams
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by allendks45
As someone who has had both and who was more recently running the full Pintop with every option until I put factory springs back in due to poor payload/bumper towing with add-a-packs. If you are considering Carli means budget isn't a problem. Do you plan on towing heavy or carrying heavy loads? My 4" BDS was a complete kit and it was a good ride on the Fox 2.0 with external resi's. I bet you could get a little better performance with the 2.5's though. Like you pointed out if you aren't bombing the whoops and really aggressive off-road I think the BDS kit is good for everyday performance and getting into some serious off road trails. The Carli will flex a lot more and get you into some really serious 'jeep' type terrain with no problem and you can bomb down dirt roads at higher speeds. The BDS was just a tad behind on higher speeds. If you do go with Carli I'd recommend finding a full leaf pack made for what you need it to do. A soft rear will squat under load and you'll need bags or overloads to maintain tow/hauling abilities. Just my .02 and it's your wallet.
Thanks for that. I tow our travel trailer (~9500lbs) several times a year, and would be willing to put in air bags at some point if I needed to. I am under the impression that the add-a-packs don't decrease the payload, rather they replace the helper spring with 5 smaller leafs to progressively handle that portion of the load. I suppose it probably would sag a bit more with those leafs being more compliant.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:00 PM
allendks45
Tuned
Originally Posted by 4Seams
Thanks for that. I tow our travel trailer (~9500lbs) several times a year, and would be willing to put in air bags at some point if I needed to. I am under the impression that the add-a-packs don't decrease the payload, rather they replace the helper spring with 5 smaller leafs to progressively handle that portion of the load. I suppose it probably would sag a bit more with those leafs being more compliant.
My toy hauler was around 10.5k fully loaded. Had to run 80 or more in the bags. Truck camper fully loaded around 4k. I can tell you 100% certain the factory springs handle the load better. What's the point of progressive springs when you got to keep air in the bags? Having custom springs made would probably get you best of both towing and off-road. Love the Carli though when I'm not towing or carrying the slide in camper. Make sure you understand the trade offs

Old 08-17-2020, 09:14 PM
4Seams
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Mainebucks
Take note that all those photos are of short beds. 4 inches looks like very little on a long bed/crew cab. I am going with the BDS 6" radius arm lift on mine with 37's or more likely 38's. It is due to come out this summer, if you check their website.
If you like lifted trucks then you definitely will want the 6 inch with the CCLB. Get a drop hitch and you will pull anything just fine. IMHO.

Yes, finding pictures of 2020 long beds with each of these systems was proving to be tough. I love the long bed look though. You make a good point in that I've only seen 2017-2019 long beds with 4", and those would be at least an inch higher than the 2020s. Here's a 2019 LB with 4" BDS:

2019 4" BDS LA with 37s
Maybe sticking to the more sure look of the BDS is the safe way to go. I actually don't mind the pavement ride of my 2020 stock, but the washboard roads ride sucks. If the BbDS is going to be even some improvement, then maybe I won't regret not getting the Carli.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:46 PM
4Seams
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by allendks45
My toy hauler was around 10.5k fully loaded. Had to run 80 or more in the bags. Truck camper fully loaded around 4k. I can tell you 100% certain the factory springs handle the load better. What's the point of progressive springs when you got to keep air in the bags? Having custom springs made would probably get you best of both towing and off-road. Love the Carli though when I'm not towing or carrying the slide in camper. Make sure you understand the trade offs
I may be wrong, but I would think the point would be so that 80-90% of the time when you're running around unloaded, you enjoy the benefit of the nice ride. Only when you're loaded up would you be running high psi in the bags, and even then the load helps to dampen out any harshness, even with factory springs. Am I looking at that wrongly? Glad to get the opinions, as I do want to be sure I understand all the give and takes before deciding, so thanks!

Old 08-19-2020, 09:29 PM
MSUConrad
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im just glad to see that someone else is over analyzing this as much as I am! We tow a fifth wheel that 40’ and heavy. Want to run 37s, but not sacrificing towing....or look dumb doing it!

Old 08-19-2020, 11:05 PM
Lmhayes88
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I am also in the same position, I want to run 37's but not sacrifice any payload, I think I have finally decided to go with BDS but then change the shocks. Accutune in southern CA can provide custom tuned shock to make it a nice soft ride but keep my payload. the lower cost of the BDS lift will help justify getting tuned shocks to my specific needs.

Old 08-20-2020, 07:53 AM
allendks45
Tuned
Originally Posted by Lmhayes88
I am also in the same position, I want to run 37's but not sacrifice any payload, I think I have finally decided to go with BDS but then change the shocks. Accutune in southern CA can provide custom tuned shock to make it a nice soft ride but keep my payload. the lower cost of the BDS lift will help justify getting tuned shocks to my specific needs.
BDS is a good system and it's all in the shock tuning IMO. I read all the time about how Carli rides smooth on the road. I call BS. It's better than stock but no matter what the rear ends on these trucks are meant to haul and pull. With nothing in the back don't care what vendor you choose the rear is always going to be rough. Throw in airbags that need a minimum of 5-10psi and the progressive (smoother) springs go out the window. There goes $800-1400 bucks. If I had to do it over again I'd went with BDS because I use my truck and it performed better with the BDS. I've heard good things about Accutune and their shock tuning and will check them out for future builds.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:13 AM
nbayless36
Senior User
should have my 4" bds installed on my CCLB this time next week, I'll post a picture when its done. I've been back and forth on 4" vs 6" but just decided to go with the 4".

Old 08-20-2020, 08:51 AM
Icelink
Tuned
Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
I would not run anything less than 40s on my superduty if i was doing a 4 inch lift

I have 37s on mine with only a 2.5 inch front ready lift

Old 08-20-2020, 01:33 PM
4Seams
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by nbayless36
should have my 4" bds installed on my CCLB this time next week, I'll post a picture when its done. I've been back and forth on 4" vs 6" but just decided to go with the 4".
What tire/wheel size are you going with? Can't wait to see it...can you make sure to get full, straight on side pictures to help with the perspectives? Looking forward to your thoughts when you get it back!

Old 08-20-2020, 01:37 PM
4Seams
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Icelink
I would not run anything less than 40s on my superduty if i was doing a 4 inch lift

I have 37s on mine with only a 2.5 inch front ready lift
So your 2019 with 2.5" level should be pretty close to a Carli 3.5" on a 2020. Would you mind posting bigger pic of your avatar, or similar side pics? Thanks!

Old 08-20-2020, 01:49 PM
nbayless36
Senior User
Originally Posted by 4Seams
What tire/wheel size are you going with? Can't wait to see it...can you make sure to get full, straight on side pictures to help with the perspectives? Looking forward to your thoughts when you get it back!
I'm going to run the wheels and tires I pulled off my 17 before I traded it. they will be Sota 20x9 +12mm offset with 37x12.5 nitto terra grapplers. I'm curious to see how much if at all taller it will be than my 17 with a 2.5" leveling kit.

Quick Reply: 2020 Lifts - Need Help Deciding Carli vs. BDS