6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Oil filter thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 09:35 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,367 Likes on 4,626 Posts
Oil filter thread

I recently received my Donaldson P502503 oil filter 3 pack from Amazon. Crossfilters.com has them for $48 with free shipping and Amazon was 50 with Prime.

​​​​@55 BelAir Wagon this is also for you since you recently asked about oil filters for your recently deleted truck. I wanted to share with the group here. The efficiency is 99% at 15 microns which is better than the FL2051S. I believe I saw it was 98% at maybe 30 microns. Don't quote me though. I'll find it again.

What I found interesting was the mouth of the Donaldson compared to the Motorcraft. The Donaldson opens right up after the threads where the Motorcraft continues down some before opening up. Is any of this relevant? I don't know. Just putting it out there.

For the next change, I'll use the Motorcraft. Then start using the Donaldsons.

Donaldson on the left, MC on the right.

MC

Donaldson

MC

Donaldson

Just wanted to post up and get everyone's input, what they use, etc. Have at it, guys.

Last edited by Overkill2; 07-08-2020 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Add to post
Old 07-08-2020, 10:04 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
The difference is a top mounted bypass valve vs. A bottom mount valve.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:06 AM
mjs2011
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Overkill2
The efficiency is 99% at 15 microns which is better than the FL2051S. I believe I saw it was 98% at maybe 30 microns. Don't quote me though. I'll find it again.

What I found interesting was the mouth of the Donaldson compared to the Motorcraft. The Donaldson opens right up after the threads where the Motorcraft continues down some before opening up. Is any of this relevant? I don't know. Just putting it out there.

Could be more filter media surface area in the donaldson? It opens up sooner for a taller filter stack. Maybe thats to compensate for pressure drop too since its a finer filter.

A side by side comparison of the donaldson and motorcraft each cut open would be interesting. I realize that would mean a waste of two perfectly good filters though.

Curious to hear how these filters work out.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:25 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by ford390gashog
The difference is a top mounted bypass valve vs. A bottom mount valve.
Originally Posted by mjs2011
Could be more filter media surface area in the donaldson? It opens up sooner for a taller filter stack. Maybe thats to compensate for pressure drop too since its a finer filter.

A side by side comparison of the donaldson and motorcraft each cut open would be interesting. I realize that would mean a waste of two perfectly good filters though.

Curious to hear how these filters work out.
Appreciate the comments guys. I'm not knocking the Motorcraft filter at all. I just can't leave well enough alone. You guys seem to have more knowledge than I.
I have seen comments on the Donaldsons online and on other forums. The reviews seem favorable.

Old 07-08-2020, 02:30 PM
cumminsdieselfreak
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Donaldson has a huge following in the Cummins world with great reviews. I also believe Donaldson makes Amsoil oil filters.

Romans 10:13
See what we are up to on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
Or Email me at:
Joe@DudesDieselPerformance.com
https://dudesdieselperformance.com/
Old 07-08-2020, 04:32 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak
Donaldson has a huge following in the Cummins world with great reviews. I also believe Donaldson makes Amsoil oil filters.
Really? Didn't know that. I know Cummins Filtration makes the Fleet Guard filters. I hear those are very good also.

I have another thread here in this section for fuel filters. I inquired on Cummins Filtration website about their set of filters for the 6.7 Powerstroke. I'm waiting to hear back.

Old 07-08-2020, 05:48 PM
Martin6
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought about going with the Donaldson oil filters many times, but never placed the order. Looking forward to how they perform for you, especially since you're running the FS2500 bypass system.

I kept the FS2500 when I sold my 2008 6.4. I'm still debating on installing it on my 6.7.

Old 07-08-2020, 06:06 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by Martin6
I thought about going with the Donaldson oil filters many times, but never placed the order. Looking forward to how they perform for you, especially since you're running the FS2500 bypass system.

I kept the FS2500 when I sold my 2008 6.4. I'm still debating on installing it on my 6.7.
Speaking of the FS2500, here's a few pics I took today of the spin on conversion filter for the FS2500. I bought a 3 pack recently as even though they are expensive with shipping, the shipping goes up very little when you add more filters to the order.

It's next to the MC filter for comparison.

This upcoming oil change I will change the bypass filter as I didn't have a big enough filter wrench. I tried with a leather belt and she wouldn't go.

Good to go now... I AM OVERKILL.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:00 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
gonna put them in the washer and dryer first? Looks like you are in the laundry room, lol.

It would appear to me but check...looks like the oil ring seal is a match anyway.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:59 AM
55 BelAir Wagon
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Overkill2
I recently received my Donaldson P502503 oil filter 3 pack from Amazon. Crossfilters.com has them for $48 with free shipping and Amazon was 50 with Prime.

​​​​@55 BelAir Wagon this is also for you since you recently asked about oil filters for your recently deleted truck. I wanted to share with the group here. The efficiency is 99% at 15 microns which is better than the FL2051S. I believe I saw it was 98% at maybe 30 microns. Don't quote me though. I'll find it again.

For the next change, I'll use the Motorcraft. Then start using the Donaldsons.

Just wanted to post up and get everyone's input, what they use, etc. Have at it, guys.
Thanks, Dave! I bought a Motorcraft filter for my change this weekend, but I will be following this thread to see if I want to try the Donaldson filter next time. Thanks for thinking of me.

Regards,
John

Old 07-09-2020, 09:14 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
15 microns is very good. I thought the OEM was 25 or 30 and the amsoil 20 microns.

it would be nice to have a list.

aside from micron rating...it would be good to know how many grams of debris it holds....what the bypass PSI is...etc

but yes, Donaldson are good filters....but...in todays age of warranty denial ....me personally would put a motorcraft in before taking it in to ford for anything.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:47 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by senix
gonna put them in the washer and dryer first? Looks like you are in the laundry room, lol.

It would appear to me but check...looks like the oil ring seal is a match anyway.
Good eye! I was in the basement. I have my two remaining Motorcraft bags in a box, some other oil and those filters down there. The P502503 is their filter for the 6.7 application. The seals line up.

Originally Posted by 55 BelAir Wagon
Thanks, Dave! I bought a Motorcraft filter for my change this weekend, but I will be following this thread to see if I want to try the Donaldson filter next time. Thanks for thinking of me.

Regards,
John
No problem, bud.

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
15 microns is very good. I thought the OEM was 25 or 30 and the amsoil 20 microns.

it would be nice to have a list.

aside from micron rating...it would be good to know how many grams of debris it holds....what the bypass PSI is...etc

but yes, Donaldson are good filters....but...in todays age of warranty denial ....me personally would put a motorcraft in before taking it in to ford for anything.
Here's the specs on the Donaldson.

https://shop.donaldson.com/store/car...ils-DCI.jsp.1#

Here's the sell sheets for the Powerstroke filters.

https://powerstrokediesel.com/docs/SellSheets-3.pdf

From page 2 about the FD2051s filter:

Oil Filter Achieves an efficiency of 98% at 18 microns
holds up to 29 grams of contaminants
Holds 1.5 quarts of oil
Rated at 20 microns absolute
Dust holding capacity of 29 grams
100% microglass media
Silicone anti-drain back valve

Anyone have a source for the bypass PSI?

Old 07-09-2020, 12:20 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Old 07-09-2020, 12:57 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,677 Likes on 2,745 Posts
If the Motorcraft filter is 98% at 18 microns and the Donaldson is 15 microns, I don't see a compelling reason to switch.

Old 07-09-2020, 01:04 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
If the Motorcraft filter is 98% at 18 microns and the Donaldson is 15 microns, I don't see a compelling reason to switch.

have to agree From the warranty preservation perspective.. yes I know about the acts and laws but I don’t have the resources to take ford to court.

Quick Reply: Oil filter thread