Bronco II Ford Bronco II

SuperCharging a Bronco II

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 10:35 PM
hotshoe911
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SuperCharging a Bronco II

Hey Guys, I'm looking for anybody that has done or thought of supercharging a '90 Bronco II, 2.9L 4wd, auto. I have acquired a supercharger from a 3.8 Thunderbird SC and expect to start slamming it in there next week.

Any experience, recommendations, or general suggestion are welcome.

Old 08-30-2003, 10:06 AM
beefysbronco
Senior User

Very cool. Let us know how it goes.

Old 08-30-2003, 02:45 PM
WeWonIt
Elder User

I have seen it done on a Ranger, and aside from the obvoius mounting problems, the belts were difficult to get straight and retain the proper tightness. The location chosen on the ranger that I dealt with replaced the A/C compressor, and used the mounting brackets. It included alot of fabrication, and ingenuity. Good luck with it.

Old 08-30-2003, 10:42 PM
BigBill
Freshman User

Hey i was jw if you could keep me updated on how the surcharged bronco 2 is going because I would like to do the same thing to mine

Old 08-30-2003, 11:03 PM
hotshoe911
New User

Thanks for the interest guys. I plan to shot digital photos of the whole project and sent them in to the list.

Should be some fun!!!

Old 08-30-2003, 11:12 PM
hotshoe911
New User

BTW, you all might want to know that the SuperCharger came to me with the intake manifold, intercooler, injectors and all the plumbing. My biggest problems will be matching the manifold, changing out the crank pulley and setting up a pulley tensioner.

The engineering question of the day will be how much boost will the pistons and head gaskets take. I will need to adjust the blow off regulator to limit the boost, which rates at about 15 lbs.

Speculation is that it may get me a 75 HP increase.

I may need new tires after the first test run.

Old 09-01-2003, 12:22 AM
bigfry
Senior User

Hell, ya. Throw in some high octane gas and go. Be sure you don't let it get to lean while your tuning it up. Wouldn't want to burn up that hard work. And as far as boost goes, I have read several books on turbo and supercharging, And for that stock motor I'd say go no more then 4-6 psi boost. Just my thoughts. If they would have just offered it like that factory, or had a 302 or 351 options package. That would have been nice. Oh and I wouldn't expect the stock radiator to keep it cool. I really doubt it. You could also add a oil cooler to help out. Good luck, and don't blow yourself up.

Old 09-01-2003, 01:50 AM
hotshoe911
New User

Thanks for the suggestions BigFry, I want to take this project step by step.

I'm looking at a higher volume fuel pump at least and a higher speed electric radiator fan, but the oil cooler idea has merit. I may go for a T-bird radiator too, but not until I see what the original will handle.

I believe that 4 lbs, of boost may be a valid number, since I haven't "beefed up" anything else in the system, I want to limit the strain.

I will likely go to a larger (2 1/2") exhaust, to help with the breathing as well.

My intension is to keep my costs as low as possible, while still squizzing as much as I can out of the engine. I mean dropping a 5.0 Cobra might be easier, but would be cost prohibitive. I just want this engine to run better than stock and maybe give some incentive to others to try it themselves, .... if it works.

Old 09-01-2003, 01:06 PM
bigfry
Senior User

Yes I'd go with a higher flowing exhaust as well. And being unique has a quality all of its own. Yes a Cobra engine would make it blast off as well, but so would a extra 50 to 75 boosted horsies. I have a respect for people who build something different that works well. I mean look at my corolla, I'd pit it against a 1 ton dually anyday in a tug o war. www.geocities.com/worldrecord1/rides.html . Being different doesn't mean wrong. I am putting a 302 that I have in a F100 into my B2 but thats because I need the extra off idle torque for trails, which a super or turbo mainly adds at the middle to upper RPM range. I have bigger axles and 39.5 swampers that I'm going to mount on it. Along with building a full exo-cage. , I thought of using a Leaf Blower to give my yota a little boost, and I haven't done away with the idea either. Shoot, if I could give it 1-2 psi boost from idle to floored, I could grab 10-20 extra horses and torque, given that it probably only has 50 or so now, 1.6 liter. I just have gear reduction like a tractor.
175 to 1 ratio for crawling. Just go slow, and check and recheck after you finish each part, that way you can be certain you don't leave anything out or wrong, because haste will lead to waste. Good luck, and let us know how its going and if you run into problems, ask.

Last edited by Ken00; 09-01-2003 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:51 PM
BART M
Junior User

Originally posted by bigfry
Yes a Cobra engine would make it blast off as well,
yeah this is true, i went from 140hp to ~325hp, i havent got to put it on a GOOD dyno yet.

but yeah, SC'ng a 2.9 would be killer, id love to see the lower your gonna have to have made for it. if you do have complete success, make sure you get that lower patented or wahtever, that would be some killer return money for ya.
and well i mean this is just the way i think.....but if your gonna have to go to the extent of makin a new lower, and the motor is gonna be outta commission for a while......why not just build the dog crap outta it? i mean, if your gonna SC it, and you truely want to do a complete job (aside from fuel and whatnot), i would port the upper, the lower, the heads would get a nice p&p job, and i DEFINATELY would get a set of headers to go with the larger exhaust, lets face it, we all know that the way to make a 2.9 scream is get the air in, and get it out.....as fast as possible. im just saying dont short yourself.
btw, i have a 2.9 (just sittin here) that has the bottom end in it built, and its ready for FI............if it were wanted, id let it go.

but anyways, good luck to ya man.

Old 09-25-2003, 06:34 PM
tailgator
New User
i am interested on how the swap went. i have a 89 b2 with the 2.9 that has just been rebuilt. i want more power and was thinking about a supercharger. does anyone make one new?

Old 09-25-2003, 10:54 PM
hotshoe911
New User
The project is still in the final planning stages, but will move forward as soon as I finish the rebuild in my Saab 9000 Turbo and new chain tensioners on my Porsche 911S.

The Turbo now needs a new alternator and an exchaust system. The 911 also needs a new wiper motor and some weather seals.

So you all will understand why I am planing this project before I start to tear appart, what may be my only remaining form of transportation.

As for getting a new one, sure, Wipple and Paxton make superchargers that can be fitted to just about anything, but they will only package a "kit" for high volume customers.

Porsche, BMW, Mercedes and a bunch of "rice burners" will be available, but not likely anything for a Bronco II.

That is not to say that it can't be done, only that you will need to figure everything out for yourself.

My reason for going with the T-bird SC is that it is a Ford produce and has some shared parts that won't have to be manufactured just for this application. I'm still not sure if the 2.9L will be strong enough to handle the power. There are serious engineering concerns, not the least of which is how much boost before it gernades. But what the heck, it would need to be rebuilt someday, right?

Old 09-26-2003, 05:33 PM
goinlowbII
Junior User
diddent murker have a 2.9 that was made over seas by ford/merucry that had a turbo or supercharger on it ?

Old 09-26-2003, 05:40 PM
hotshoe911
New User
No they D-i-D-d-E-n-T! What you may be thinking of is a 2.3L Mercury Murkur.

Old 09-26-2003, 06:00 PM
goinlowbII
Junior User
wasent shure ..i had just ased a qustion... Mercury did make a 2.9 and put it in somthing and i do know of a 2.3 and it isent what i was refering too

Quick Reply: SuperCharging a Bronco II