1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1970 Highboy Rotisserie Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 04:01 AM
flyn-hawn
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1970 Highboy Rotisserie Restoration

Well we have finally jumped into the deep end and decided to do some full tilt restorations on Ford stuff. I have been doing Porsche 911 resto mods the past few years and my partner has been building race cars the past few years. We figured what the heck lets try it out, so we went to Oregon and bought this 1970 F250 from the original owners son. It only has 40K miles on it but unfortunately water got into one cylinder and it was frozen when we bought it, so we were not able to drive it. We got it home and gave it a good look over and could not decide what to do with it, so we started buffing the paint just to see what it would look like, and it looked amazing! We thought maybe we will keep the original paint and do a full mechanical resto. After a couple days talking and thinking we decided to rebuild it mainly back to stock with a few tweaks.

First we started disassembly of the truck and categorizing all the parts, not throwing away anything yet unless it was actually falling apart in our hands. It did not take long to get it down to its bare bones.
once we got it completely disassembled and clean enough to go to sandblast the frame went out for sandblast and powdercoat. Since the truck was not running we had no idea on what condition the driveline was in so the transmission and transfer case went for full rebuild. The engine we knew was frozen so that went to the machine shop for all machine work and check specs on it.

As we get into it more I will be posting more pictures and updates. We want to build some dollies so we can wheel around the cab and bed and also build something so we can remove the cab and bed from the dollies without damaging any of the freshly painted areas as well as not damaging the pieces themselves, see ya soon!!

Old 02-11-2020, 06:42 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Very nice truck!

Old 02-11-2020, 09:54 AM
wjwolfe82
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
After a couple days talking and thinking we decided to rebuild it mainly back to stock with a few tweaks
Excellent idea to keep it stock.

Beautiful truck!

Old 02-11-2020, 10:43 AM
fe390pc
Logistics Pro
Received 189 Likes on 173 Posts
Nice truck. There are a few places where improvements would be great. Brakes and steering are two. Maybe add electronic ignition too.

Old 02-11-2020, 04:30 PM
1browski
Fleet Mechanic
Received 221 Likes on 192 Posts
Definitely a nice looking truck. I cant wait to get started on mine.

Old 02-12-2020, 07:03 AM
cstoyer
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Looks like a good project

Old 02-13-2020, 01:49 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice looking 4X4 truck. Glad you're not going to do a bunch of chopping on it.

Old 02-14-2020, 05:08 PM
Johnny Mayday
FTE Town Crier
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome thread. It's posted on the front page, and I'm going to be following for sure. Can't wait to see the updates!

Old 02-15-2020, 11:12 AM
jzjames
Tuned
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
What is that color?

Old 02-15-2020, 12:29 PM
RichS2659
Cargo Master
Received 151 Likes on 131 Posts
I believe that the color is the elusive Federal or Signal Red as noted by ND:
https://www.fordification.com/librar...3/category/181

Old 02-15-2020, 08:51 PM
flyn-hawn
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for all the compliments! The color is Candyapple Red per the Marti Report, that is one area that we may deviate and do a two tone maybe Shenandoah Green over Wimbledon White. Also found a Dana 44 disc brake front axle with a matching Dana 60 rear, that will be going in along with AC and power steering.

Just got the truck back from the sandblaster, has a bit of rust in the passenger floor in the area you would rest your feet, other than that one area we are rust free!

Got the frame back from powder coat last week and wanted to assemble the suspension but we were afraid of the factory bolts and nuts tearing into the powder coat as they did not have washers from the factory. So we got some washers and are having them clear cadmium plated to match all of the other hardware going on the truck. No one seems to sell clear cad plated stuff, it is holding us up a bit not to mention we had just received a big batch of hardware so we have a bit of a wait.

Old 02-17-2020, 02:14 PM
Johnny Mayday
FTE Town Crier
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! This is really coming along. Love seeing these updates!

Old 02-17-2020, 03:59 PM
moose4x4
Cargo Master
Received 131 Likes on 110 Posts
I have a question? Have you figured out how to ground all the lights and such? I had my frame power coated and when I tested it was not conductive. I have put the build on the back burner due to life but I still am trying to come up with ways to wire it. Thought about using a individual ground to the rear and using a junction box for all the grounds on the rear and on the front another junction box. Any ideas? Always looking for better options. Nice looking truck to start with.

Old 02-17-2020, 04:23 PM
RichS2659
Cargo Master
Received 151 Likes on 131 Posts
What year is your new rear D60? If it is 77.5 or later, you will have to move the the spring pads inward as 1977.5-1979's had 37 1/2" wide rear frames, whereas highboys had 33 1/2" wide frames.

Old 02-17-2020, 06:06 PM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
Received 731 Likes on 585 Posts
Originally Posted by moose4x4
I have a question? Have you figured out how to ground all the lights and such? I had my frame power coated and when I tested it was not conductive.
Powder is just like liquid paint. It's not conductive on the surface, but the metal underneath is still metal and conducts very well.
You just have to get to it. Either drill a clean hole, tap a clean thread, or just make sure to grind the coating off at each grounding point. Or all of the above... Then paint over it once finished to keep the area underneath from rusting.
Basically just like you'd do with a bare or painted frame.

And the frame isn't the main grounding point on most trucks anyway. I still like to ground them, and things like tail lights and fuel senders can often be grounded to the frame, but it's mostly for RFI reduction and convenience. Most grounds are still run to the body.
It's a good idea to use jumpers between the body and frame, and the bed and frame, but the most benefit comes from grounding the body parts.
Making sure the battery is grounded directly to a body panel nearby, then a ground wire/strap between the engine and firewall, and even one to the core support if you suspect rust at the junctions. Even spot welds will eventually not be enough for the headlights and turn signals if you add in 50 years or rust, paint, flex and general wear and tear and deterioration.
There's nothing wrong with your idea of the junction box. It's just not necessary because you're mainly going to use the body for grounding, and the frame is still plenty conductive underneath.

Paul

Quick Reply: 1970 Highboy Rotisserie Restoration