1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

98 E350 Aftermarket RKE Installation Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 01:03 PM
Teamtazman
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 E350 Aftermarket RKE Installation Question

Just purchased a 98 E350 Extended Club Wagon V10. It has power door locks installed, they work fine. Would like to add remote keyless entry. I do not find the module behind the B pillar as others have suggested. Has anyone added an aftermarket keyless entry system, if so, which one and where did you connect the wires on the vehicle? I see online these systems are pretty cheap. I would like to open the doors with a remote instead of using a key all the time. Not interested in the alarm/siren stuff. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-06-2020, 04:13 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Most every aftermarket alarm can have the siren and alert function disabled when the door lock/unlock function is actuated. Don't limit your search for a good inexpensive device due what it has, look for how only the features you want can be enabled.

You'd be SOL trying to add a factory RKE to a vehicle not originally equipped with that system. Its unnecessarily complicated and too prone to failure of the RKE module---going the aftermarket route is the least expensive and easiest to add on.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:43 AM
Teamtazman
Trailering
Thanks JWA, I was aware of not going the OEM route. And thanks for the other options. Still looking for someone that has wired an aftermarket system without the factory RKE module installed.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:02 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Teamtazman
Thanks JWA, I was aware of not going the OEM route. And thanks for the other options. Still looking for someone that has wired an aftermarket system without the factory RKE module installed.
I've done that on two different E-Series, one with and one without the factory RKE.

Old 02-07-2020, 09:51 AM
Teamtazman
Trailering
So the question is, with the van without the RKE system, where did you tap into the wires? Drivers door area or where? I’m not finding a power door lock module on the wiring diagrams I have access to.

Old 02-07-2020, 03:39 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
So the question is, with the van without the RKE system, where did you tap into the wires? Drivers door area or where? I’m not finding a power door lock module on the wiring diagrams I have access to.
Where do you intend or want to mount the alarm's "brain"?

Old 02-07-2020, 04:41 PM
Teamtazman
Trailering
Probably where ever I can tap into the power lock wire system the easiest. Inside any of the doors??

Old 02-07-2020, 10:56 PM
jimbomitch
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
When I did my remote start I tapped into door lock wires behind the kick panel on drivers side. That's on a 2010 though, so I'm not sure if it's the same on 98.

Old 02-08-2020, 05:15 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by jimbomitch
When I did my remote start I tapped into door lock wires behind the kick panel on drivers side. That's on a 2010 though, so I'm not sure if it's the same on 98.
For the most part the '98's would be very similar to 2010's as far as wire harness locations are concerned.

Probably where ever I can tap into the power lock wire system the easiest. Inside any of the doors??
No not inside any door----need it to be secure and dry. As Jimbomitch suggests there are connectors located inside the kick panels near the front door hinges. Also in the B-Pillar just behind the driver's seat are numerous connectors which are very convenient.

I've always mounted my alarm "brain" somewhere just behind the Lt B-PIllar---there's always on fused power available in a few connectors as well as giving you the option to tap into the chassis PDL's.

I would utilize a 5-wire reversal (rest at ground) circuit to help isolate the alarm from the chassis wiring through relays--the schematic is like this:

Wire colors may vary which isn't important as making the correct connections. Whatever alarm you'll be using should have a similar schematic included with the installation instructions.

Old 02-08-2020, 09:07 AM
Teamtazman
Trailering
Thanks Jimbo and JWA.

Old 02-09-2020, 07:51 AM
jimbomitch
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You'll need a wiring diagram to identify those wires, you might be able to find out online. Make sure it for your specific year because for whatever reasons there's changes from differing years.

Old 02-09-2020, 08:49 AM
Teamtazman
Trailering
I do have the schematics from a Mitchell’s manual. My confusion is coming from the fact that there are two versions, one “with memory lock module and one without”. The colors of wires I find in the rear door match the “with memory”. However, it also shows the power door lock module behind the B pillar, I took off the side panel behind the pillar and the panel covering the seat belt retractor and I didn’t see any boxes. The schematic “without memory” wire colors are different. If I could find the box behind the pillar, that’s where I’d wire a remote system, easy peasy. I do not know what it means by “with memory”. The owners manual is no clue either. Hate to do it, but sounds like I need to pull the panel again and look better. I thought it would be readily visible, is that not true?. No garage and living on the Oregon Coast, we are in the monsoon season. 150 inches of rain a year and 60 of that is in Jan and Feb. I do appreciate all the advice.

Old 02-09-2020, 09:11 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Saying again IF you don't hare RKE there's no module or any other device you'd see--your year simply had the most basic of PDL wiring circuits especially without the factory RKE. You were directed towards the driver's side base of the B-Pillar as that's where most of the wiring found aft of the front seats is found, easily enough to tap into the PDL's in that location IF your alarm "brain" will be somewhere close by.

You need to find a schematic for your year---try the electrical and wiring sub-forum here on FTE. I looked on eBay for what's called an EVTM or book of wiring diagrams but there's nothing for your year. You MIGHT luck out with something as late as 2000 but I'd not count on it being that helpful. Ford is good about changing things electrically so even though the circuits all work the same connector pin outs and wire colors will change from year to year.

Again there's no module for your PDL's whether it has RKE or not.

Old 02-09-2020, 11:54 AM
Teamtazman
Trailering
Thank you. I’m “acquiring” the oem schematics next week. I’m having a PDL issue in the rear door and have a new switch coming in next week.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:02 AM
Mach5
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am following this with interest. I have a 99. The RKE has failed (I know this because I had it connected and with slight pressure on the PCB various things would go off). I wanted to find an aftermarket RKE to "plug" into the existing wiring harness. Looking for (a) recommendations on the aftermarket unit, and (b) wiring diagrams that will explain how the existing system functions. Also, it seems some of the aftermarket units don't have their own relays on the PCB, so you have to install relays separately. The Ford RKE does have relays (six of them). So, to keep things simple I'd like an aftermarket unit with relays built in.

So, if the OP or any of the others posting here could supplement with that information, I know I would appreciate it. I imagine that there are several of us lurking here would would like to know this information.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: 98 E350 Aftermarket RKE Installation Question