Ed heads, inadequate oil return?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 09:30 PM
gtex
Lead Driver
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

What is HR talkin' about here, regarding the Edelbrock aluminum heads and poor oil return.

http://www.hotrod.com/webonly_january/index.html

They didn't provide much detail to what they actually did, or how they did it.

Anybody know?

Old 09-19-2003, 05:57 AM
macguyver
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't seen the print article, but I've heard (on FTE) that HR didn't do any of the FE oiling mods. In that online recap, the builder said something about not restricting the oil feed to the rockers because they were stock rockers with a roller cam.
And then they wonder why the valve covers filled with oil.

Old 09-19-2003, 07:41 AM
fasttexan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But hasn't it been accepted that the Edelbrock heads already had the oil passage to the rockers restricted? That's what I've read here several times....

Old 09-19-2003, 07:50 PM
Randyb12
Posting Guru

What they said was: “The popular opinion among Ford FE builders is that the oil-return holes in the aluminum heads need to be enlarged for proper drain-back. We didn't do that
step, and sure enough, the valve covers loaded with oil on each dyno run.”

The oil return holes at each end of the head where the oil drains back into the lifter valley need to be drilled out. Keep in mind that they were doing full throttle runs on a dyno.

Old 09-20-2003, 08:39 PM
dinosaurfan
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Gtex, I'm not sure where this 'oil drainback' nonsense started. But HotRod may well be to blame. They had an engine they knew NOTHING about, built by a chevy shop, that knew less about the engine than they did. ( duggan's is a fine shop if you own a chevy, but I wouldn't bring an FE there ). I will admit that I don't have any Edel heads in front of me to look at, but if you look at the stockers, you will see a 1/2 inch diagonal hole drilled through each end. These holes let the oil run down into the intake valley. If they weren't there, or were plugged or too small, the oil would build up to about 1/2 inch deep, at which point it rolls over the intake ports and down into the valley......where the drainback holes send it anyway. So I don't see how it is even possble for the covers to 'load up with' oil. It ain't gonna happen. What DOES happen sometimes, is that the valve stem seals are overwwhelmed in that 1/2 inch deep puddle of oil and you burn some oil. Resticting oil to the top end is done for two reasons, to increase the amount of oil that stays down in the mains, and to make life easier on the valvestem seals. But that half inch puddle IS enough to make a real mess if your valvecover gaskets aren't on just right. DF

Old 09-21-2003, 08:53 AM
gtex
Lead Driver

Thanks DF ad the rest of the crew. I think I'll try running it as is for a bit. I'll probbaly keep 6 quarts in it and watch the gauges. I have some new gauges in the 67 that I may rig up since they provide more information.

Old 09-21-2003, 01:05 PM
dinosaurfan
Cargo Master

Gtex, what oilpan are you going to use for this engine ? Ford recognized the problem with oil control and alot of the dipsticks for the front sump pans are calibrated to show six quarts as full. The windage tray also helps a bunch in the front sump pans. DF

Old 09-21-2003, 01:13 PM
gtex
Lead Driver

I just have a stock pan from the 390 I was running before. I have not seen much else available. Not sure what year that engine or pan is either, since the 69 was originally a 360 truck. Again, this engine should not be a high RPM engine, so I didn't think a $300 7-9 quart Milodon pan was necessary.

Old 09-22-2003, 02:45 AM
Hawkeye58
Senior User

One other thing not mentioned that was in the article. They did do one of the bearings, the front one, they camfored out the oiling hole to match up to the bearing for better oiling.
I'm in agreement on the fact they didn't quite know what to do with the FE. I would expect a better job on knowing the ins and outs on a engine if I was "HOT ROD" magazine. Since this mag is supposed to be a reputable mag, then they should have hooked up with known Ford gurus. Then if they were worth their salt they would have known about all the mods etc.
Also they wouldn't have painted that FE engine red either. They must have been out of blue paint there at the cheby shop.

Hawkeye

Old 09-22-2003, 07:04 AM
Hawkeye58
Senior User

One other note. I'm glad that isn't my engine. I wouldn't let them put that Fram oil filter on it that's for sure. If I found it on there I'd get rid of it and put on a Ford one.

Hawkeye

Old 09-22-2003, 04:08 PM
mypa'struck
Senior User

Originally posted by Hawkeye58

Also they wouldn't have painted that FE engine red either. They must have been out of blue paint there at the cheby shop.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that red paint job bothered.
Who in their right mind would paint a Ford engine red?!!! That's how you can tell it was built by a chevy shop.

Do like the valve covers though.

Dennis

Old 09-23-2003, 02:14 PM
71FoMoCo
Senior User

Trust me, you're not the only one. And to think, in their materials list, they had the nerve to call the paint "Ford Red". Whatever! It all just wreaks of total lack of respect for the FE. Or any other Ford, for that matter.

Old 09-23-2003, 07:51 PM
Randyb12
Posting Guru

Lighten up guys Like someone once said "A internal combustion engine doesn't know what name is on the valve covers".

Old 09-26-2003, 01:29 AM
pat67shorty
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
They probably put the rocker shafts in upside down with the oil holes facing up, and that's what flooded their rocker covers.

Old 09-27-2003, 07:02 PM
dinosaurfan
Cargo Master
oilpan design

Guys, the oilpan the 2wd trucks and the cars got from the factory SUCKS. It doesn't matter if your not going to 'race' it, or if your only going to stay below X rpms, you should consider a better pan. I have taken apart many failed FEs that were not raced or run at high rpms, and had the factory oilpumps in them- including 1 of my own. IF you should happen to be low on oil by about a quart, and are accelerating hard, or just driving up a hill, the pickup tube for the pump can start sucking air. Your #8 rod bearing will be the first to go. The road race style pans from Canton look like really cheap insurance to me. Even if it is only a grocery getter engine. My 2wd truck is currently wearing a factory pan, but has the slosh baffle ('windage tray' ) in it, and the oil is filled 1 quart higher than the factory calls for. DF

Quick Reply: Ed heads, inadequate oil return?