Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outside mirrors not working - NEED WIRING HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 07:03 PM
kabcpapc
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Outside mirrors not working - NEED WIRING HELP!!

My recently acquired 2000 Excursion XLT 6.8L v10 has updated mirrors that the previous owner put on. The mirrors he got were probably China specials on eBay. The mirrors had power adjust, heat, turn and running lights (no power fold and no power telescoping). They apparently did not come with a wiring harness adapter and he couldn't get them wired up so they would work. I'm trying to fix them but I am having problems.

Fig. 1 - Driver's door mirror showing heated symbol.

Fig. 2 - Driver's door mirror showing running light.

Fig. 3 - Driver's door wiring harness showing heater wires and red, blue and black coming out of it and red, blue and yellow wires going into the connector. Since my Excursion is a 2000 it has the round white connector. The heater wires are also showing. The seven wires coming out of the black tubing comes from the mirror. The connector had been cut off on the driver's mirror but was still on the passenger's mirror as you will see later.

Fig. 4 - Passenger's door wiring harness with purple, green and black wires coming out of it and green, yellow and looks like brown wires going into it. You can also see the heater wires.

Fig. 5 - Passenger's wiring harness from mirror which still has the connector.

Fig. 6 - Passenger's wiring harness connector from mirror showing pins.

Fig. 7 - Wires on connector going to power mirror switch.

I connected the red, blue and black wires from the driver's door round white connector to the red, blue and yellow wires coming from the mirrors as shown in Fig. 3. I used the following that I found in one of the many threads about installing these mirrors on Excursions and Super Dutys. But the mirror did not work. Since the power mirrors are on the same fuse as the interior dome lights and the running boards and they were working, that eliminates a blown fuse. I also used my power mirror switch from my 1997 F150 which I know works, Still no working mirrors.

'08 TOWING MIRRORS FROM 1AautoDrivers Side1A Mirror Wire.pdf

If somebody could help me decipher the wiring on the power mirror switch connector and the wiring coming from the mirrors and the door harness wiring I would appreciate it very much.

I haven't tried running power straight from the battery to check whether the mirrors actually because I didn't want to mess up the mirror motors. But if any of you have any thoughts on how to accomplish this I would appreciate it.

Also would the following wiring adapters help me out?

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...y-1c3z14a411ba

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...y-1c3z14a411aa

Any other thoughts?

Old 11-07-2019, 07:47 PM
kabcpapc
More Turbo
Can't anybody help me decipher my wiring problem? With as many people that has updated their mirrors one would think somebody knows something.

Old 11-07-2019, 08:44 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
i got lost in the details but before trying to sort that out have you used a multimeter to check voltage at the end of the factory wire harness ? activate the switch and be sure the corresponding wire is getting voltage. once you know that, connecting the correct factory wire to the desired mirror wire should be a snap.

my hunch is your switch isnt working or wired like you assume

Old 11-08-2019, 10:45 PM
Markken
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Not exactly sure what you are asking, I get you need wiring help for the mirrors.

Did you check the Technical section for upgraded mirrors? I thought you said you did, just clarifying.

What features exactly are not working? Turn signal, running lights, power adjust for mirror view, defrost of mirrors?

Is just needing the pin layout for a rewire or the pigtails for model year difference? If that is he problem the set I bought came with the pigtails, and I didn't need them for mine. PM me if that is what you need.

On your model year of 2000 (like my 2001) the signal/running light option on the mirrors is not part of the standard wiring and needs to be added (you have to add wires to get that to work like I did with my 2001).

Sorry if my reply may not have been helpful, but I am not sure about what your are asking help with.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:40 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 575 Likes on 372 Posts

I'm working my way through putting a set of 2015 mirrors on my 2001F250. The 2015 mirrors have a 22 cavity connector like your mirrors. My plan is to run the required wires (heat, running lights, turn signal) to each door. I hopefully ordered the correct mating 22 pin connector shell and pins from Mouser Electronics. I plan on cutting the (or removing the pins) from the body harness, and pin the new 22 cavity to match the mirrors. UPS should deliver the parts on Monday.

Old 11-09-2019, 10:14 AM
kabcpapc
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Dan V

I'm working my way through putting a set of 2015 mirrors on my 2001F250. The 2015 mirrors have a 22 cavity connector like your mirrors. My plan is to run the required wires (heat, running lights, turn signal) to each door. I hopefully ordered the correct mating 22 pin connector shell and pins from Mouser Electronics. I plan on cutting the (or removing the pins) from the body harness, and pin the new 22 cavity to match the mirrors. UPS should deliver the parts on Monday.
This may be just what I need to decipher my wiring. I'll check it out later this afternoon during halftime of the college football games (Penn State-Minnesota, LSU-Alabama).

I appreciate you helping me out. Thanks.