Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Capless Filler Cleaning - Are you doing it? You should be!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 08:50 AM
Stiles Lariat
Freshman User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Capless Filler Cleaning - Are you doing it? You should be!

I clean my Fuel Filler Door Seal and Filler Neck of my Capless Filler Neck equipped car or light truck. The Ford Motor Company has been using a Capless Filler Neck for a few years now. If you have vehicle with the Capless Filler Neck you need to periodically clean the Door Seal and the Filler Neck to both prevent dirt from entering the Fuel Tank and to ensure both sealing surfaces are clean. Cleaning the sealing surfaces will also ensure your vehicle does not have an EGR or other fault in the future. This fault may show as an intermittent check engine light or an OBDII fault of "Check Fuel Inlet". This cleaning is easy to do, but is more involved than wiping down the outside of the Filler Neck. I perform my cleaning on a 2013 Ford Mustang GT, but this also works on many, many cars and light trucks, including the F-150.

See my video - - Clean Fuel Filler Door Seal and Neck - All Capless Filler Neck Equipped Cars and Trucks

Old 10-18-2019, 11:07 AM
4thesporty
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's great, how do i prevent my 2 year old from trying to cram his hot wheels into my filler?

Only half kidding.....

Old 10-18-2019, 02:37 PM
gDMJoe
Laughing Gas
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Arrow

4thesporty - That's great, how do i prevent my 2 year old from trying to cram his hot wheels into my filler?
<serious>
If s/he had the fear of the lord instilled into 'em and/or weren't free-range, won't/shouldn't be an issue. Otherwise .....

*In case the image is a no-show ... <PIC>
Part # 8U5Z-9C268-B
</serious>

Old 10-18-2019, 03:20 PM
Stiles Lariat
Freshman User
4theSporty, does the Hot Wheels (TM) fit in there and hit the two little detentes to open the door? If it does you found a new tool and I don't need to dig the funnel out of the trunk. Anyway . . . a two year old shouldn't be refueling your F-150; most states have a minimum age limit! Well it beats standing out in the cold during the winter, if he (your 2 year-old) is doing it for you.

I hope you found the video useful and it saves you frustration and money in the future! - Stiles

Old 10-18-2019, 07:34 PM
Siberexpress
More Turbo
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 4thesporty
That's great, how do i prevent my 2 year old from trying to cram his hot wheels into my filler?

Only half kidding.....
Fuel Plug but you should still the fear of the Lord in them also

Old 10-21-2019, 11:49 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Great idea... Thanks for sharing

Old 10-22-2019, 12:33 PM
Stiles Lariat
Freshman User
Mr. B-Ranch, I appreciate the comment! It's the simple things that I often find most useful. - Stiles

My Channel - - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC29..._LjvQSHAJTTCww?sub_confirmation=1

Old 10-22-2019, 05:23 PM
CathedralCub
Lead Driver
Received 749 Likes on 683 Posts
Originally Posted by gDMJoe
<serious>
If s/he had the fear of the lord instilled into 'em and/or weren't free-range, won't/shouldn't be an issue. Otherwise .....

*In case the image is a no-show ... <PIC>
Part # 8U5Z-9C268-B
</serious>
Nice!

I just bought my first capless vehicle and was wondering how I could lock it if I wanted to. This is perfect!

Old 10-22-2019, 05:25 PM
CathedralCub
Lead Driver
Received 749 Likes on 683 Posts
Originally Posted by Stiles Lariat
I clean my Fuel Filler Door Seal and Filler Neck of my Capless Filler Neck equipped car or light truck. The Ford Motor Company has been using a Capless Filler Neck for a few years now. If you have vehicle with the Capless Filler Neck you need to periodically clean the Door Seal and the Filler Neck to both prevent dirt from entering the Fuel Tank and to ensure both sealing surfaces are clean. Cleaning the sealing surfaces will also ensure your vehicle does not have an EGR or other fault in the future. This fault may show as an intermittent check engine light or an OBDII fault of "Check Fuel Inlet". This cleaning is easy to do, but is more involved than wiping down the outside of the Filler Neck. I perform my cleaning on a 2013 Ford Mustang GT, but this also works on many, many cars and light trucks, including the F-150.

See my video - - Clean Fuel Filler Door Seal and Neck - All Capless Filler Neck Equipped Cars and Trucks

https://youtu.be/HOJEifRK09w
Good to know. Thanks!

Old 10-23-2019, 05:39 PM
Stiles Lariat
Freshman User
Thanks for the comment! Yep, I hope you never have to use it to correct a fault and you use it. - Stiles

Old 10-24-2019, 05:05 PM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
Good video and a big thanks for not having music in it.

Old 10-25-2019, 04:56 PM
Stiles Lariat
Freshman User
I appreciate the comment. - Stiles

Old 10-30-2019, 09:39 AM
Stiles Lariat
Freshman User
Just a quick note about the video - -

You have to open the Flapper Valve (the little automatic door) and clean the mating surface. This video shows you how.
Cleaning the outside is good, but the point of this video is to clean that inside valve that make a vacuum seal to prevent OBDII fault codes! I hope this is helpful - Stiles

Old 10-31-2019, 12:08 PM
Evets
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stiles Lariat
Just a quick note about the video - -

You have to open the Flapper Valve (the little automatic door) and clean the mating surface. This video shows you how.
Cleaning the outside is good, but the point of this video is to clean that inside valve that make a vacuum seal to prevent OBDII fault codes! I hope this is helpful - Stiles
All great info. Thanks. BUT...what is the next step when the cleaning doesn't solve the problem. I'm still getting the dash light and have about worn the spout/flapper out will all the cleaning and funnel plunging.

Old 10-31-2019, 01:15 PM
Stiles Lariat
Freshman User
Evets, You didn't say what F-150 you have. You have to get a scan tool and determine why you are getting the check engine light. Get the OBDII Fault Codes. If you are getting a "check fuel inlet" or P0457 Evaporative Emission System Leak, P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak or other related code. These are the codes my cleaning video should prevent. If you are getting these codes and have cleaned your inlet, before you replace the whole filler neck, do this: 1) reclean the inlet following my video AND clear the fault codes, 2) temporary seal the inlet (on the Mustang inlet I show in the video I'd use plastic wrap and a rubber band). Did this fix the problem? Yes, it is the filler neck, no goto step 3, 3) Some Ford trucks have a vent on the top of the fuel tank, look for this and ensure the line is sealed, and 4) look under the hood at the Evaporative Emission System. It's hard to help you with the limited information you gave. I hope this helps! - Stiles,

Quick Reply: Capless Filler Cleaning - Are you doing it? You should be!