For you Anderson Hitch haters

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 04:32 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For you Anderson Hitch haters

Here's your chance to say "I told you so" - as you can see the top ball/post tipped forward and now can't just freely be pulled out.
For pic orientation the truck cab is on the left, the tailgate to the right.

The dealer (and /or Anderson) suspect when originally installed the pyramid wasn't properly seated and the tech just tightened it in place, allowing some play between the pyramid/truck connection. I occasionally checked the bolts for snugness but I never loosened it all and then re-torqued them to specs.

Something I didn't remember until much after is I had earlier that day make a panic stop; several hours later I felt a huge jolt (doing maybe 40 MPG). We stopped, got out - and found nothing so we eventually continued on home. Just as I was getting ready to lift the weight off the truck I noticed this. Are these two events related? I don't know but suspect maybe - but why the delay?

Regardless, I went to my dealer (installer) and they contacted Anderson. Anderson is sending a new hitch.
Good dealer, good Anderson. I still have full confidence in the AUH.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:51 PM
Tom in PGH
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I’d like to see photos of the lower section of the hitch, to see what shift caused this tilt. It would appear, from the limited view, that it was probably caused by an extreme push from the rear, perhaps the panic stop. Had you checked the trailer brakes for proper adjustment lately?

I also had a panic stop recently, but everything basically went into anti-lock and brought things to a stop, safely, but left a lot of rubber on the road. No problem with my Andersen hitch that I am aware of.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:57 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tom in PGH
I’d like to see photos of the lower section of the hitch, to see what shift caused this tilt. It would appear, from the limited view, that it was probably caused by an extreme push from the rear, perhaps the panic stop. Had you checked the trailer brakes for proper adjustment lately?

I also had a panic stop recently, but everything basically went into anti-lock and brought things to a stop, safely, but left a lot of rubber on the road. No problem with my Andersen hitch that I am aware of.
Dealer now has the hitch so no more pics available. I will provide this similar picture, taken from the pax side of the truck.
Trailer brakes are tested to the point of they work when I activate the manual switch, every time I first pull out; beyond that I haven't a clue.

When the dealer first checked it they were able to circle the pyramid on the ball - so it obviously wasn't resting completely on the bed (close but no cigar). The scary part is it'd been that way for 14 months and 4000 miles.

Tailgate on the left, cab on the right.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:53 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm not a AUH hater. But that does look complex. I bet it has some virtues that are not immediately apparent.

Check out this system. I don't know what to think. If I could use it to tow my gooseneck behind a tandem dump, it might be nice.
Safety Towing Systems, Inc. ? Now Manufacturing the Automated Safety Hitch System.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:09 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RenoHuskerDu
I'm not a AUH hater. But that does look complex. I bet it has some virtues that are not immediately apparent.

Check out this system. I don't know what to think. If I could use it to tow my gooseneck behind a tandem dump, it might be nice.
Safety Towing Systems, Inc. ? Now Manufacturing the Automated Safety Hitch System.
The AUH has many haters - principally because they believe a 200# plus hunk of iron is better/ stronger than this 40# piece.
My response is the future (boats, planes, even rocketships) are basically now constructed using lightweight composites, this aluminum hitch is an early middle step towards that.
It's actually less complex than a standard hitch that articulates front/rear, side to side and utilizes one or two locking jaws to hold the pin inward - yet being loose enough to allow it to turn with the truck.

While this is my admitted bias I greatly prefer it over my previous "standard fifth" hitches. It offers a greater angle of hitch, unhitch, and I find it quieter. And when comparing it to those airbag equipped hitches (and/or pin boxes) its much less complex. Those items don't do much towards preventing the axles from bouncing - for that they need to slow down. Always good advise.

I've never seen one of those dollys (outside of some commercial rigs) but it would seem to provide an answer in certain applications.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:19 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Just one more piece of information that can be used when making a decision on the style of hitch to use or not use.

Denny

Old 09-25-2019, 11:55 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 896 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by rvpuller
Just one more piece of information that can be used when making a decision on the style of hitch to use or not use.

Denny
Agreed. I dont understand why there is always so much "arguing" so-to-speak when it comes to Anderson hitches. Do we hear folks arguing about Curt vs. Reese? Schwinn vs Huffy Bicycles? If there was, would anyone care? There seems to be a certain sensitivity amongst Anderson owners that if someone doesn't "see the light" that they must be wrong? Who cares if anyone else agrees with your personal position on a particular hitch? Just the title of this thread is evidence of that.

Personally to the OP, I'm glad for you there wasn't a much worse outcome. Glad the company stood by their equipment. Am I a hater, just because that particular hitch doesn't appeal to me? Likewise, I'm not here saying "AH-HA, SEE" either.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:21 PM
2001F350dualwheel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 212 Likes on 165 Posts
My buddy runs one on a Dodge 3500 towing a 38 foot 5er. He loves it. His wife can grab the hitch and secure it to the truck. If I had a 5er I would use one. I don’t see a issue with it

Old 09-25-2019, 08:26 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru

I don't push my AUH on others but I will call the haters out when they make claims that aren't accurate.
All mechanical things are subject to wear, breakage, misuse, etc. A single bolt (loose or busted) can be of serious consequence; that includes those 200# iron hitches (with lots of moving parts).

My bringing this failure to light hopefully shows I'm being impartial about it - use the info as you see fit. I feel its advantages outweigh this slight mishap - and I applaud the company for standing behind their product.

What I learned from this is I desire an additional safety - so I have ordered the Andersen Hitch Ultimate Connection Safety Chains with Plate; Part# 3249. $135 on eBay (out of stock on Amazon).

Old 09-25-2019, 11:13 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,849 Posts
10's of thousands of miles on my steel, rail mounted AUH. I am not a fan of the gooseneck version, but that is just my personal preference.

There are always naysayers when technology or mechanical advancements are made. I know I do it at times, but the AUH will be my hitch of choice for many years. It is too easy to use and move to ignore it.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:40 PM
67_4_ME
Laughing Gas
Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts
You'll need long Allen sockets to tighten up the coupler. I bought these on Amazon.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:27 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
As I've not been able to find a (single, not set) long 1/4" hex head that'll attached to my 1/2" torque wrench I've just manually checked mine with a standard allen wrench.
As I recall ALL the other bolts are 15/16".

Today I received my Anderson safety chain kit, those parts are stout! I guess (for the job they're expected to perform) they need to be.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:59 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,849 Posts
I took a 1/4" Allen wrench that was about 4" long. I cut the short side off and now it fits into my 1/2" impact gun with a keyless drill chuck adapter.

Three settings on the impact wrench in the event I need to remove the allen bolts.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:18 AM
sc7903
Cross-Country
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Army RET
As I've not been able to find a (single, not set) long 1/4" hex head that'll attached to my 1/2" torque wrench I've just manually checked mine with a standard allen wrench.
As I recall ALL the other bolts are 15/16".

Today I received my Anderson safety chain kit, those parts are stout! I guess (for the job they're expected to perform) they need to be.

Single hex: https://www.protorquetools.com/1-4-w...-bit-socket-1/

Old 09-29-2019, 01:33 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by sc7903
Thank you for the effort however I guess I should have clarified it - I haven't found one that was within a price ($4-$5) I was willing to pay.
Until such time my manual hex key works just fine (once or twice a year).

Quick Reply: For you Anderson Hitch haters