6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Important! Rear oil seal investigation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 12:04 PM
Paluce
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Important! Rear oil seal investigation?

Hello everyone,

My name is Daniele DeFranceschi and I work for Federal Mogul (The comany who manufactures the rear crankshaft seal). I'm trying to get a better idea of how the rear crankshfat seals are failing in the field. Ford has told us that they are failing under 1000miles and only on Auto transmissions. You guys are always the best source of information, So I thought I'd skip the middle man and get some info from you.

I've searched extensivly, (I'm a regular on other Ford, mazda and Honda message boards) and it looks like after a long break in, if the seal is not changed, it will stop leaking. Is this true? We are not sure what the problem currently is because it's only happening on Auto trans???, so it might not be the seal itself. But there are many issues. So hold tight,,, We are working on a fix to this issue!

What I'm asking from you guys, is if you can tell me the following,

Model Year:
Trans type:
Miles when leakage was noticed:
Miles when leakage stoped (If it stopped):

Thanks,

Last edited by Paluce; 10-07-2003 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:52 PM
jfralph
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 f-250 SC 4x4 auto.

Mileage approx 5000.

I first noticed leak at 5000 miles, although it could have been leaking for some time. It is running on its second oil change. Oil was changed at 2k for fuel in oil.

The truck is in the shop now to address the issue. When and if it stops leaking, who knows?

Old 10-07-2003, 06:49 PM
alfonse
New User
oil stain

2003, mid April build date
Torqueshift auto
Stain about 3500 miles
I haven't looked in awhile to see if it stopped, seems to only show up under hard use and doesn't drip on the driveway, so it is more of an annoyance than a problem. A drip had been hanging on the bellhousing when I've noticed it. I don't know that it is caused by the seal. Currently at 8000 miles.

Alfonse

Old 10-07-2003, 07:03 PM
SUPERTuFF1
New User
I'm in the same boat as alfonse as far as symptoms go.

2003 F350 6.0L Dsl with Torqueshift
Noticed at about 3200 miles
Taken to dealership, inspected and dye introduced to oil
Looked under today at 3600 miles and there it is, slightly worse

Old 10-07-2003, 10:45 PM
Go Joe Go
New User
Unhappy

I have a 2004 F350 (2003 engine, built late August '03) with automatic tranmission. First noticed a drip on the bell housing at 1352 miles. Took a few photographs and then wiped it up. Came back at 2170 miles, took more photos and wiped it clean. I am betting it will be back around 3000 miles when I will take the truck back to the dealer for repair. I hope you get this worked out soon!

Old 10-08-2003, 03:52 AM
King Ranch
Laughing Gas

2003 F350
Had stain at 1200 and was gone before first oil change at 5000
Automatic

Old 10-08-2003, 06:47 AM
Smokin' Dave
New User
I have an 04' F-350 automatic with a build date of 13 aug 03.

Just looked under the truck last night and found the stain with one drop hanging off the bell housing. I currently have 1200 mi on the truck and I am going to the dealer today to report it. I do not plan on having them do anything at this time but, I will keep an eye on it to see if it seals itself up. I don't want the dealer breaking down the factory build if all they are going to do is install the same seal.

Thanks for posting here and please keep everyone here on the forum updated on this seal problem. Can you possibly post a picture of this seal and how it fits in the engine?

You mention in your post that there are many issues. Has anyone given any thought to the alignment of the spline shaft on the tranny to the motor?

Come on you guys out there I know alot of you have years of experience to share with motor work lets all work together on this issue.

Old 10-08-2003, 08:01 AM
Paluce
New User
Originally posted by Smokin' Dave
I have an 04' F-350 automatic with a build date of 13 aug 03.

Just looked under the truck last night and found the stain with one drop hanging off the bell housing. I currently have 1200 mi on the truck and I am going to the dealer today to report it. I do not plan on having them do anything at this time but, I will keep an eye on it to see if it seals itself up. I don't want the dealer breaking down the factory build if all they are going to do is install the same seal.

Thanks for posting here and please keep everyone here on the forum updated on this seal problem. Can you possibly post a picture of this seal and how it fits in the engine?

You mention in your post that there are many issues. Has anyone given any thought to the alignment of the spline shaft on the tranny to the motor?

Come on you guys out there I know alot of you have years of experience to share with motor work lets all work together on this issue.
Yes, we are seriously looking at shaft runout's and Shaft to bore misalignments. This has come up because no reported failures have occured on manuals which suggests an issue with the cover.

I don't suggest replacing the seal because just as you said, even if the issue is the seal, you would be replacing it with the same part.

I'll try and get pictures posted for you guys.

Thanks, and keep the info comming!

Psdwanabe, I'll look into your link. Thanks.

Old 10-08-2003, 08:06 AM
bedwards
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
How about front main seal out at 4700 miles? Supposed to get the truck back today. 4100 miles without a problem then it just let loose.

BE

Old 10-08-2003, 08:53 AM
Paluce
New User
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...89449281pzuZLx

I found this pic for you guys. It's a cut awys of the cover on the engine also showing the seal. I didn't take the pic, so that's to who ever did

Old 10-08-2003, 09:25 AM
Moho
New User
Re: Important! Rear oil seal investigation?

Originally posted by Paluce
Hello everyone,

My name is Daniele DeFranceschi and I work for Federal Mogul (The comany who manufactures the rear crankshaft seal).

Thank you for this. We're glad to see someone is interested.

Model Year: 03
Trans type: Auto
Miles when leakage was noticed: New
Miles when leakage stoped (If it stopped): Hasn't yet. 2 trips for a fix. Turned over 22k this morning.

I'll add that mine isn't a stain. The bottom of a truck gets dirty. This is a leak. Enough to have to put down absorbant to keep from ruining the asphalt at home.

Monroe

Last edited by Moho; 10-08-2003 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:34 AM
jfralph
Elder User
I don't know how legit you are, or for that matter Ford. Got my truck back yesterday, and I quote "A grease is used in assembly, when it gets hot, it leaks out and stains the bell housing. Once all the grease is gone, it will quit." Sorry, I have to call BS on this. First off, they will not use this much grease for any assembly, second, It had the opportunity to get way hotter during the summer when I was towing heavy loads than lately, third, to many people reporting same problem, but not all, None have been told it is grease leaking out that I am aware of.

Sorry, just feeling a little frustrated right now.

Old 10-08-2003, 10:41 AM
fmtrvt
Elder User
Glad to help with the picture.

Last edited by fmtrvt; 10-08-2003 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:19 AM
Smokin' Dave
New User
Daniele,
I work in the nuclear power industry and am a mechanical inspector. We have found in some of our pumps / motors where we use dynamic seals that some types of additives in the oil will break down the seal material and cause failure. We have tried other oils after seal replacement and the failures stop in some cases. Has Federal Mogul recently changed the material spec for these seals? Have you performed temp / shrinkage tests?

There is never an easy answer to complex problems, but sometimes the obvious answer is so close you can't see it. Thanks for letting me put in my two cents.

Old 10-08-2003, 12:57 PM
Smokin' Dave
New User
jfralph,
Just read you took your truck to the dealer for the rear seal leak. Did the dealer replace the seal? Did they pull the tranny to just look at it? Let us know what they found and the results.

Thanks
Smokin'

Quick Reply: Important! Rear oil seal investigation?