Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Got me a Ford :}

Old 10-05-2003, 03:12 PM
Skitzo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got me a Ford :}

Hello all!

New to the forum. Been a Jeep owner for years (still own one) and got my first Ford yesterday. 1991 Explorer XLT - cost me a total of $35 :} it doesn't start with the key, but i can jumper it at the solenoid - it started after 2 cranks after it had been sitting for 2 years!

ok, so, here are the problems: 1. overheats way fast. 2. smokes really bad and exhaust smells like gas. 3. the dash lights blink on and off (almost in time to the door gong). 4. key doesn't work to start it (bad ignition switch i guess, i'll just install a pushbutton to start it) 5. grinding noise from rearend when i move it (may just be brakes, dunno yet).

so, considering it sat for 2 years, what should i do first? and how the heck do you change the spark plugs on the passenger side of the engine??

anyway, great forum, lots of good info! nice ta meet ya'all :}

Old 10-05-2003, 10:42 PM
marragtop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd start with the overheating and rear end noise first. Overheating could be as simple as the thermostat being stuck closed. Noise from rear could be a stuck shoe or parking brake problem. Also, it's pretty easy to get to the passenger side plugs thru the wheelwell. Let us know how you're making out on it.

Old 10-06-2003, 04:37 AM
Skitzo
New User
yeah, overheating prob's top on the list. are there any fsm's or manuals online for download anywhere?

also, could you detail pulling the plugs through the wheelwell a bit?

thanks!

Old 10-06-2003, 05:15 AM
marragtop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a link to a pretty good on-line manual...

Old 10-06-2003, 07:15 AM
Skitzo
New User
thanks! not quite an fsm, but a good place for me to start just to get familiar with the X

Old 10-06-2003, 08:30 AM
devil421
Senior User
Yeah overheating is issue #1. After sitting for two years, the coolant can't be in very good shape. Replace the thermostat (dont clean it, just replace) and do a complete drain and fill. It might help to flush out the cooling system several times with water and coolant system cleaning agent (find at most auto parts places). If it still overheats, you may have to remove the radiator and flush it out real good.
Issue #2 - Gas smell. Gasoline that has sat for 2 years breaks down into a napalm like compound. Its will gum up the inside of the tank, the pump, the filter and even the engine. Drain the tank, replace the fuel filter then run a bottle or two of high end fuel system cleaner to clean it all out. You may still end up needing a specific fuel injector cleaning.
Issue #3 - REPLACE THE OIL AND FILTER BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE! 2 year old oil isnt going to be very effective and start up wear will be very bad.
Issue #4 - Blinking lights. Replace the battery, clean the terminals, check all fuses. Make sure there is no debris inside the engine compartment, might even help to clean the engine itself with a good degreaser (cover all electric parts and terminals before washing).
Issue #5 - Ignition. Probably bad switch. Replace.
Issue #6 - Plugs. You can get to the plugs through the wheel well.
Hope this helps.

Old 10-07-2003, 01:20 AM
Skitzo
New User
thanks for the tips!

strange thing is that the ignition switch started working and the blinking dash lights quit blinking...weird....ghost in the machine i guess...

Search this Thread