Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Help With An Essay

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 09:32 PM
DRP
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help With An Essay

Howdy all
I am writing a persuasive essay in my English class, and the topic is up to us. And with me being a die-hard Ford guy, I had to choose Ford vs. Ch*vy vs. D*dge and why Ford is the best as my topic. I was just wondering if anyone had any good points I could use in my essay to make everyone else in my class a believer. Any comments would help

Drew

Old 04-27-2004, 09:44 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heh, wish I had thought of that when I took that class.

I'd suggest you go down to your local Ford dealership and ask the salesmen. They'll be able to spout off loads of reasons you can include.

Here's one I can think of:

1. Matt Kenseth 2003 championship winner - he drives a ford.

I'm sure I'll come up with more, let me think.

Old 04-27-2004, 09:47 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Ford uses a solid axle on the 4x4's, Chevy does not (Dodge does)

Ford has better ground clearance than Chevy

Ford has the best interior room

Ford is more environmentally responsible (you'll really have to do some research on this one) than Chevy-Chevy uses an 8.1L V8 as their largest gas engine, Ford eliminated the 460 for the more fuel efficient and more powerful V10, the Dodge Hemi is a gas guzzler from what I've heard

Ford (and Chevy) offer a 5-speed automatic transmission, Dodge does not

Old 04-28-2004, 03:01 AM
wcmo sae
Senior User
Originally Posted by johnsdiesel
Chevy uses an 8.1L V8 as their largest gas engine, Ford eliminated the 460 for the more fuel efficient and more powerful V10, the Dodge Hemi is a gas guzzler from what I've heard
Not only that, but Dodge also eliminated their V-10. Not enough of them sold probably.

For me, two phrases say it all: Best selling pickup for 28 (??) years. 2004 Motor Trend Truck of the Year was F-150.

Also, just an idea I had. If you really feel like doing research, find out which maker has the highest 5-star Chrash ratings per brand. That would be interesting if it was Ford.

I don't know if I speak for everyone out there, but as a loyal Ford fan, I wouldn't mind reading this paper once it's finished. So, if you happen to find some time over the summer to put it on the Internet, don't forget your friends at FTE and give us a link.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it later. Hope I helped.

Old 04-28-2004, 06:33 AM
ktmguy70
Elder User
Does anyone else?

Does this NOT get old to anyone else? There are SOOOO many pages on here of the Exact subject you want to write an essay about. RESEARCH. Thats what an essay is about RESEARCH, look it up.. I can think of 2 other times off the top of my head when someone came in here and said" Im writing a report for school about why Ford is better" ETc.... And while your at it, remember that Fair reporting provides both positve and negatives, as well as views from the other side meaning the Chevrolet and Dodge view. (although most major news sources today do not follow this).. You know I love the technical threads about Ford Rearends VS Chevys, or the DMAX vs the 6.0,
IFS vs solid, etc..., Cummins Vs Powerstroke.. But all this and WAY WAY more is here, just read.

Ron

00 Excursion V-10 4x4

Old 04-28-2004, 08:20 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ktmguy70
Does this NOT get old to anyone else?
Nope. Otherwise there would be no point to this forum. Every other thread is Cummins vs. PSD, dodge vs Chevy vs Ford. It is called Ford vs the Competition, what else is there to discuss?

Old 04-28-2004, 08:37 AM
ktmguy70
Elder User
Exactly

Nope. Otherwise there would be no point to this forum. Every other thread is Cummins vs. PSD, dodge vs Chevy vs Ford. It is called Ford vs the Competition, what else is there to discuss?
My point totally, Just about every view, thought and notion has been discussed. So why not just READ it instead of having 12 pages of the same issues, once again?

Old 04-28-2004, 09:14 AM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
Dodge does have a 5 speed auto tranny, they're auto's just have a variable second gear that chooses which is best (towing/acceleration) or cruising. There is lots that one brand can be better at, but just as Ktmguy said, research everything. Don't just look in Ford message boards, dodge boards, etc, as its basically going to be bias. Do other research that has FACTS not opinions on brands. Don't go off spouting false information in your paper.

Old 04-28-2004, 09:19 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
bigbluebronco, the 5-speed auto must be new. That's the first I've heard of it.

ktmguy70, then we might as well shut down this forum and not allow any new posts.

BTW, I just tried the "build and price" on the Dodge website and you can't get the 5-speed auto with the Cummins.

Last edited by johnsdiesel; 04-28-2004 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:56 AM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
Its not really new, they've been using it in the Grand cherokee since 99 and all trucks with the 4.7. Its not 'technically' a real 5speed, but it just has 2 second gears that the tranny will select depending on acceleration and throttle position. Whereas the "real" 5 speed auto's have another gear after 4th for lower RPM during cruising speeds. Hope that clears it up a little. I do believe they will be coming out with the Mercede's 5speed auto soon though.

Old 04-28-2004, 09:57 AM
ktmguy70
Elder User
ktmguy70, then we might as well shut down this forum and not allow any new posts.
While Shutting it down is a bit extreme, whatever!
I do Enjoy the TECHNICAL discussions and Comparisons, which is what this is all supposed to be base upon. HOWEVER. all technical discussions go out the window VERy soon and are replaced with the " My uncle has 3 chevys and the motors all blew within 10,000 miles" Or " They just Suck, I drove one 25 years ago and got a flat tire so I know for a fact that they're junk".

Old 04-28-2004, 10:17 AM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
I'd have to agree with KTMguy once again. It seems as though whenever somebody has a different view of Ford than what is seen in this forum, then the flame fest starts. And sometimes its amazing what is said in here to protect Ford trucks. Thats why I feel as though the original poster should go to different places than message boards for all of his info, as most of the stuff in here is opinions. Everyone has horror stories about a brand they hate, and everyone has their perfect vehicle from the brand they love.

Old 04-28-2004, 11:48 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
This isn't one of those threads, or at least it wasn't headed in that direction. The guy's just trying to get some persuasive facts all in one place. If you don't want to add to the discussion don't post. I personally enjoy these posts that ask only for facts and not opinion. There's no room for debate when it's left to the facts.

Old 04-28-2004, 03:40 PM
sinister73
Elder User
This isn't one of those threads, or at least it wasn't headed in that direction. The guy's just trying to get some persuasive facts all in one place. If you don't want to add to the discussion don't post. I personally enjoy these posts that ask only for facts and not opinion. There's no room for debate when it's left to the facts.

But that's the main problem. There will always be opinions, especially from those who are incapable of accepting the facts. Also facts can be skewed and twisted to support an opinion. Facts may emerge which do not conform to a predisposed opinion, often these facts are not acknowledged.
Preconceived opinions are usually outdated, and may not apply to new available products, but nonetheless, they are spouted as though they still apply. This is called bias.

Here's an example; Hydroformed frames.

Hydroformed frames offer different characteristics - some advantageous, from standard C channel frames. Ford guy and Dodge guy get into it over
these frames. Both use facts to support their preconceived opinions.
Dodge guy states the advantage in torsional stiffness regarding
hydroformed frames. Ford guy counters with the fact that his frame does
not require special welding or bolting techniques, and that boxed frames usually use thinner steels to begin with. Dodge guy states that it dosent matter because his frame is manufactured more precisely with less variation in material thicknesses. He then goes on to say his frame is lighter -reducing weight. Ford guy comes back with a statement that the weight savings is negligable, the real savings being made in DC's bank account. So far both
are right. At this point GM guy steps in and states his frame is best because
it uses hydroformed boxed front members for torsional stiffness and controlled
impact resistance, while utilising roll formed steel in a center section for
better resistance to RBM, and a C stamped tail section for strength and simplicity - especially when mounting aftermarket hitches which require drilling and welding. He's correct too. Needless to say, if all three used fully boxed, hydroformed frames - everyone would at least agree on one thing.
This shows that biased people are not willing to accept facts which may run contrary to their preconcieved notions of what brand is best.
(I'm with GM guy on the frames BTW... )

Old 04-28-2004, 06:03 PM
DRP
Senior User
Thanks everyone for the help. I did some thinking today, and realized that everyone else in my class doesnt have a clue as to what a solid-front-axle is, or pretty much anything else about trucks. So I guess I'll narrow it down a bit (ktmguy - happy?). Im looking for 3 topics about Ford beating all other full-sized domestic trucks in the market, and why. So far one of the points that I have is that statistically Ford has an average of less repair and problems with their automobiles than Chevy or Dodge. Any other good points that non-automobile-knowledge-inclined people might understand what I am talking about?

Drew

Quick Reply: Help With An Essay