Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Questions on building an F-350 on the Ford website

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 07-12-2019, 06:46 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Posting Guru
Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.

Just messing around and "building" a new dually F-350 on the Ford website. Question on tires listed. They only list one tire size LT245-75's on 17" rim, but they list 2 optional tires, a "BSW A/T", and an "OWL A/T". Can someone tell me WHICH tires each one of those are? Just wondering if I should "build" it with the standard tire, and plan on putting my own local purchase set on after delivery, or if the optional tires are worth having in heavy snow/ice winter conditions. So, would like to know which tires these optional tires actually are (as in brand and specific tire model).

Also, looking at optional gear ratios, they list the 4.30 gear as a "limited slip". I thought they were E-lockers, and not actually a true "limited slip" gear set (rear end only, obviously)?

Thanks.

And anyone know when the 20's will hit the Ford "build it" site?

Old 07-12-2019, 07:01 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Posting Guru
Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.
Also, one of the packages is for an 11,400 GVWR package, that says 13,000 GVWR for a F-350 dually. If I don't select this "package", what is the GVWR rating going to be (for the dually)? It doesn't list GVWR anywhere else in the truck description.

Thanks.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:16 AM
UGA33
Post Fiend
UGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim View Post
Just messing around and "building" a new dually F-350 on the Ford website. Question on tires listed. They only list one tire size LT245-75's on 17" rim, but they list 2 optional tires, a "BSW A/T", and an "OWL A/T". Can someone tell me WHICH tires each one of those are? Just wondering if I should "build" it with the standard tire, and plan on putting my own local purchase set on after delivery, or if the optional tires are worth having in heavy snow/ice winter conditions. So, would like to know which tires these optional tires actually are (as in brand and specific tire model).

Also, looking at optional gear ratios, they list the 4.30 gear as a "limited slip". I thought they were E-lockers, and not actually a true "limited slip" gear set (rear end only, obviously)?

Thanks.

And anyone know when the 20's will hit the Ford "build it" site?
Also, one of the packages is for an 11,400 GVWR package, that says 13,000 GVWR for a F-350 dually. If I don't select this "package", what is the GVWR rating going to be (for the dually)? It doesn't list GVWR anywhere else in the truck description.

Thanks.
Not sure on the tire thing goes as far as if it affects brand. The e-locker option isn’t available for the DRW trucks. As for the standard/default GVW, it would be 14k LBS.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:23 AM
Bruin78
New User
Bruin78 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Pretty sure BSW stands for black side wall and OSW stands for outside white letters. Most likely same tire just asking you to choose how you want them to look.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:17 AM
67L48
Senior User
67L48 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Duallys get the LSD. SRW get the e locker. Tire brands fluctuate on the SRWs between a few different tires -- Goodyear, Michelin, and maybe one other. DRW may be the same, so I don't know that you'll have a 100% confirmation on what brand of tires will ship. I'm assuming you otherwise know the difference between BSW and OWL tires. The tires themselves are probably no different, since they're both listed as A/T at the same size. It will only be cosmetic and you'll have to decide if you like the look of an OWL. I don't and went BSW. RWL, like BFGs, are acceptable, but I don't like OWL. Some people do, though.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:32 AM
SDcrewzer
Posting Guru
SDcrewzer has a good reputation on FTE.SDcrewzer has a good reputation on FTE.
My understanding of the Order Guide is that black sidewall all-season (BSW A/S) tires are standard. Black sidewall all-terrain (BSW A/T) and white outline sidewall all-terrain (OWL A/T) are options.

Note that if you order the OWL A/T rires, you only get four. The two inner rear tires and the (optional?) spare are BSW A/T.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Old 07-12-2019, 08:49 AM
Joe T
Posting Guru
Joe T is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Joe T is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The A/S is probably a Michelin MS2.

The A/T is probably a Michelin AT2.

Probably isn’t a better aftermarket option unless you need snow or mud tires exclusively. The AT2 will need more attention put into regular rotations.

I wouldn’t pay for white letter sidewalls, personally.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:28 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Posting Guru
Thanks for the replies so far. I don't really care if the sidewalls have white letters or not. If it's the same tire either way, I'd just go black sidewall letters. If the "optional" tires are garbage in the winter, I may as well just get the standard tire and order a set when it gets delivered. Didn't know it was only 4 optional tires, with the inner 2 duals being standard tires anyway. That seems like a lousy "option".

Briefly looked at the F-450, but the website doesn't let you build one with a gas engine. So, that's a deal killer for me.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:48 AM
shawnee1
New User
shawnee1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the replies so far. I don't really care if the sidewalls have white letters or not. If it's the same tire either way, I'd just go black sidewall letters. If the "optional" tires are garbage in the winter, I may as well just get the standard tire and order a set when it gets delivered. Didn't know it was only 4 optional tires, with the inner 2 duals being standard tires anyway. That seems like a lousy "option".

Briefly looked at the F-450, but the website doesn't let you build one with a gas engine. So, that's a deal killer for me.
Just to clarify the earlier poster's remark, the 2 inner tires will be the same optional tire (if you choose it) as the outer tire. The only difference will be if you also choose OWL, the inner tires will not be OWL, just black wall. Makes sense as you would not be able to see the OWL on the inner tires.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:26 PM
2019er
Senior User
2019er is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you don't want the OEM tires and are replacing them with aftermarket, please send me your take offs. That's a lot of money just because you don't like OEM tires. I'll pay for shipping.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:31 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Posting Guru
It really has nothing to do with "liking" them. We get winter here. I mean real winter. Not the cutesy pretend winters that some get, with maybe a dusting of snow now and again. If the tires won't handle real snow and ice, then they are useless, and you won't be driving anywhere for 6 months out of the year. The OEM "contricrap" tires that came on my '12 were utterly useless tires. They were round, and held air, but were really only useful for tire fires. Since I'm not a professional protester, I don't need to start tire fires. I need a set of tires that I can drive on snow and ice with. The only reason I drove it home with the contricraps on it, was because they had to order the size tires I wanted.

Anyway,

Another poster indicated they may be Michelin AT2's. If anyone that recently bought one with the optional A/T's on it could chime in, I'd be interested in what came on their truck.

Thanks.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:02 PM
67L48
Senior User
67L48 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I prefer cutesy pretend winters ... mainly because I enjoy saying, "Cutesy."

Old 07-12-2019, 08:59 PM
Joe T
Posting Guru
Joe T is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Joe T is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Look up the AT2 snow reviews. I’ve never seen snow outside ski trips.

If you need a second set of winter tires the MS2 ride like a champ, never had better, keep those for summer.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:36 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Posting Guru
Lol.

Used to love watching The Simpsons when that show started.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.