Notices

2015/16 F250/350 to 2019 dually

Old 07-11-2019, 05:42 PM
CaptnJohn
Junior User
CaptnJohn is starting off with a positive reputation.
2015/16 F250/350 to 2019 dually

The new F350 dually will be in soon. Wondering about 2 things ~~ 1st is there a difference in the bed or hitch height requiring a hitch head adjustment? Going from 20" tires to 17" tires I'm thinking the bed may be lower. 2nd ~~ will a tailgate from a 2015/16 fit on the 2019? I have the aluminum 5er tailgate by Husky and cannot find them online at all.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:13 PM
Alleydog
Freshman User
Alleydog is starting off with a positive reputation.
I went from a 15 F250 to the 18 F350 dually and can tell you there is a difference in bed height. I had higher profile 18in wheels on the F250 that were the same overall height as the stock 20s.
However I have the same hitch height on my AUH on both.
I know the sides of bed on the 18 dually are taller than the 15. The tailgates are not interchangeable.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:43 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Army RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to behold
Last year I traded in my 2014 F250 for a 2018 F350 dually. After struggling with things I finally purchased a small step ladder to work over its' higher bed walls.

I image there was a difference in setup but I left it up to the service people to take care of things. They did and I'm happy.

NO, THESE TAILGATES ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE. I WOUND UP LEAVING MY V SHAPED GATE ON MY TRADE IN, then sold the original gate (no camera, asked for $600) for $550.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:31 PM
CaptnJohn
Junior User
Nothing here I was hoping for, it is what it is. Dealer wants my Ford tailgate so I'll have a good 5er gate I cannot use ~~ and will want another. Bed height sounds OK but rail height may make a difference. Nothing is meant to be easy this time as it was the last 2 switches to new Ford trucks.
Thanks for the replies!

Old 07-12-2019, 05:14 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Take that Husky gate and advertise it on here in the classified or better yet, if they sell an updated one could you trade it in?

Old 07-12-2019, 02:30 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Army RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to behold
I would suggest advertising it locally - craigslist is a free and easy place to do that.

In my above example I lucked out. I was purchasing a new dually because I also purchased a larger fifth (which required Both a heavier hitch/ heavier truck). My plan was to strip the old hitch (for resale) then swap the original tailgate back to my trade in. Next I was planning to install the old V gate in place of my new trucks tailgate. Dealer measured things out an found the newer trucks are about 2" wider - meaning I couldn't do that.

Then the dealer told me he'd prefer my trade in as equipped: hitch and V gate. Three days later he had sold this unit.

That left me with the original tailgate (stored since new). I sold it within 30 days on craigslist - it was even the correct color for the new owner. I suspect I made more $ selling that single item than I would have on selling the other two items.

And now the frosting, my RV dealer throws in a Free AUH to Every new sale with military ties; I didn't have to purchase a hitch.

That's how I know the OP's V gate won't work on his new truck.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:18 PM
CaptnJohn
Junior User
I should be half as lucky. Both this and last tailgate removed the day I brought the new truck home. Original gates stored in the box the 5er gate arrived in. My hitch will work, but no longer will need a slider. I'm using it anyway~ it will never slide again as long as I own it. Like above we bought a new 5er and need the extra of the dually. Sadly, going to sell a truck I would love to keep.

Old 07-15-2019, 02:02 PM
ssunit1
Elder User
ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I should be half as lucky. Both this and last tailgate removed the day I brought the new truck home. Original gates stored in the box the 5er gate arrived in. My hitch will work, but no longer will need a slider. I'm using it anyway~ it will never slide again as long as I own it. Like above we bought a new 5er and need the extra of the dually. Sadly, going to sell a truck I would love to keep.
Yeah, but trust me, you're going to love that Dually.

Old 07-15-2019, 02:08 PM
spud57
Senior User
spud57 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
These guys have them for the '17-'19.

https://www.strombergcarlson.com/pro...d-4000-series/

Old 07-15-2019, 08:04 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Another alternative - have one made.

As I didn't feel the pre-made ones were sturdy enough (I wanted to be able to sit on it, place heavy coolers on it, etc) I visited my welder and explained what I wanted.
He scratched it out on paper and I approved it. He then took some measurements and said give him a week. His estimate (which he honored) was $200.

A week or so later I returned and he did a trial fitting - it required a bit of tweeking (a couple of additional days passed). He also added two (L & R) gate locks to secure it in the closed position, making it quite difficult for a thief. In the meantime I purchased an LED brake/ running strip light ($23) and delivered it - so he could drill the required mounting holes.

Lastly I took it to a shop for powder-coating ($50).

Real steel - it held up to heavy cargo sitting on it in the open position.

On my current truck I decided I'd rather retain the camera and auto locking capability.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.