Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

INJECTOR CUP REPLACEMENT: '02 F250

Old 07-11-2019, 12:26 PM
AubieTN
Freshman User
AubieTN is starting off with a positive reputation.
INJECTOR CUP REPLACEMENT: '02 F250

OK, I have had this truck since it had 18.5k on it and have taken very good care of it with maintenance and some mods. These mods can be seen in my previous profile of "Lhud", nothing fancy but other than that it is stock injectors. I have the PHP Hydra tunes recently installed but do not do any serious towing/hauling. Its life has seen the majority of miles on the straight line driving. It has 586+k miles on the original motor and injectors. I had a recent oil analysis done to check for fuel and oil in my Delo ELC coolant and they said there was no evidence of any contamination of the coolant.
Soooo. I am seriously considering a set of new injectors/o-rings from RiffRaff. My buddy has Clay's injector tool which I will be able to use.
Question: Would it be wise to bite the bullet (labor/work, cup cost is nothing) and do the cups while in there for the injectors or go by the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and just replace the injectors/o-rings?
My buddy used a Dremel tool with some brushes to clean the bore and that worked very well for him - just a little tedious checking to see if the bore was clean. I also have the Dremel tool and could easily do the same.
So, what say you guru wrenchers? The truck will not be doing any serious trips or towing as it was in the years past, more of a daily driver now with short runs.

Thanks to my FTE brothers.

Larry

Old 07-11-2019, 06:29 PM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
Personally, i'd leave them cups alone. Nothings pointing to them about being bad. Now the orings, id go ahead and do them. 540k of heatsoaked rubber, i bet your motor will come to life. Maybe look into shimming the solenoids too

Old 07-12-2019, 02:04 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
aawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud of
Another ain't broke don't fix it guy. Leave the cups alone unless they give you reason.

Is stock injectors the only option for you? I mean c'mon. Now is the time to go single shot 160s or something, make use of the capabilities of that PHP to download tunes.

Also I recall your old handle lhud, but that is long gone compadre. Fill out your current signature so we know what you're rocking.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:45 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant future
Don't mess with the cups unless there's something wrong with them.

Is there anything floating around in your degas bottle besides coolant? If not leave well enough alone IMO.

Originally Posted by aawlberninf350 View Post
Is stock injectors the only option for you? I mean c'mon. Now is the time to go single shot 160s or something, make use of the capabilities of that PHP to download tunes.
Custom tunes can add up quick, especially if you're shopping around to find one/some you like. You gotta pay to play.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:26 AM
AubieTN
Freshman User
Thanks so much guys, seems there is a consensus of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach and I'm pretty much in line with that as well.
Will keep youins posted of the results but since it will likely be just a weekly driver and will not do any serious towing/hauling, I have no need to go with injectors other that the OEMs.

Thanks again,

Larry

Old 07-12-2019, 09:41 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant future
Normally I am a proponent of an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Lord knows I've dumped (probably) too much cash into some work because I had everything apart and had access to parts that weren't failing but were 15+ years old.

Cups, on the other hand, are on the short list of "if it ain't broke". I had originally decided to do it as a preventive measure when I replaced injectors but through all of my research ended up deciding to leave well enough alone. When I got in there I had cup issues and replaced all 8, but that was not the original plan.

Good luck and definitely keep us posted. Pictures or it didn't happen.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:04 AM
AubieTN
Freshman User
Thanks Brian, sort of figuring on a similar approach. With the injectors out, what did you do and/or see to alert you to the need for cup replacement?

Thanks,

Larry

Old 07-13-2019, 07:16 PM
brian42
Post Fiend
Saw coolant in 5 cups a week after I pulled the injectors. That’s when I decided to replace all 8.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.