Notices

Wrong size 2100 on my 390. What are my options?

Old 07-11-2019, 09:34 AM
Cartel
Senior User
Cartel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Wrong size 2100 on my 390. What are my options?

My 390 has a 2100 but its 1.21 bore instead of the 1.23.
It also has 53F jets which sounds small to me.
The engine runs a bit hot being lean and it has dead spots in the throttle.
Should I just buy an =listing-final-manufacturer AUTOLINE =listing-final-partnumber as-link-if-js buyers-guide-colorC834A which is the right carb or should I try to get this working?
=listing-final-partnumber as-link-if-js buyers-guide-colorI opened it up and its clean as a new carb should be but its not the correct one.

thanks

Old 07-11-2019, 11:39 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Cartel View Post
My 390 has a 2100 but its 1.21 bore instead of the 1.23.
It also has 53F jets which sounds small to me.
The engine runs a bit hot being lean and it has dead spots in the throttle.
Are you certain that it's running lean, or, maybe the ignition advance isn't operating correctly? That will cause hot running and poor performance as well. The rule of tune-ups is always ignition first, the. carburetion. You might be right, but I'd think a 1.21" should run just fine on that.

Believe it or not, carburetors that are too big tend to run lean. Post a clear close up pic of a spark plug or two. When engine tuning it's important to use the stock heat range plug starting out. Post a clear, closeup pic of a couple spark plugs.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:12 AM
Cartel
Senior User

I pulled these out, drove it 30-40 miles when I got it

Old 07-12-2019, 09:52 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Thanks for the pics. Those look real bad, and they are fairly new looks like. Have you done a compression test? Don't worry about the carb or jetting just yet. A couple of those are so fouled they have barely been firing, if at all.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:24 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.
Yea, it's not running lean. The cfm rating between a 1.21 and a 1.23 is miniscule. Sitting on a 390, it'll virtually flow the same as a 1.23. Looks like you have at least half the valve seals shot. Or the guides under them bad.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:12 AM
69cj
Post Fiend
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
Half of those plugs are running on oil rather than gas.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:51 PM
tbm3fan
Postmaster
tbm3fan is a splendid one to beholdtbm3fan is a splendid one to beholdtbm3fan is a splendid one to beholdtbm3fan is a splendid one to beholdtbm3fan is a splendid one to beholdtbm3fan is a splendid one to beholdtbm3fan is a splendid one to beholdtbm3fan is a splendid one to behold
Three oil fouled. Three look Ok. One looks slightly hot on the Ok side and one looks slightly lean and maybe questionable. What is the timing running at? That strap mark on the lean one, which is visible looks too far down.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:30 AM
Cartel
Senior User
I got a compression tester and a vacuum gauge coming I'll post the results.
Pretty sure I'm gonna be pulling the engine out

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.