Notices

91 351w swap in a 96 f150

Old 07-11-2019, 12:24 AM
351ww
New User
351ww is starting off with a positive reputation.
91 351w swap in a 96 f150

Hello to all i have a 1996 f150 2wd with a 302 and have recently got my mitts on a 351w with trans from a 1991 f250 and im dead set on putting this new combo in the 96 beacaue the 302 is a dog and i do alot of hauling for constriction, i know nothing about fords so here i am asking the pros for guidance all imputs are welcome only thing i know is im able to use the computer from my 96

Old 07-12-2019, 05:07 PM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 351ww View Post
im dead set on putting this new combo in the 96 beacaue the 302 is a dog and i do alot of hauling for constriction,
You can put that motor in the truck without a lot of trouble.. the transmission is another story.
What axle ratio does the truck have? Find the axle code on the drivers door pillar and post it up.
Also what trans does it have?. Find the trans code on the drivers door pillar and post it up.
It's a good bet that your truck has a 4R70w while the trans behind the 5.8 is a E4OD, these two are not interchangable.
The 5.8 will drop in and bolt up to the existing trans with the correct flexplate(28oz imbalance), then you just hookup all the original engine wiring to the new motor.. you cannot use any wiring that came with the 5.8, connect the exhaust with some minor adjustments, and you're done.
But if ford installed something stupid like 3.08 gears in your truck that would explain why it's so gutless, it should have 3.73 to 4.10 gears for what you are doing. The bigger motor will help but you really should look at getting more gears under it.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:24 PM
351ww
New User
351ww is starting off with a positive reputation.
So the stock trans that was made for a 302 will work? Just change flex plate? And what kind of mild cam or any other engine mods would you recommend. The engine im wanting to put cam long tubes intake ect just dont know whay to get.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.