Notices
1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

'65 Speedometer/transmission drive gear ID

Old 07-10-2019, 08:45 PM
Convoy Driver
Junior User
Convoy Driver is starting off with a positive reputation.
'65 Speedometer/transmission drive gear ID

We have completed a frame off restoration but cannot get the speedometer cluster working.

The truck is our 1965 Ford F100 2 Wheel Drive with 240 CID Six cylinder engine and Ford light duty three speed manual with column shift and 3.70 reduction rear end.
We have confirmed that the dash mounted speedometer and odometer are working correctly (two different ones actually) and the speedometer cable has been out, inspected and confirmed is in good working order. The speedometer cable enters the the transmission on the left side of the housing.

After much on line search here on the FTE forum and others and searching transmission vendor websites and Youtube video and Ford service manuals and parts books and parts vendor inquiries, I still can not determine what the correct speedometer cable drive gear combination is at the transmission.

Where we need help is in the gear configuration of the plastic speedometer drive gear inside the transmission output housing and the mating driven gear that clips to the speedometer cable. There are lots of gears from many vendors (many for Mustang and other sedans) but I can not find enough detail in any listings as to weather the drive and driven gear are RIGHT HAND or LEFT HAND thread pitch. There are both available! The drive gear teeth on the output shaft gear we started with were found damaged and the gear was replaced at transmission overhaul. I can not confirm if it was an original gear or had been replaced by a prior owner. It was a yellow seven tooth left hand pitch and there were three Pink code 19 tooth RIGHT HAND pitch driven gears laying in the bottom of the case. How do I identify if these driven gears are TYPE 3 or TYPE 3a? Right hand or left hand? The drive gear that came with the transmission overhaul kit is a yellow seven tooth RIGHT HAND pitch gear which is now in the transmission. I am questioning weather that is correct or not? The drive gear key way only fits one way and the drive gear can not be installed backwards on the output shaft. Verified that.

If the incorrect LH or RH pitch gear is installed, the speedometer cable will be driven backward, the odometer will subtract miles and the speed will register at zero.

I have the Ford parts book charts of the gear types and the chart that Bill posted with the tire size, model year, drive gear and driven gear Ford part numbers and number of teeth. Is there some other chart somewhere to better identify the gear configuration by description or part number? Vendor for correct described light truck replacement gears and not Mustang?

Using one of several online speedometer gear calculators, with my tire size and rear end ratio the speedometer gears should be a 7 tooth drive gear and a 19 tooth driven gear on the cable end. But RH or LH pitch?

Convoy Driver

Old 07-11-2019, 02:45 PM
66v8baby
Elder User
66v8baby is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The vast majority are RH pitch with the cable on the driver's side of the trans. I also have 3.70 axle gears and I'm using the pink driven gear in my Tremec 5speed with P235/75 tires. It is spot on.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:43 PM
Convoy Driver
Junior User
More Speedometer inspection and testing today. Confirmed that the transmission drive gear and small driven gear are correct and working. But they are turning the cable the wrong direction at the dash. Confirmed operation is opposite by reconnecting the dash end of the cable into the speedometer cluster and backing down a straight side road in reverse at 20 MPH. Speedometer works when backing.

Was there some sort of reversing gear adapter on the back of speedometer to reverse the speedo cable rotation from Ford? I have seen a couple inline types on Auction sites that are a Ford OEM part number but I think they are for late 1950's Fords.

I know Auto Meter makes a right angle mechanical reversing adapter that will work but will be difficult to install with the 90 Degree angle.

I still don't understand why the truck needs, but does not have an adapter?

The Ford Service manuals and Parts Catalog CD were no help.

Convoy Driver

Old 07-12-2019, 04:45 AM
Crop Duster
Posting Guru
Crop Duster is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
ND has replied to a bunch of threads that addressed your problem, try the advanced search. I think you need to specify which transmission you have is it a type 2.77 with a non syncro first or a 3.03 with a synchronized first. I found several threads with part numbers for drive gears but without knowing exactly what transmission you have they don't mean much.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:33 PM
Convoy Driver
Junior User
Really? I will dig deeper then in the advanced search. Honestly I have tried to run this to conclusion using all the available resources.

Thanks

Convoy Driver

Old 07-12-2019, 06:46 PM
85e150
85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Crop Duster View Post
ND has replied to a bunch of threads that addressed your problem, try the advanced search. I think you need to specify which transmission you have is it a type 2.77 with a non syncro first or a 3.03 with a synchronized first. I found several threads with part numbers for drive gears but without knowing exactly what transmission you have they don't mean much.

OP would have a 3.03 if all 3 gears are synchro. If first is non-synchro, he would have a BW. Not sure the BW came without an OD.

A type 2.77 was used on small block 6s in small cars, not trucks.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:56 PM
85e150
85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.