Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hate this black wheel fad!

Old 07-12-2019, 05:19 AM
ncl
Posting Guru
ncl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by willynilly View Post
around this area ,brodozers are mostly all the same. typically 35" tire, generally toyos, 20" wheel with -44 offset. level kit, diesel engine with large exhaust tip and muffler removed

My buddy and I call them roller skates. Due to their similar look. Wide tires sticking way too far out.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:44 AM
Steelcity
Freshman User
Steelcity is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by willynilly View Post
around this area ,brodozers are mostly all the same. typically 35" tire, generally toyos, 20" wheel with -44 offset. level kit, diesel engine with large exhaust tip and muffler removed
Yep, this is all I see here in western PA.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:15 AM
ol blue 97
New User
ol blue 97 is starting off with a positive reputation.
When I see black wheels it looks about like dirty aluminum wheels that have never been cleaned.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:24 AM
Joe T
Posting Guru
Joe T is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Joe T is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You’ve always had black, machined, chrome, and white wheels.

I guess the next fad is white wheels? You can pay for optional white wheels if you get a GMC Savanna cargo van. Trying hard to bring back a fad.

How about Magnesium wheels? Anyone want those?

Do they even offer hub caps anymore?

Anyway, I like the factory wheels on my Platinum. I also like the factory amber clearance lights on the Magma Red paint. Doubt I will be blacking anything out.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:53 AM
zeroo
Elder User
zeroo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ol blue 97 View Post
When I see black wheels it looks about like dirty aluminum wheels that have never been cleaned.
It does. Like caked on dirt.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:08 AM
rewillia
Senior User
rewillia is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by KubotaOrange76 View Post
I settled for these, they have grown on me, but pain to wash. Method seems to make quality stuff like weld. I searched for months and every wheel i liked was only available in black or whatever.

Good looking setup, great choice of wheels.!

Old 07-12-2019, 01:07 PM
Yoteman
Senior User
Yoteman has a good reputation on FTE.Yoteman has a good reputation on FTE.
The older guys typically hate black wheels. They grew up with chrome and polished wheels and thatís just what they think looks kool. I really dig black wheels or even black and polished wheels. But it certainly depends on the vehicle. I donít think itís a fad, I think colored wheels are here to stay.

My wife just got a 2019 4runner TRD ORP and within the first week had me install an OME lift and RED AND BLACK 20Ē wheels. Red and black wouldnít have been MY choice but she loves them and she receives a ton of compliments on her ride.

But in the end all that matters is what you like. You have nobody else to please but yourself when it comes to YOUR ride.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:10 PM
honda250xtitan
Elder User
honda250xtitan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Yoteman View Post
The older guys typically hate black wheels. They grew up with chrome and polished wheels and thatís just what they think looks kool. I really dig black wheels or even black and polished wheels. But it certainly depends on the vehicle. I donít think itís a fad, I think colored wheels are here to stay.

My wife just got a 2019 4runner TRD ORP and within the first week had me install an OME lift and RED AND BLACK 20Ē wheels. Red and black wouldnít have been MY choice but she loves them and she receives a ton of compliments on her ride.

But in the end all that matters is what you like. You have nobody else to please but yourself when it comes to YOUR ride.
you put 20's on a 4runner? Thats the real crime here.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:52 PM
h20camper
Posting Guru
h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Gadget185 View Post
I'm with you. I don't care for it either. It looks decent on a few vehicles but mostly not. Now It is all about blacking everything out. It does nothing for me.
Often the black wheels and tires fade into the fender well and disappear, there is no contrast. what is left is a vehicle that appears to be floating in air
Originally Posted by George C View Post
I personally canít see spending more than a few dollars on a black wheel. They were spares in the trunk when I was a kid, and still look the part IMO.
Originally Posted by ol blue 97 View Post
Originally Posted by zeroo View Post
It does. Like caked on dirt.
All so true. I too don't get the 'black' out look. As other have said, to each their own. Give me chrome, polished or whatever to stand out with some contrast/slight bling.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:00 PM
Yoteman
Senior User
Yoteman has a good reputation on FTE.Yoteman has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by honda250xtitan View Post
you put 20's on a 4runner? Thats the real crime here.

You must not be very familiar with 4runners. Some models come with 20ís from the factory - at least the 2019 models do. Not sure about older models.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:30 AM
JKBrad
JKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to behold
In high school, back in ‘82, I had a tan Scout II. It had full wheel covers and bias ply Goodyear Trackers when I bought it. Being a a high school kid and not wanting the old man look, I pulled the wheel cover hub caps off. I didn’t have money for a new set of wheels, so I masked the tires off and painted stock wheels black. Then I dug up an old set of chrome lug nuts laying around and put those on. Finally I took a white tire marker and marked the raised black outline letters white. I got a bunch of compliments and a lot of guys thought I bought new wheels. The only black wheels I’ve had since then have been steel.

So you can blame me for starting the trend way back then. Just took over 30 years for it to really catch on.

Chrome, real copper base coat triple chrome, is almost a thing of the past. EPA has come down on those guys hard.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:54 AM
ATC Crazy
Post Fiend
ATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by h20camper View Post
All so true. I too don't get the 'black' out look. As other have said, to each their own. Give me chrome, polished or whatever to stand out with some contrast/slight bling.
So as I am looking through all the wheel choices, and looking at pictures of them on vehicles...you can't even make out what wheel is on the truck if it's black. The lighting has to be just right. So you spend all that money on aftermarket black wheels and can't even show them off...

Like this: What the heck are these? It just looks like you took MS paint and blacked them out...nothing there

vs. something that compliments the rest of the vehicle...and you can actually see what they are (sorry for the chebby}:

Old 07-13-2019, 05:32 AM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Posting Guru
Paw's 150 Lariat has much to be proud ofPaw's 150 Lariat has much to be proud ofPaw's 150 Lariat has much to be proud ofPaw's 150 Lariat has much to be proud ofPaw's 150 Lariat has much to be proud ofPaw's 150 Lariat has much to be proud ofPaw's 150 Lariat has much to be proud ofPaw's 150 Lariat has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by JKBrad View Post
In high school, back in Ď82, I had a tan Scout II. It had full wheel covers and bias ply Goodyear Trackers when I bought it. Being a a high school kid and not wanting the old man look, I pulled the wheel cover hub caps off. I didnít have money for a new set of wheels, so I masked the tires off and painted stock wheels black. Then I dug up an old set of chrome lug nuts laying around and put those on. Finally I took a white tire marker and marked the raised black outline letters white. I got a bunch of compliments and a lot of guys thought I bought new wheels. The only black wheels Iíve had since then have been steel.

So you can blame me for starting the trend way back then. Just took over 30 years for it to really catch on.

Chrome, real copper base coat triple chrome, is almost a thing of the past. EPA has come down on those guys hard.
Had you by 20 yrs! In the early 60's we would take off the hub caps...paint the wheels black and some added the chrome lug nuts. Did this on the '54 DeSoto I drove. Stock car and drag racer's would take the hub caps off to race and this probably started the fad in the 40's and 50's.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:01 AM
ATC Crazy
Post Fiend
ATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to behold
So I think I have settled on those Method NV 305's pictured above for my truck. This is the only picture I can find of them on a SD though:

Old 07-13-2019, 06:02 AM
ATC Crazy
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Paw's 150 Lariat View Post
Had you by 20 yrs! In the early 60's we would take off the hub caps...paint the wheels black and some added the chrome lug nuts. Did this on the '54 DeSoto I drove. Stock car and drag racer's would take the hub caps off to race and this probably started the fad in the 40's and 50's.
Some of the classier horse-drawn wagons back in the day had their wood wheels painted black

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.