Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hate this black wheel fad!

Old 07-11-2019, 12:10 AM
Tricon
Postmaster
Tricon has a very good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a very good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a very good reputation on FTE.
Why don't you get whatever wheel you like and have it machined?

Market goes where the market goes. God bless capitalism.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:25 AM
ATC Crazy
Post Fiend
ATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Tricon View Post
Why don't you get whatever wheel you like and have it machined?

Market goes where the market goes. God bless capitalism.
Does a wire wheel on a grinder count?

Old 07-11-2019, 01:48 AM
Ricktator
Junior User
Ricktator is starting off with a positive reputation.
I can powder coat some fluorescent pink on your rims! Hell I'll get creative and throw in some highlighter green stripes for free! (I have some pink leftover from doing wife's jeep) haha!

Old 07-11-2019, 03:13 AM
BillyE
Elder User
BillyE is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy View Post
My XLT wheels are ugly IMO.

Those are my favorite ones! I guess were all different

Old 07-11-2019, 03:30 AM
Sparky83
Posting Legend
Sparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputation
i agree... ever since the whole "blacked out" movement started with the mustangs i havent liked it.. then i was seeing it more and more in the truck country... i had the same problem when i was looking for my truck... they were either highly modified with lift kits, wheels and other personalized crap, or really beat up... IMO if your going to highly modify and personalize your vehicles it should be something your going to keep.. not try to sell or trade in for something else.. because other people dont want those kind of vehicles..

Ive always liked the chromed wheels look but i understand thats not for everyone... and personally rather them be steelies.. but getting harder and harder to find those... even though mine are polished aluminum i like em.. theyre simple and really easy to clean... the new spokey style like whats on your XLT i agree i dont care for those looks really either.. but even the aftermarkets are heading that direction in looks too...

Old 07-11-2019, 03:40 AM
rewillia
Senior User
rewillia is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Section179 View Post
I love the stock wheels. I can’t think of another wheel I’d be happier with.
Same here! I too like the stock wheels that came with my particular truck and have no intention of replacing them. Equally like many of the other stock Ford alloys I've seen on other late model SDs.

I do wish Ford would have provided them in a slightly wider rim size but that's not enough to warrant a replacing them within the scope of my needs. Oh and by the way, before someone barks back this (photo) was when the truck was near new. It does get dirty and used as a truck!

Old 07-11-2019, 04:58 AM
ATC Crazy
Post Fiend
ATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
Same here! I too like the stock wheels that came with my particular truck and have no intention of replacing them. Equally like many of the other stock Ford alloys I've seen on other late model SDs.

I do wish Ford would have provided them in a slightly wider rim size but that's not enough to warrant a replacing them within the scope of my needs. Oh and by the way, before someone barks back this (photo) was when the truck was near new. It does get dirty and used as a truck!

I like those wheels too

Old 07-11-2019, 05:09 AM
Poncho450
Posting Guru
Poncho450 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Poncho450 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Not a huge fan of the blacked out look, just like I never liked the big wheel bagger fad on motorcycles. But I'm not paying for the other guy's trucks or bikes. They probably don't like my factory F250 wheels or chrome RC Components wheels on my old Fat Boy either. That's life.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:49 AM
zeroo
Elder User
zeroo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy View Post
I actually wanted to buy to buy a set of those wheels not long after I got my truck...but after looking into it and seeing they are going for $1200+ (and seeing the price of tires for 20's) I just can't do it. I'm going with 17's. The price difference in tires vs. 18 or 20's will pay for the wheels I choose in a few sets. Plus I like the larger tire sidewall for ride, wheel protection, and look.
ebay has some great after market companies that sell factory takeoffs with no miles. I was going to buy some like your talking about but saw these black ones. They had 20 miles on them and had tpms still in them as well as the factory balance,so never broke down to take sensor out. Delivered for $1950. It was time for new tires and the Michelin’s were about $1500. So brand new factory rims/sensors cost $450.

These takeoffs don't have the sensor, which is normal. I got lucky with sensors still installed. If your due for tires and don't mind the michelins these rims can be had for minimal cost.
rims

TRIGGER WARNING! BLACK RIMS!

Old 07-11-2019, 07:23 AM
Shreve T
Senior User
Shreve T is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thew exact reason why I went with the polished look, Had Black wheels on my last ride and had enough of that fad..

Old 07-11-2019, 07:26 AM
wrvond
Postmaster
wrvond has a great reputation on FTE.wrvond has a great reputation on FTE.wrvond has a great reputation on FTE.wrvond has a great reputation on FTE.
Something about fake rim locks that I find off-putting as well.
Glossy black basket weave with fake rim locks are the absolute worst!

Old 07-11-2019, 07:50 AM
Akley88
Senior User
Akley88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
you could just get wheels you like powder coated or cerakoted. i dont really mind black wheels, yes you see them everywhere because thats what people want now. give it a few years and there will be another fad to replace it. i dont get the huge wheels with no side wall "off road" tires. to me that screams this truck will never see more then a dirt road or parked on my lawn.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:14 AM
George C
Elder User
George C is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.George C is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I personally can’t see spending more than a few dollars on a black wheel. They were spares in the trunk when I was a kid, and still look the part IMO.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:17 AM
BK39
Senior User
BK39 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think everything has it's place. Certain color trucks look good or okay with black wheels, certain colors do not. Ruby red, needs chrome wheels. The bright race red color is fine with black wheels. If I had a white truck, it'd get black wheels. A dark blue truck would get chrome.....etc. My only other option for the RR truck would be a nice set of Gold wheels.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:32 AM
Kaadk
Senior User
Kaadk is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Section179 View Post
I love the stock wheels. I cant think of another wheel Id be happier with.

My 18's are a little different, but I'm also good with the stock wheels. At this point in my life (Married... With Children), my truck is a truck and it's used as truck. My preferences now are more about function over appearance, and the stock wheels function just fine for my needs with an appearance that's not all that bad (i.e. anything with hubcaps, if it had hubcaps, those wheels would be replaced).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.