Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

1988 E250 CW 460 (7.5L) - How to replace spark plugs

Old 07-10-2019, 05:21 PM
Fishrule
New User
Fishrule is starting off with a positive reputation.
1988 E250 CW 460 (7.5L) - How to replace spark plugs

Trying to give my engine a tune up and can not get to the No's 1 & 2 spark plugs (Pass side, closest to front of engine. No 4 is no picnic either (driver's side, front). Any advice (besides pull the engine)?

It's no wonder that the other's I've been able to access look like they've been there for decades.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:24 PM
Fishrule
New User
Fishrule is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ok, I’ll answer my own question, again. Using a 3/8 drive socket, two 8” extensions, and two universals before the plug socket, go in through the aft most opening in the passenger wheel well, aiming for the front of the engine. Having a second person helping to then aim the socket into the plug recess was critical. Definitely a two person job...The Number Two socket is pretty easy to get to through the same opening in the passenger wheel well. Number 5 is relatively easy with an extension and a universal.

The hodgepodge of extensions and universals needed to get to spark plug number 1

Old 07-16-2019, 10:34 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Sam I Am has a very good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a very good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a very good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Fishrule View Post
Trying to give my engine a tune up and can not get to the No's 1 & 2 spark plugs (Pass side, closest to front of engine. No 4 is no picnic either (driver's side, front). Any advice (besides pull the engine)?

It's no wonder that the other's I've been able to access look like they've been there for decades.
As far as reaching them, you just have to do it how you did it and use however many extensions, wobbles, and U-joints it takes to get the socket to it.
You got your #4 wrong for a 460.

Old Yesterday, 06:31 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
^^^^ That's a great reference image of the various Ford engines we encounter here---thanks for posting it Sam I Am!

Reps sent.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.