Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaks in the back end.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:35 PM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
LiquidSteam is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Creaks in the back end.

After 2 years Im starting to notice audible creaks and clunks in the back end of the truck. Its such a difficult to diagnose issue. Soooo im wondering if anyone else has actually already diagnosed any issues and can point me in the right direction? Anything to grease? Bushings to replace or tighten? Thank you.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:13 PM
ATC Crazy
Post Fiend
ATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to beholdATC Crazy is a splendid one to behold
When does it happen? Bumps on the highway? Turning off the road into a driveway or parking lot (flexing the suspension some)?

Best thing to do is get out the socket set and crawl under the truck and check everything. Bed bolts too. And make sure the spare tire is still firmly in place.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:44 PM
seville009
Postmaster
seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.
Do you do much hauling? Thinking maybe put about five hundred pounds if something in the bed and see if the noises go away. If the noises are still there, then itís probably something loose. If the noise goes away, probably just normal unloaded suspension components

Old 07-10-2019, 07:37 PM
MJAB
New User
MJAB is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes...same here. Two year old 2017 F250 6.2 CCSB. I found out that my leaf springs were creaking a bit when unloaded. Only noticed it when going over very small bumps at slow speeds. Wound up spraying some lubricant in areas where the leaf springs touched each other and the sound went away. Not a permanent fix but at least I know what the noise is now. Had an older 1500 chevrolet that did the same thing.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:13 PM
fordman19762003
Posting Guru
fordman19762003 has a very good reputation on FTE.fordman19762003 has a very good reputation on FTE.fordman19762003 has a very good reputation on FTE.fordman19762003 has a very good reputation on FTE.
It's probably the springs or it could be the rear stabilizer bar if you have one.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:02 PM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
I only notice at slow speeds. It could be at all speeds but its more difficult to notice with wind noise.

As far as loaded goes i actually took everything out of my truck for cleaning and its after that i really started to notice. I have a cap so its still not completely unloaded however.

I removed the spare tire and all its components in the first week so its not that.

It wont hurt to clumb under and see if anything is loose. I already checked the track bar relocation bracket and its solid.

Could definitely be springs. I'll put my normal gear back in and try that. If that doesn't do it ill grease the leaf springs and see.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:57 PM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
Put my normal weight back in the truck and that didn't seem to help.

Sprayed the leaf springs down with fluid film today and that seems to have quelled like 90-95% of the noises. Thanks for all the tips.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:02 PM
GABAR
Postmaster
GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by LiquidSteam View Post
I only notice at slow speeds. It could be at all speeds but its more difficult to notice with wind noise.

As far as loaded goes i actually took everything out of my truck for cleaning and its after that i really started to notice. I have a cap so its still not completely unloaded however.

I removed the spare tire and all its components in the first week so its not that.

It wont hurt to clumb under and see if anything is loose. I already checked the track bar relocation bracket and its solid.

Could definitely be springs. I'll put my normal gear back in and try that. If that doesn't do it ill grease the leaf springs and see.

Thanks for the thoughts.
This problem extends to the F150 as well.
I have the same creaking noise on my 2016 F150 and it’s noticeable when backing up slowly or whenever the chassis is in transition while moving slowly.

I don’t know about you but I can’t hear it at regular speed.

I read a posting about this issue on another forum and many said it’s the isolation pad between the leaf springs.
Apparently over time, which is brief, the lubricant wears or washes away.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:40 AM
kry226
Elder User
kry226 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the same noise in the rear of my 2019 and it's my only enduring gripe about the truck. Weight makes no difference. I do have the camper package sway bar, but I think I've traced it down to the right side leaf spring bushings. I'm planning to drop it off here in the next week or so to see if they can squelch the clunking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.