Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

I bought the RONIN oil drain plug... REVIEW

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 07-10-2019, 12:57 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1
A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation

I bought the RONIN Factory drain l oil drain pan plug and did a full review. For those unware, the yellow one from Ford is a pain. This one tries to lessen the pain of changing your oil. It gives a controlled flow, has magnetic tip in the pan and it looks good.

Unfortunately it also helps to lighten your wallet quite a bit too

This is on my F150, but my understanding is some new Superdutys also have this plug design, so I thought I'd share it here too. I am quite happy with it.

Old 07-10-2019, 01:18 PM
wicked 2018
Elder User
wicked 2018 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nice review, but my 2018 diesel does not have a plug like this. Is this the gasser design?

Old 07-10-2019, 01:21 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1
A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by wicked 2018 View Post
Nice review, but my 2018 diesel does not have a plug like this. Is this the gasser design?
I truly don't know. Even on the F-150s it seems to be hit or miss. Most F-150s seem to have the yellow plug but some don't. I'm not entirely sure which ones do and don't

Old 07-10-2019, 01:21 PM
BOSS 379
New User
BOSS 379 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Any thoughts about the Fumoto quick drain versus this one?

Old 07-10-2019, 01:25 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1
Originally Posted by BOSS 379 View Post
Any thoughts about the Fumoto quick drain versus this one?
I prefer the Fumoto ball valve design because it's smaller and this one requires an adapter that I'll probably lose at some point.

However, Fumoto doesn't make a valve for this drain plug yet. Or rather anymore. They used to but it was a failed design that they no longer sell. Supposedly they are working on a new one, we will wait and see.

That is not to say that this is not a good drain plug. This is a very well-made high quality product. I just wish I didn't have to use an adapter piece that I will probably lose.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:02 PM
h20camper
Posting Guru
h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Neither one of my 6.2s had that type of drain plug. (See signature) And I think I’m glad too.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:10 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1
Well perhaps I was misinformed. Be glad. I'd much prefer a bottom mount metal plug.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:00 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by A/Ox4 View Post
Well perhaps I was misinformed. Be glad. I'd much prefer a bottom mount metal plug.
I would much rather a standard plug . For reference the 2011- 2012 (early) 6.7 had the plastic oil pan with the yellow plug. None of the other engines in the Superduty used the plug. For the F150 2015+ 2.7 all engines use the yellow plug. The 2017+ Gen2 EcoBoost used the yellow plug ( Except HO with aluminum pan) and all other f150 engines 18+ use the yellow plug.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:53 PM
67L48
Senior User
67L48 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
For $80, a drain plug is going to have to fetch me a beer or something while I wait for the oil to drain. That's just wildly egregious.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:14 PM
cficare
Postmaster
cficare has a good reputation on FTE.cficare has a good reputation on FTE.
I haven't tried the Fumoto, but I did install a Unique oil drain plug ... https://www.uniquetruck.com/category...il-drain-plugs
I have not been impressed with the Unique because draining the oil took almost 30 minutes. Looking at the video above, I dare say its flow rate would also take a long time to drain a diesel's engine oil (assuming one is available for the diesel). I'm going back to my OEM 6.7L drain plug.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:19 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1
Originally Posted by cficare View Post
I haven't tried the Fumoto, but I did install a Unique oil drain plug ... https://www.uniquetruck.com/category...il-drain-plugs
I have not been impressed with the Unique because draining the oil took almost 30 minutes. Looking at the video above, I dare say its flow rate would also take a long time to drain a diesel's engine oil (assuming one is available for the diesel). I'm going back to my OEM 6.7L drain plug.
I used a Fumoto on my 7.3 and it has a comparable flow rate. I would open the valve, and change the oil filter while it drained. By the time I was done with the first the oil pan was empty, so it's not unreasonable.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:20 PM
Chinookman
Elder User
Chinookman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Chinookman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by wicked 2018 View Post
Not mine. Has old fashion plug.
Though if I wasn't so cheap I'd get another Fumoto with nipple.
Install tygon tube and drain into jugs, easy peasy.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:08 PM
TCNashville
Senior User
TCNashville is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Chinookman View Post
Install tygon tube and drain into jugs, easy peasy.
Chinookman could you elaborate on this process? I make a mess every time I change the oil on my 6.2L. Thx.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:23 PM
Chinookman
Elder User
Chinookman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Chinookman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Chinookman could you elaborate on this process? I make a mess every time I change the oil on my 6.2L. Thx.
On my 7.3L power stroke I had one installed. The valve is FAA approved spring tensioned and slotted to prevent accidental position change.
https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/...modelId=582023

Once installed a piece of tygon is placed over the nipple and into a drain jug. Once jug is filled use the lever to close off, get another empty jug and repeat until pan is drained.
Hope this helps.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:57 PM
Sethcj
Freshman User
Sethcj is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a fumoto on my 2017 6.7 and really like it. Mainly because I donít need any tools to change my oil. Just a drain pan. Plus itís potentially less messy, although I have not used it with a hose.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: