6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

What are options for EGR after delete

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 04:51 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
What are options for EGR after delete

I'm not saying that I would but I am curious about what someone who deletes with say an X4 with Tyrant tunes would do with the EGR. Actually I guess what I'm wondering is what is the least you can do. Can you just ignore it because the tune turns it off? Or, must you pull the plug along with the tuner turning it off. Or must the plug be pulled and the cross pipe be removed and the block off plates be installed? Thanks

Old 07-09-2019, 07:17 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,370 Likes on 4,629 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
I'm not saying that I would but I am curious about what someone who deletes with say an X4 with Tyrant tunes would do with the EGR. Actually I guess what I'm wondering is what is the least you can do. Can you just ignore it because the tune turns it off? Or, must you pull the plug along with the tuner turning it off. Or must the plug be pulled and the cross pipe be removed and the block off plates be installed? Thanks
You forgot to write, "Asking for a friend."

Tell your friend he has to unplug the cooler. The new software tricks the ECM into thinking it's there I guess.

About the other stuff, let the guys who have done it help your friend out.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:58 AM
JoeVH
Mountain Pass
Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't have Tyrant tunes, but my tune shuts off the EGR. That's the minimum to do. I also had the cross pipe removed and blocking plates installed in order to install an EGT thermocouple in the manifold plate. Removing the entire EGR manifold is not necessary, although it would certainly open up the top of the engine a lot.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:46 AM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't have to unplug it. Mine is still plugged in. You don't have to remove the cross pipes immediately, but I still think it's a good idea. It seals the engine from whatever buildup might occur in the EGR, allegedly.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:09 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by Deuce40s
You don't have to unplug it. Mine is still plugged in. You don't have to remove the cross pipes immediately, but I still think it's a good idea. It seals the engine from whatever buildup might occur in the EGR, allegedly.
Thanks Deuce, I've been corrected. That's interesting as I thought it had to be. But can you also unplug it as well or does it have to stay plugged in?

Old 07-10-2019, 07:41 AM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Overkill2
Thanks Deuce, I've been corrected. That's interesting as I thought it had to be. But can you also unplug it as well or does it have to stay plugged in?
You can certainly unplug it. Most people do, it's a double fail safe. I simply forgot to unplug mine when I was deleting even though I planned to, then never went back.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:19 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Thanks Deuce. Appreciate the info.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:35 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
Mine was left plugged. They say not doing blocking plates or removing the EGR leaves the small chance of the EGR's seals leaking and exhaust getting by etc. Also it will trash the EGR in time due to exhaust still getting to it.
I left it on for now due to cost of removing and visual inspections. If I can get an inspection sticker from a easy going shop and some extra bucks the EGR will come off.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:51 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Thank you one and all.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:58 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Best thing to do is at least keep the exhaust gasses off the valve. Two ways to accomplish. First being a full cooler delete. It’s the most labor intensive. 2-3 hrs. Can be done in 1-2 hrs after you do a few of them. Second method is block off plates. Takes 15-30 mins depending on how much fight the two bolts give ya on the exhaust manifold.

Advantages of full cooler delete:
* Much cleaner engine bay.
*No chance of cooler leaking internally. (Extremely rare. Only read about one instance in the last few years.)

Advantages of blocker plates:
*Cheaper
* Easier install.
* Easier to go back to stock if events warrant it.

If you decide to go full cooler delete, get the flow-thru/pass thru plate. This allows the coolant to flow it’s natural route in the passenger head. Two biggest things to be careful of are:

1) Breaking the bolts off in the exhaust manifold. Been there. Done that. Have the top end of the engine removal pics to prove it

2) This one only could happen on a full cooler delete. If you get too rough with the cooler and attention isn’t paid, you will break off the plastic injector fuel returns.

Bare minimum, you should at least do blocker plates.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:22 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Thanks, I'm thinking doing the block off will suit me. I watched a you tube on the crossover pipe bolts and that has me spooked a bit. The guy in the video was being very careful, working the bolt out and in and squirting WD each time and he still broke it. He then made another video doing the repair. He had a kit made for repairing that problem so it must be pretty wide spread. That looked like way more work then I want to do. in the end it looked good but still, it was a lot of work. The truck he was working on had 60,000 miles he said. I'm at 70,000 and mine has been babied but I'm still worried I'll break one and then be in a real pickle.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:11 PM
bobcat67
More Turbo
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Thanks, I'm thinking doing the block off will suit me. I watched a you tube on the crossover pipe bolts and that has me spooked a bit. The guy in the video was being very careful, working the bolt out and in and squirting WD each time and he still broke it. He then made another video doing the repair. He had a kit made for repairing that problem so it must be pretty wide spread. That looked like way more work then I want to do. in the end it looked good but still, it was a lot of work. The truck he was working on had 60,000 miles he said. I'm at 70,000 and mine has been babied but I'm still worried I'll break one and then be in a real pickle.
I had some friends that talked about removing these things and so on a so forth and it didn't seem to matter the amount of miles, the only one that my friend has done that was really simple was his personal vehicle and it was removed with 298 miles on it, it was fairly simple, my friend really likes Schaeffer's Penetro 90 or whatever it's called, let that soak in for a few hours while working on the other components and has seemed to always make it a breeze.