Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V10 Mod Questions- Your feedback please!

Old 07-08-2019, 10:29 PM
Nate Ishtar
New User
Nate Ishtar is starting off with a positive reputation.
V10 Mod Questions- Your feedback please!

I've got the motor out of my 2005 King Ranch (6.8) and while I'm in there, I figure I'd like to do some mods. Planning on doing a tune from 5 star already, but was wondering about the following:

Y pipe replacement/cat delete- does this do anything?
Exhaust replacement- any benefit here other than noise?
Gear swap- Does this happen in the tranny or transfer case- and what ratio is the best for towing horse trailers?

Also, going to rebuild the bottom end, timing, and heads. Already planning on OEM cast iron tensioners and new oil pump, any recommendations/favorites on gasket/rebuild kit manufacturers?

Thanks, oh wise ones.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:30 AM
Krewat
Admin Newbie
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Since it's a 2005 F-series, it's a 3-valve.

1) Exhaust work won't get you anything. The 3-valve has nice flowing "header like" exhaust manifolds, and I don't think there are a lot (if any) choices out there for headers. It's OBD-II so unless you get the rear O2 sensors taken out with a tune, you'll get a check engine light and not pass emissions anyway.
2) No idea - a bigger Magnaflow (stainless) might do nicely for some low-end "burble". But when you get on it, it'll sound like a V10
3) Gear swaps are rear end differential, and if you have 4x4, you need to do the front one too. However, it's the most direct way to get more torque-to-the-ground. What do you have now, and are you on stock-size tires?

Other than those things, I have no other insights. Good idea on the tensioners and oil pump

Old 07-11-2019, 03:15 PM
Diamnd1
Elder User
Diamnd1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Diamnd1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
There just isn't much available as far as performance aftermarket support for the V10. Tunes, gears, and a free flowing muffler is going to be about it. The old Big block is what it is! A gas guzzlin workhorse!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.