Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > 1968-2013 Full Size Vans
Reload this Page >

Very Adjustable external tire mount, on a E350 but is kind of Universal..

Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Old 07-08-2019, 08:59 PM
patineto
Senior User
patineto is starting off with a positive reputation.

Finally I can share something "useful" instead and asking for advice and help...

First, this van cost me almost nothing, so if the door becomes misaligned, bend, bow, kattywompus I don't really care to much, then again I want to be as gentle and careful as possible so I can understand and make evident the shortcomings on the design (what I do for living)..

I'm a big proponent of adapting what is already made that fit you purpose, land rovers are some of my favorites since the rate of engine failures is so high (they will all DYE sooner or later) they are millions of spare parts, plus a massive aftermarket support so thing like this tire mount cost me almost nothing.. ($35 shipped)

I also modified my trusty KUAT rack so the arm is longer (and also lower since my hitch is mounted really high) and need to make sure I can still use the rack with the spare tire..

The carrier is going to be mounted on a very adjustable "Platform" (about 6 inches of side to side locations and almost 10 inches of up and down) the idea so far is to keep the spare as low as possible, in fact almost touching my bumper, but I try to "Future proofed" just in case I ever get bigger tires, who knows..

the door is going to be gusset it to diminish the "Hotspots" of generated by the mounting hardware and the rigidity of the aluminum frame..

80-20 is the ***** by the way..

this three pictures show you the basic *Stage one out of three) up and down adjustment..

Hopefully I will have install really soon..

Old 07-09-2019, 04:22 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Please don't take this as harsh criticism of your adaptation Patineto but question and an observation.......

What's wrong with using the spare tire winch that comes stock with the E-Series---the one under the body between the rear frame rails?

I get you don't care about this van and if it creates issues with the door you're not concerned however the door shell where you'll be mounting this is woefully thin and will simply not support the weight of a full-sized tire and wheel. Even though you'll support the mount from the inside of the door that doesn't add enough strength to do as you're hoping. The small footprint of your 80/20 material isn't sufficient to spread or place the tire/wheel load where it would be more properly located.

Looking back to the era when similar outside spare mounts were common they were attached to the actual door hinges and to the outside even of the door shell where its three or four metal thicknesses, holes drilled to firmly fasten the mount to the door shell.

Proceed as you see fit, I'm just offering another perspective.

Old 07-09-2019, 04:57 AM
patineto
Senior User
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Please don't take this as harsh criticism of your adaptation Patineto but question and an observation.......
On the Contrary, I love "head up" specially from sharp members like you..

What's wrong with using the spare tire winch that comes stock with the E-Series---the one under the body between the rear frame rails?
The Space for the spare is going to become a "Stash" for all the heavy stuff that those not belong around Kiddos and is to heavy to put on the roof.( Spine surgery weight limitations)

i'm not building any "Furniture" for the van (main purposes to move big random stuff and then have a playground for my girls), at least any affix storage so the two spaces in between the cross brace are getting a new duty (Don't worry I'm very aware of the movement of the punking and related items)

I get you don't care about this van and if it creates issues with the door you're not concerned however the door shell where you'll be mounting this is woefully thin and will simply not support the weight of a full-sized tire and wheel. Even though you'll support the mount from the inside of the door that doesn't add enough strength to do as you're hoping. The small footprint of your 80/20 material isn't sufficient to spread or place the tire/wheel load where it would be more properly located.
My original concept is based on a "Exoskeleton" a rim around the rear of the van, not even touching it, (Not hack bolts) but proper mounts, from the bumper, bike rack, but my welder and my real toys are in storage, plus sourcing the bends tubes) so that will be next years project..

You are totally right the external foot print of the 80-20 is to small, the skin on this van has only one structural Rib and the wall thickness is minimal (Still thicker than a sprinter van)

I just want the challenge, I grow up with learning disabilities (Massive Dyslexia) but even then I end up with a few titles and scholarships (Do to my Funky ways mostly and hard core work habits) basically I learn by experimentation and thinking and rethinking (something I'm very much out of practice)

If it fails, hopefully I can just re install new hinges and a new door, I live in minneapolis, is not like if I was living in Utah or something full of "Sweet Jumps"

Looking back to the era when similar outside spare mounts were common they were attached to the actual door hinges and to the outside even of the door shell where its three or four metal thicknesses, holes drilled to firmly fasten the mount to the door shell.
Well aware of "Stressed skins" (work on Composites and polycarbonate for years) and you are right it may fail, or even better IT WILL FAIL, I just hope it last until I can build something more elaborate and inclusive)

Proceed as you see fit, I'm just offering another perspective.
Please don't restrain from your opinions (for everybody) I just need a project to keep my brain busy (complex personal reasons)

Old 07-09-2019, 06:08 PM
patineto
Senior User
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Taking your advice to the extreme, I measure and figure out a way to make a inner frame for the door that will interconnects the two OEM Hinges (On the inside blind) to the spare tire mount bracket..

Only big issue is aligning all the treadths and the limited access to the two upper bolts hinges, I just don't want to make swiss cheese out of the back of the door, but I will need to drill some holes to get the ratchet heads to the bolts (even if they are cap bolts (allen/torxs.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.