Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > 1968-2013 Full Size Vans
Reload this Page >

I bought a 1998 E-350 Motor Home with a V-10 Engine has anyone had any problems......

Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

I bought a 1998 E-350 Motor Home with a V-10 Engine has anyone had any problems......

Old 07-08-2019, 04:39 PM
KitsKid
Senior User
KitsKid is starting off with a positive reputation.

My new to me 1998 E-350 with a V-10 Engine only has 87K miles on it runs like a new one. I am NOT familiar with this engine. Has anyone had any experience good or bad with this engine? I took a trip in it and was really impressed with it. I did not check my mileage but I thought it did good. Running the onboard generator to run an oxygen machine. Didn't notice too many stops for gas. Thanks for all replies. Humor an "old" man and tell me your experiences.😄

Old 07-09-2019, 04:33 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
You could post this same question in the V10 Modular Motor Forum as well.

Generally the Ford Modular Motors of which the V10 is one are robust and pretty much highly reliable IF the suggested and recommended maintenance is performed by competent and trustworthy mechanics---those are typically NOT found in the dealerships BTW.

If I had to state a downside its spark plugs and the problems that can arise with that design engine. Too many buy into the hype the plugs will last 100K miles--its my opinion and to a degree experience changing them closer to 50K is much better. Changing at that interval and following a few simple steps pretty much assures a trouble free life in that regard.

Another issue with that era drive train is proper maintenance of the transmission. Too many are lead to believe that at some interval its best to drop the fluid pan, replace the filter, refill with the proper ATF and you're good as gold. Fact is that's NOT as beneficial to your vehicle as it is to the goofball performing and charging for that service. The better practice is a full fluid exchange or "flush" where all ATF is pumped out and new added---this could be done every 50K miles or so.

That's about all that comes immediately to mind, hope its helpful.

Old 07-09-2019, 08:01 AM
KitsKid
Senior User
KitsKid is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
You could post this same question in the V10 Modular Motor Forum as well.

Generally the Ford Modular Motors of which the V10 is one are robust and pretty much highly reliable IF the suggested and recommended maintenance is performed by competent and trustworthy mechanics---those are typically NOT found in the dealerships BTW.

If I had to state a downside its spark plugs and the problems that can arise with that design engine. Too many buy into the hype the plugs will last 100K miles--its my opinion and to a degree experience changing them closer to 50K is much better. Changing at that interval and following a few simple steps pretty much assures a trouble free life in that regard.

Another issue with that era drive train is proper maintenance of the transmission. Too many are lead to believe that at some interval its best to drop the fluid pan, replace the filter, refill with the proper ATF and you're good as gold. Fact is that's NOT as beneficial to your vehicle as it is to the goofball performing and charging for that service. The better practice is a full fluid exchange or "flush" where all ATF is pumped out and new added---this could be done every 50K miles or so.

That's about all that comes immediately to mind, hope its helpful.
Thanks! I too am of the belief to NOT disturb the pan on an automatic transmission unless there is a reason.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:47 AM
Nothing Special
Postmaster
Nothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to all
I don't have enough experience to comment on reliability or maintenance issues. But I had a 5.7L V8 in a 2008 F-250 and now have the V10 in my 2018 E-450 motorhome. Just didn't / haven't put enough miles on them to be very helpful there.

I will say that both got surprisingly (to me) good gas mileage and made plenty of power if I'm willing to let them rev. I'm more old-school and I don't really like listening to truck engines much over 3500 rpm, and the modular motors don't make much power below that. But let the auto trans do its thing and the V10 will easily push my motorhome up a pretty steep grade at 65+ mph (but at 5500+ rpm).

Old 07-10-2019, 04:22 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by KitsKid View Post
Thanks! I too am of the belief to NOT disturb the pan on an automatic transmission unless there is a reason.
In your case if the Mark K flush were to be done you'd want to drop the pan and replace the existing filter for the last time. As Mark K says those filters were designed to remain in place for the life of the transmission, most likely in excess of 300K miles if maintained properly.

After that never again remove the pan!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.