Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TS chip, 6 way. For $100?

Old 07-08-2019, 01:50 PM
Oldanvilyoungsmith
Senior User
Oldanvilyoungsmith is starting off with a positive reputation.
TS chip, 6 way. For $100?

Alrightie, I've done some searching on here, and found that the consensus is the TS chip is decent, but not the best option for our trucks.

I hadn't really been intending to get a tuner anytime soon, because I didn't have the spare money, but a fellow I work with has one that he wants to sell me for $100. That's a good bit cheaper than new, and I'm considering buying it.

For that price, and with the caveats mentioned, would ya'll say it's worth it, or save my $? Any concerns with buying a used chip?

The guy who has it said it wouldn't work with his truck because he had a different serial # on his trucks computer... any idea what that's about? The box for the chip said it works with 95-03 power strokes.

As you can tell, I'm new to the tuners stuff, never messed with it, and haven't researched it a ton.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:50 PM
lpzd
Senior User
lpzd is starting off with a positive reputation.
ts chip has to be programmed for the computer in your truck, it will "work" on 95-03 if the proper tune is on the chip for the truck.

can he tell you what dpc code it was tuned for?
if you do buy it you will likely have to send it to someone to have correct tunes for your truck loaded onto it at additional cost

Old 07-08-2019, 06:34 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
The PCM has a code on it. The TS has to be programmed for that specific module. It's a shot in the dark not knowing what the pcm code is on the TS. However, it should be compatible as the herd of codes was very thin in that year group. Any way you can get hands on the original documents.

See if there is a serial on the chip itself and go from there.

I have one and am very happy with it.

It's low tech considering what's out there but I use forescan so I don't need my pushrods and EGT's in my face while I'm driving.

Good bang for the buck. You'll be happy if you can get it up and onboard.

BTW, take a peak at your PCM code and your buddys. If they're the same, walk away.

Denny

Old 07-08-2019, 06:47 PM
Wesley Green
Posting Guru
Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.
I run a TS6, granted it matches my PCM code so i don't have that headache to mess with. It's not nearly as easy to get new tunes on it as a Hydra, but it definately works for my simple needs.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:58 PM
cleatus12r
Post Fiend
cleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputation
I would jump on it. Send it to me. I'll put the correct tuning on it for your PCM code. $100 is a steal as long as it's not dead (fried).

As far as the TS Performance chips are concerned, they are rock-solid and bulletproof. It's not that they're not "the best option" but they're not exactly the easiest to transfer from owner to owner or reflash without the tools to do it. The tuning that goes on a TS Performance chip can be exactly the same as what goes on any of the newer, more expensive chips on the market.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:16 PM
Wesley Green
Posting Guru
Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Send it to me. I'll put the correct tuning on it for your PCM code.
Shoot that offer is worth 5 times the price of admission

Old 07-08-2019, 08:58 PM
cleatus12r
Post Fiend
cleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputation
It'll be stock TS Performance calibrations.

I don't plan on sending my own out anymore.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:09 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
Nicely done Cleatus.

This is a great site because of people like you. Thanx for that! From all of us. Problem solved,

Denny

Old 07-08-2019, 09:16 PM
cleatus12r
Post Fiend
Shoot me a PM if you're interested, Oldanvil.

I'll give you a PO Box number and address to which you can ship it. Don't worry about return postage, I'll cover that. I just need YOUR PCM code (either the code itself which would be three letters and a number) or the DPC-xxx code ("xxx" referring to the three digit number after the "DPC-"). ...both of which will be on the sticker on the PCM connector.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:59 AM
Oldanvilyoungsmith
Senior User
Oldanvilyoungsmith is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Shoot me a PM if you're interested, Oldanvil.

I'll give you a PO Box number and address to which you can ship it. Don't worry about return postage, I'll cover that. I just need YOUR PCM code (either the code itself which would be three letters and a number) or the DPC-xxx code ("xxx" referring to the three digit number after the "DPC-"). ...both of which will be on the sticker on the PCM connector.

I'm PMing you in just a minute. Thank you sir.

Any advice on visually telling if the chip is good before purchasing it?

Old 07-10-2019, 06:23 AM
cleatus12r
Post Fiend
No way of knowing unfortunately. There's not enough current coming out of the PCM to physically "smoke" anything; all of the damage is going to be invisible until it's hooked to the reflash device.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:38 PM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
Anvil...since he's a buddy. Get it and send it out. If Cletus determines if its good/bad then go from there...

Cody...if you have "anything" on hand thats collecting dust. Ill take 1. My trucks a zf6, no crying here of funny shifting

Old 07-12-2019, 08:42 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant future
Have you purchased the chip yet?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.