Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

California BAR/CARB Regulations re Engine/Transmission Change

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 07-07-2019, 11:27 PM
Tim Hodgson
Learning slowly...
Tim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to behold

My 2002 E350 7.3 PSD likely will need an engine replacement or change.

California distinguishes between the two, and heavily regulates engine changes:

https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/Engi...uidelines.aspx

Apparently you can only change the transmission if you also change the engine:

https://jagsthatrun.com/pages/dont-w...rnia-smog-laws

I have always wanted a ZF6 or ZF5 in my van (there are at least two members here who have done that) . And my transfer case needs replacement or a rebuild anyway.

So, does anyone know if BAR/CARB would approve the installation of a 7.3 PSD F-Series with a ZF6 or ZF5 and the NP273 transfer case?

Old 07-07-2019, 11:58 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
aawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud of
After reading that, seems like you're over-thinking this. Rebuild the current 7.3 and stick whatever trans you want behind it, nobody gonna care. Smog tech sees correct engine and never even looks at the trans.

I think those regs are to limit guys doing LSx swaps into late models.

That said, I'm no expert.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:43 AM
Tim Hodgson
Learning slowly...
Tim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to behold
Hmmm... That would be an interesting first approach.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:38 AM
268Fords
Senior User
268Fords is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.268Fords is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Definitely over thinking it. A smog tech in California will check your sticker under the hood to see if you if it says catalyst or non catalyst, maybe visually look at the engine, check for any codes thrown, exhaust opacity test, and maybe look for a muffler. All techs are different. I’ve never had one look at my engine or even look for a muffler( I have one). They don’t check the door sticker for any reason.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:20 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant future
Never had the transmission looked at during any of my smog checks down here.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:00 PM
dmd
Senior User
dmd is starting off with a positive reputation.
My truck is a CA truck, bought it there so it has the glow plug module. It gets strange looks from 7.3 folks that know the engine here in Tx. Our inspection
is just a safety inspection, lights, tires, brakes.. They never lift the hood or test anything. So glad we moved out 13 years ago.

Last I was there I got chased down by a CHP when I had pretty much straight pipe and towing, a little smokey and loud too as it isnt tuned to tow
that slow (55 Limit). Once he saw my TX plate he let me go.

I had a '66 Chevy when I was there, it had to pass smog too.. After 20 years I swapped motors to a non-smog motor from another car so I didnt have to
deal with it.. Back then they just looked at the motor and if it didnt have any smog ports they passed it.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:06 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by dmd View Post
I had a '66 Chevy when I was there, it had to pass smog too..
Good gravy, that was way back when they first enacted in in the early 80's. You musta lived here for a long while if you only left 13 years ago.

Stewart

Old 07-13-2019, 07:29 AM
dmd
Senior User
dmd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
Good gravy, that was way back when they first enacted in in the early 80's. You musta lived here for a long while if you only left 13 years ago.

Stewart

Yea.. My whole life.. Took me that long to come to my senses...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.