Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp Powersteps and Factory Integration

Old 07-08-2019, 07:44 PM
PradaF350
New User
PradaF350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
very nice setup, I dont think ill need the switch either, the power steps are going for $1300 and I just added up the parts for the OEM step going for over $2000.00

Old 07-08-2019, 07:46 PM
PradaF350
New User
So that last question is, does the OEM PRB module sense increased current when fully deployed or stowed? Or does it use the hall effect sensor to detect position?

Old 07-08-2019, 07:51 PM
Mkos1980
Elder User
Mkos1980 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The other wires detect position. I'm guessing it works somewhat like a wiper motor too. But with a little more.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:13 AM
Anibal Medina
Senior User
Anibal Medina is starting off with a positive reputation.
all it does is senses resistance and allows the PRB to stay in the position that is at example
PRB is down and something gets stuck like a foot it prevents the PRB to continue to retract,
if its retracted and senses it can not deploy like if its frozen the it stops the motor to keep it from burning out or braking something like the gears...

Old 07-10-2019, 09:13 AM
Anibal Medina
Senior User
that looks good!

Old 07-10-2019, 04:00 PM
homerj
Senior User
homerj is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Mkos1980 View Post
Yea... I ordered the full amp setup and override switch from electeicstep.com for $1200 bucks. I've yet to put the switch on as I've found I haven't needed it yet. LoL
One nice think about switch is if you park next to cars can leave them done for door ding protection. I just step on it but can only do that on one side when by self.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:10 PM
PradaF350
New User
Anibal,
So upon deploy or stow, the OEM PRB will function to 100% then stop? so, do you think my theory to use the deploy and stow wires only from the OEM PRB to the two wires from the motors on the AMP powersteps might function through the truck?
I have not purchased the AMP step yet and am just mulling over the wiring before I do, plus I am out of the country working so I am trying to understand the full function of the OEM PRB wiring.
Thanks for the input, very much appreciated.
Mike

Old 07-10-2019, 08:02 PM
JHForman812
Senior User
JHForman812 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by PradaF350 View Post
Anibal,
So upon deploy or stow, the OEM PRB will function to 100% then stop? so, do you think my theory to use the deploy and stow wires only from the OEM PRB to the two wires from the motors on the AMP powersteps might function through the truck?
I have not purchased the AMP step yet and am just mulling over the wiring before I do, plus I am out of the country working so I am trying to understand the full function of the OEM PRB wiring.
Mike

The Hall effect sensors are nothing more than proximity sensors, near and far tells the motors when to stop. The amp boards most like use some kind of current sensing relay in the module to know when the stop has been met, the draw will be heavier when itís either deployed or stowed and the module will cut power to the motor. The factory module most likely doesnít have the ability to sense current to stop the motor, itís looking for the proximity sensor, unless they have a current sense built in as a back up in case the proximity sensors fall(which they do).

Old 07-10-2019, 08:09 PM
PradaF350
New User
Thanks JHForman812, That is good information and I will attempt test these theories and report back to the board, I would really like to make this work so I'll give it a try.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:20 PM
JHForman812
Senior User
Thanks JHForman812, That is good information and I will attempt test these theories and report back to the board, I would really like to make this work so I'll give it a try.
Itís crazy to think the factory parts cost 2k, itís a 997$ option when building the truck, I had them put on mine when I ordered it.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:36 PM
JHForman812
Senior User
I wanna figure out how to get the navigator running board lights on my truck, they look bad *** but I canít find a good picture of them currently.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:09 PM
PradaF350
New User
I forgot all about adding them when I bought the truck, so I am stuck with taking the $ hit and going with AMP, I have never seen the navigator running board lights, may have to search for them and see, I have some lighting ideas for the running boards but would like to see other ideas

Old 07-10-2019, 11:25 PM
ninthwonder
New User
ninthwonder is starting off with a positive reputation.
Iíve been looking at this for a while now as well since I havenít been able to track down a set of used running boards. When I priced out the parts for all oem the other day is 2400+ and then you need to make the harness. Hopefully youíre able to get it to work!

Old 07-11-2019, 07:28 AM
JHForman812
Senior User
I forgot all about adding them when I bought the truck, so I am stuck with taking the $ hit and going with AMP, I have never seen the navigator running board lights, may have to search for them and see, I have some lighting ideas for the running boards but would like to see other ideas

When Iím back at work Sunday Iíll post a picture of the setup the navigator has, itís really clean.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:05 AM
Anibal Medina
Senior User
yes first question.i dont think so , it might give you error code on the OEM module, the OEM module has a self preservation feture that wont allow it to operate if it dont see what it thinks it needs , i will try to find AMP schematics and see how the operate.

Anibal,
Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.