Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

How about a motivation thread?

Old 07-09-2019, 11:16 PM
kr98664
Posting Guru
kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by packagerjr View Post
Take a break from the truck and put a tarpon it.
Well, there is a certain satisfaction from doing the work yourself, versus paying salmon else to do it.

If the fish theme becomes too much, we can always scale back.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:43 AM
willyd520
Junior User
willyd520 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Truck's looking good! It's okay to take a break and not work on it. I waited 4 years before I finally did ANYTHING with my old truck. But when I finally did things went 0-100 pretty fast. If you're looking for a complete disassembly thread...enjoy mine below.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...onversion.html

Honestly though man, get it running and just enjoy the fruits of your labor for a little bit. Then work on it as you drive it. Nothing is more motivating then getting behind the wheel of a truck you've been slaving away on and driving it. Hell I'm still working on mine (even though I haven't updated my thread) and it's still a PITA.

Hang in there man - don't trout yourself!

Old 07-10-2019, 10:49 AM
packagerjr
Elder User
packagerjr has a good reputation on FTE.packagerjr has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by kr98664 View Post
Well, there is a certain satisfaction from doing the work yourself, versus paying salmon else to do it.

If the fish theme becomes too much, we can always scale back.
The puns in this thread are whale overdone.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:57 AM
kr98664
Posting Guru
kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by packagerjr View Post
The puns in this thread are whale overdone.

Gill-ty as charged.

It's just that when I see somebody having trouble getting their truck back on the road, I hate to see them flounder about.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:38 PM
yarddogg77
Senior User
yarddogg77 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've got nothing...... Update, yesterday I bench tuna the carburetor, today I am fishing for parts in the wrecking yard and hoping to find some pearls, I'm getting clammy just thinking about it.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:00 PM
kr98664
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by yarddogg77 View Post
I've got nothing...... Update, yesterday I bench tuna the carburetor, today I am fishing for parts in the wrecking yard and hoping to find some pearls, I'm getting clammy just thinking about it.

After all that work, I've bet you've got some really sore mussels.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:55 AM
yarddogg77
Senior User
Progress. The motor is in, oil is primed, things are hooked up. I still need to make a throttle cable bracket, and I would like to make a manifold shroud for heated air intake......

I used nylon air tubing for all the vacuum lines hoping for quicker vacuum build, and better brakes, I think it should help all around.

Here's my exhaust collector. There is a much nicer weld underneath the ones you see. I just like to walk a little extra over the top for strength.

Then I squid underneath and installed the final exhaust clam. This is just a 2 3/8" fence post exhaust with a 2 1/2" glass pack. It should breath well enough for a stock cam and two barrel.

Today I want to finally pull out the dash and get to work on the luxury air vents. Then the front clip can go back on.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:23 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to all
Bet it felt good to get the motor back on and hooked up.
Looks good
Dave - - - -

Old 07-11-2019, 09:35 AM
yarddogg77
Senior User
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2 View Post
Bet it felt good to get the motor back on and hooked up.
Looks good
Dave - - - -
Honestly I just want to drive it. I'm really curious how the 2100 2 barrel is going to work with the exhaust. It was just too much of a turtle for me on the highway before. I'm hoping it will at least have average power for an old truck. It should sound a little meaner too, I still had the cat on it before, it almost sounded like a cummins but quieter, weird sound.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:57 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to all
I would like to know how that v2 carb & EFI setup does.
What did you have on her before?
I have the stock carb / intake and EFI manifolds but don't know how it run or power before as I have never driven it at all.
Dave - - - -

Old 07-11-2019, 12:21 PM
Rusty_S
Postmaster
Rusty_S is a splendid one to beholdRusty_S is a splendid one to beholdRusty_S is a splendid one to beholdRusty_S is a splendid one to beholdRusty_S is a splendid one to beholdRusty_S is a splendid one to behold
For your hot air stove for the air cleaner check this out.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-24512

This is sized for fitting my hedman header tubes but I know they make them larger but in reality all you need is just two hose clamps bit enough to fit around your pipe.

Im going to get some different clamps something that looks more professional than the worm gear clamp to attach mine to number 1 cylinder tube.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:03 PM
yarddogg77
Senior User
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2 View Post
I would like to know how that v2 carb & EFI setup does.
What did you have on her before?
I have the stock carb / intake and EFI manifolds but don't know how it run or power before as I have never driven it at all.
Dave - - - -
All I had on before is the stock 1 barrel and stock exhaust log. My down pipe was a botched together mess, then I still had the cat on, with the glass pack behind it. Total slug. I could step on it all I wanted and it would just slowly creep up faster. It would do 70 eventually.

Some people have told me the 2100 isn't going to have enough CFM because the Offy-C intake is large inside and recommends a 500 CFM carb at least. I thought there were 8 different sizes of 2100 the largest being 434 CFM, and I thought that's what I ordered but I could be wrong. CFM is decided by the venturi size, I'm sure I have the large one. So we'll see.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:03 PM
yarddogg77
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rusty_S View Post
For your hot air stove for the air cleaner check this out.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-24512

This is sized for fitting my hedman header tubes but I know they make them larger but in reality all you need is just two hose clamps bit enough to fit around your pipe.

Im going to get some different clamps something that looks more professional than the worm gear clamp to attach mine to number 1 cylinder tube.
I really like the loks of that, nice and simple, how well does it work? Can you feel the warm air coming off of it in the winter? I have about a foot of 3" pipe laying there I could use in the same way, I wasn't sure if it would do much good though just wrapping one short section.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:18 PM
kr98664
Posting Guru
Pics look great! You’ve really seized the opportunity to get stuff done.

Carp diem!

Old 07-11-2019, 05:57 PM
yarddogg77
Senior User
Yeah but I hit a snag today. I already knew there was rust in my firewall seem. When I removed the heater box I found it was thick and scaly inside the cab under the windshield wiper box. You can see it in the pics inside the engine bay. I saw a thread a while ago and someone mentioned thin solvent like rust neutralizer that I can poor in the seam to stop it. I would like to find out what that is. I need to wire wheel it and see what the damage is, I don't think it's terrible, but who knows.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.