Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaf shackle bushings shot, should I worry?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 08:31 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Leaf shackle bushings shot, should I worry?

@calvinhg has metal on metal at the front leaf shackles both sides. The bushings are pretty much gone on the top side of the shackles, so metal is in contact with the bolts that go to the frame. It makes a racket.

I told him I think he should probably park the truck for now before some metal parts get messed up pretty bad. He's planning to do an ORU reverse shackle kit this summer.

What do you think?

Old 07-06-2019, 09:28 PM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
Received 731 Likes on 585 Posts
Not an instant worry, because it's been getting that way for years and you're just now noticing it due to the noise.
Personally, I'd change it now so you can drive the vehicle. It's really not that expensive for a new poly bushings, and not hard to replace technically speaking.

It certainly is a hassle, just getting the truck set up to get the shackle out of the pocket (picture makes it look like a shock bushing!) and all, then probably working at it a bit to get it out of the shackle itself, but usually a poly bushing can be installed by hand and at the most with a hammer, so for a quick few bucks and an afternoon you could have a drivable truck again.
I don't know if this particular design also makes you deal with the metal sleeves that are typically part of the vulcanized rubber bushings that the factory tends to use, but that could add another layer of hassle to removing the old bushing. But the new one is usually cake to replace.

Good luck. If it was mine I'd do it now unless I just didn't need the truck. And it sounds like maybe you don't, so it can be parked without hurting the transportation and fun part of the fleet. But it'd still be nice to have a new one.
And you could likely re-use the new bushing on the new kit when you install it later.
Do you have the kit now by the way? Does it come with new bushings? If so, check them and I bet the shackle eye bushing fits the stock shackle too. Worth checking with the company at least.

Paul

Old 07-06-2019, 10:09 PM
calvinhg
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's been making that noise for a while, I just only got around to looking at it yesterday when I was replacing my bumper bolts... I could indeed replace them right now, but I'd rather do it all at once when I install the shackle reversal kit. It may even come with new bushings, that'd be nice.

And no, I don't have the kit yet, as it happens to cost $500, and I happen to be recovering from a bumper, SD seats, and a new impact drill... I'll get it this August, hopefully?

I didn't know it'd be that easy to replace though. Thought I'd need a press, or air hammer to pull the old ones out, and a press to put the new ones in. If it's that easy, I may just replace them now then.

Thanks for the info!

Old 07-07-2019, 12:26 AM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
Received 731 Likes on 585 Posts
I should not speak out of my you-know-what regarding things I have not done before, since I have not done your particular year before. But all the poly bushings I've replaced over the years, whether they are leaf spring, shackle, trackbar, or other, were all installed with just a bit of hand pressure, or in the more snug-fitting ones, a little persuasion with a hammer on the inner sleeve. Usually a quick 1-hit wonder.

The worst job that I usually get to deal with is a shackle though. The Early Broncos had rubber with an outer sleeve that invariably rusted solid to the shackle itself. I've always said the poly bushing manufacturer's should just size their bushings to use WITH the old sleeve still in place. Taking out a rusted sleeve usually involves lots of sawing, hacking & hewing and cussing. But it eventually comes out.
However, it's also the main reason we sell so many new shackles! Some people don't actually have all the tools and/or patience to deal with it, so they consider new shackles $70 bucks well spent.

Me, I like the new shackles, but I hate letting a part get the better of me too!

Good luck on yours. Hopefully they just go together like I described.

Paul

Old 07-07-2019, 11:49 AM
speedfreak78
Cargo Master
Received 423 Likes on 338 Posts
As long as the bolt is tight and it's not stretching the frame holes, and you're definitely doing the RSK in the next month or two, I'd keep driving it an and just watch it. It's only going to mess up the shackle and maybe wear down the bolt, at the extreme. Most likely it'll stay just like it is. Personally, I hate doing stuff twice. That's wasted time, effort, and usually money, that coulda went into something else on the truck.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:55 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
@calvinhg didn't mention that we live a few miles in a rough dirt road. The shackle makes a lot of noise because it's getting worked hard on the rough dirt and gravel surface.

Old 07-07-2019, 07:06 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
If it REALLY bothers you I would change the whole shackle. There is no way I would fight getting the old bushing out/in. But like said before it has been like that for YEARS
Here are new shackles
https://www.autoandtrucksprings.com/...ing-bt8571mbw/

Old 07-07-2019, 07:27 PM
calvinhg
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
@RenoHuskerDu didn't mention that we live a few miles in a rough dirt road either.

And wow, that's a whole lot less than I expected for the shackles... $25 per, with the bushing already in it! I may just do that.

Actually had a quick look at ORU's SRK and it comes with new shackles, so I guess I'll wait till I get the kit. I'll take $50 over having to replace them just to take em back out.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:52 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Also, ORUs RSK is old school tech.

Look at Precision Metal Fabs RSK and Superduty U-code springs(99-04). The SD springs are 3-3/8 longer for an even better ride