Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7.3 pulling heavy and high egts

Old 07-10-2019, 05:11 PM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
If the engine is tuned right, you should be able to floor it in the appropriate gear without high EGTs. My mods and tuning allow me to do just that, but at my HP - engine temp becomes a thing under the right conditions (towing heavy hot and high on a hill).

With my tuning, the EGTs flirt with the red line, then a downshift hits automatically. The engine doesn't have EGT feedback, but the tuning guy (Cody), knows where the land mines are and he knows how to sidestep them.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:23 PM
Wesley Green
Posting Guru
Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.
Well yeah, but not all of us have the rep to be worthy of Cody tunes. I agree that good tunes help a lot, but there are things to mod that help if you dont have that option

Going back to the original post of what gives the most change per buck, from stock i probably noticed the biggest difference per buck going to 6637 filter from stock. Wouldn't recommend a chip without a better than stock intake or EGT gauge, but you have that gauge. 4" exhaust from the turbo helps, but costs more and is more time involved. I would definately recommend wrapping it when you go that route, downpipe and all sections by and past the transmission, that's a lot radiant heat near the transmission and it's cooling lines.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:25 PM
z31freakify
Post Fiend
z31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to behold
IMO the OP is doing good, those egts are somewhat low with that heavy weight, Im actually surprised they are not any higher taking into consideration he has 3.73 and rolling with 35" tires.
My worthless .02 says keep your current set up, but if you are going to tow that much weight regularly and want to keep those 35" tires change gearing to 4.10 or 4.30. Tire size is what's killing you power specially the 2nd to 3rd shift when the TC locks, and a combination of bad tuning make it worse. Your stock exhaut is alright and your intake as long as it doesn't alow dirt to go thru and flows enough which looks like it does judging by your posted info keep it.

My truck is an OBS which is practicly a Super duty, engine wise (modified GTP38, Fuel system, IC etc) im sporting 90cc injectors (also have stage 1's with similar results but with a hell of alot more power) 3.55 with 33" tires, 6637, 3" to 4" exhaust with a retrofitted 6.doh kitty where the old muffler used to be( yes that's right I installed a kitty, but with the rewards being higher than I expected, no smelly exhaust and quiet the exhaust by alot, the only down side was 50° higher egt normal driving and 100° while towing just on grades though)E40d with a low stall tripple disc TC (900 RPM stall iirc)
As long as my rpms are over 1600 rpm my truck is making power and egts are manageable (900°-1000° ) going up an 8% grade solo. Towing a 12k loaded dump trailer up the same mountain pass 3rd gear rpms at 2k-2300 rpm I can maintain speed but egt's do climb to 1200°-1250° anything below 2k rpm and I start loosing speed in this mountain pass egts start to climb, and truck starts to get smokey, once I only saw it go to 1300°that was lugging the engine with the TQ converter locked manually (switch) I have Tony Wildman tunes on a ts6 chip and has served me well that are tuned to my stage 1's but offly have worked really well with my 90cc?

Old 07-10-2019, 10:35 PM
z31freakify
Post Fiend
z31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to behold
Oh I went to cloud croft NM this past weekend, 8xxxx elevation, steep roads with speed limit being only 35mph my truck was lugging at 1400 rpm or less and egt's were high 1250° and I wasnt towing anything either, lack of oxygen, and tuning for this high of altitude made my truck gasp lol... i had to put it in second gear so it wouldn't smoke.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:55 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
aawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
Normally I would let this go, but future readers might heed it if they don't know better. With all due respect to you as a person and your effort to contribute - the thread is about high exhaust gas temperatures, and the purpose of the 6.0 cooler is to lower transmission temperatures. If you're like me, it's easy to get dragged down the rabbit hole when the discussion does an oblique to a related (but not on-point) topic.

bennyhick2 - Seriously.... Once you pull that chip, you'll be coming back here to ask why your EGTs dropped so much. The long answer starts here, and builds to the end: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...roduction.html
Normally I would let this go, but considering the discussion was regarding EGTs, I naturally assumed he was referring to a 6.0 intercooler, not a transmission cooler. The larger 6.0 IC does make a difference.

With all due respect to you as a person and your effort to contribute.

Humility, my friend.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:46 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350 View Post
...Humility, my friend.
Yeah... I could have worded that better to better reflect how I'm not trying to be an ***. Fail. Sorry.

In the very first post by th OP, he listed something in his mods that raises a huge red flag when he described his problem. HPOP, intercooler, shifting, turbo, intake, exhaust... he can add stuff until he breaks his Buck$Zooka over his hood - but those are all like hanging an air freshener tree on a toilet handle instead of operating the handle.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:21 AM
Sous
Moderator and SXE Junkie!
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Wesley Green View Post
Well yeah, but not all of us have the rep to be worthy of Cody tunes. I agree that good tunes help a lot, but there are things to mod that help if you dont have that option
Wesley Green hit the nail on the head in regard to the tuning post from Tugly . Everything being listed in this post as a fix action (and there are a lot them) ranging from free to $2000 or more. My suggestion is the most expensive one, but damn near a sure fire fix action without messing around with the other stuff. Tuning can be purchased, but the elusive "Cody" tunes are not capable of being purchased. Unless there is a live tuning session that is scheduled with Cody and he is willing to take on the project. I don't even know if this is a fact or FTE lore either though, so maybe that is complete BS. So, going back to the tuning aspect on fixing the OP's problems.

He wants more power with lower EGT's and is running somewhat big tires. Keeping the RPM's up is a way to fix this, but better ways have been proven. I have heard time and time again from very reputable people that the 7.3 can run all day long at 3000 RPM. Why though... If the same work can be accomplished at 2000 RPM, why run at 3000 RPM... It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Switching to stock tuning is a way to fix his high EGT issue, but the OP wants more power at safe temperatures, so stock tuning probably is not the correct path for him.

Originally Posted by z31freakify View Post
IMO the OP is doing good, those egts are somewhat low with that heavy weight, Im actually surprised they are not any higher taking into consideration he has 3.73 and rolling with 35" tires.
My worthless .02 says keep your current set up, but if you are going to tow that much weight regularly and want to keep those 35" tires change gearing to 4.10 or 4.30. Tire size is what's killing you power specially the 2nd to 3rd shift when the TC locks, and a combination of bad tuning make it worse. Your stock exhaut is alright and your intake as long as it doesn't alow dirt to go thru and flows enough which looks like it does judging by your posted info keep it.
Maybe Adam is onto something here...

Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
In the very first post by th OP, he listed something in his mods that raises a huge red flag when he described his problem. HPOP, intercooler, shifting, turbo, intake, exhaust... he can add stuff until he breaks his Buck$Zooka over his hood - but those are all like hanging an air freshener tree on a toilet handle instead of operating the handle.
Rich, everything the OP may or may not need can be bought on the internet and sent to his residence, except for the one thing he may very well be in need of, proper tuning. I threw the SXE out there because by adding that T4/SXE setup and a hot tune from just about any tuner on just about any platform, he can leave EVERYTHING else as it is and tow heavy anywhere he wants with low EGT's, low RPM's (slightly lower than mine due to his tire size) and maintain speed going up a grade. This has been proven time and time again by me and at least 2 other people I know personally running the T4/SXE with stock AD injectors.

Cody tuning is something else that may fix the OP's problems because as I understand it his tunes are far superior than anything we can purchase. Maybe the live tuning session is something that the OP can work out, maybe not...

Except for the path suggested by Adam, I took the route suggested by others until I arrived to my current state of "PMS cured". Exhaust, tuning from several tuners via Hydra, modified turbo, free-flowing intake, etc... All of that mattered a hill of beans until it was proven to me what I needed to get the job of towing heavy at 12,000 lbs, 2000 RPM, 20 lbs of boost and 1000 EGT's up a grade... I don't have to test my setup on the grades of the NW because some of the grades through WV and VA are just as treacherous. Although, since we do travel cross country the grades of the SW and NW and up to AK will be conquered in the next year or two when we travel out west again. We are thinking of just going north to AK after our visit to ID, WA and MT via AZ, NM and NV.

bennyhick2 We can suggest things and tell you campfire stories all day long, but only you know what is right for you and your truck. Only you know what your goals are for the truck and what you need it to accomplish on a daily basis. No two trucks are the same, especially after 18 years of being on the road. Even if they were identical when they rolled off the factory floor, they are completely different now and should be treated as such.

You should do some thinking and figure out which course of action is best for you, your wallet and your situation. These actions range from $0 and 0 time to thousands of dollars and many hours or days...

Good luck and keep us updated on what you choose to do and how it worked out for you.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:56 AM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
With all due respect to Tug..its Summertime.
None of you noticed over the years, that you have a better chance at putting your money on an actual "real finding" of a Josh Gates-Expedition Unknown case, then you would Tug responding.
His brains' waterlogged, eyes are vertigo of water runways and his chromedome is a lighter shade of pink...

Old 07-11-2019, 11:13 AM
Brandonpdx
Senior User
Brandonpdx is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350 View Post
Normally I would let this go, but considering the discussion was regarding EGTs, I naturally assumed he was referring to a 6.0 intercooler, not a transmission cooler. The larger 6.0 IC does make a difference.

With all due respect to you as a person and your effort to contribute.

Humility, my friend.
A better intercooler would definitely help. I have one of the those on my shopping list

Old 07-11-2019, 01:01 PM
00t444e
Posting Guru
00t444e is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.00t444e is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
A stock 7.3 intercooloer is all you need, money would be better spent on tuning and a good turbo setup. There are 7.3 trucks that dyno 700+ HP with the factory intercooler.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:58 PM
bennyhick2
New User
bennyhick2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for all the responses so far. But what I meant before about backing out of the go peddle. I back out and I'm less than half peddle trying to pull a substantial hill and still maintining 1100°. I know that if I hammer it to the floor it will go but I'm going to have a melt down of my pistons. It started last year in feb of 18 when I bought this 5th wheel. My truck didn't have a tuner. I had just put in the guages so I could see where things were at. When I pulled the 5th wheel home for the first time I was getting some high egts. And I talk to a friend of mine that works on busses and he gave a number to a diesel shop that he trusted. So I called that guy and he said I need a tuner. So I got one not that I didn't want to get one any way but it helped greese the wheels with my wife. I was thinking gears then but my friend doesn't think I'm going to see as much of a return as its going to cost to change the gears.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:10 PM
Wesley Green
Posting Guru
Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.
Yeah I'd probably have gone 4.10 long ago if they weren't so stinking high, that's comprable $$$ to a new and much better turbo, rather have the turbo, the mileage might go up with a turbo and add power and lower EGTs vs with gears mpg will go down and may still have EGT issues.

Check for boost leaks, may find one/some and help temps

Old 07-11-2019, 02:49 PM
00t444e
Posting Guru
00t444e is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.00t444e is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I wouldn't change gears, 3.73 gears with 35s is a good combo for a 7.3.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:29 PM
Dan V
Posting Guru
Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Wesley Green View Post
Yeah I'd probably have gone 4.10 long ago if they weren't so stinking high, that's comprable $$$ to a new and much better turbo, rather have the turbo, the mileage might go up with a turbo and add power and lower EGTs vs with gears mpg will go down and may still have EGT issues.

Check for boost leaks, may find one/some and help temps
I've drug some big horse trailers around with 3.73 on 265/75-16...that's ok...but when I stepped up to 275/75-18...things changed. At 55mph, you are under the turbo, or certainly can be...the 364.5 SXE turbo.

I'm in the middle of a frame off build....the build will have 4.10. I expect better driveability in the 55-65 range with the 4.10.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:30 PM
z31freakify
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 00t444e View Post
I wouldn't change gears, 3.73 gears with 35s is a good combo for a 7.3.
If you aint towing nothing, towing heavy opens a whole new can of worms.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.