Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Features to add to an XLT Package

Old 07-06-2019, 02:16 AM
Morgan George
New User
Morgan George is starting off with a positive reputation.
Best Features to add to an XLT Package

I currently own a 2014 F150 XLT with the 3.5 eco boost engine. It has been a fantastic truck. Not one serous issue. That said, It is creeping up in mileage and I am thinking of trading it in for a 2019 XLT (can't afford the higher packages, nor do I think I need them). My question is this: What packages/options are the most valuable? There are just so many to choose from. Which are the best engines? The 3.5 litre? The 5.0? I can't afford the 3.0 litre diesel. Since gas mileage is relatively close among the three (2.7, 3.5, 5) I am really looking for the most reliable. Is the Fx4 package worth the money? The sport package, XTR package,... etc. I like the 18" tires on my current truck. They seem to match the 157 " box length while the 17" make the truck seem smaller to me. Locking Diff?? Spray in liner? rear sliding window? max towing package? remote start? You get the idea. Lots of goodies but which ones are the most important to get from the factory and are worth the money.

Any and all advice and suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks,

Morgan.
'

Old 07-06-2019, 05:17 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Morgan, welcome to FTE!

A truck should be optioned based on it's intended use and the level of pampering that you desire / can afford, in my opinion of course.

The best course of action that I found when I was truck shopping was to use Ford's build and price tool on their website.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:07 AM
GlueGuy
Postmaster
GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.
+1 to what Tim says. You've already stated what you want. I'm not sure trying to pick and choose based on what provides value "generally" is the approach you want. I would pick the options that provide value to you. I think all the engine options are more-or-less equally reliable today. Some people pick the 5.0 purely on the V8 sound. Some pick the 3.5L EB for the stump-pulling power. Some pick the 2.7L for the remarkably peppy performance (without the associated gas usage). Some pick the 3.3L NA simply because it's simple, yet provides more than adequate power. Do the build & price tool on the Ford web site and try a few variations. That's what we did, and we are starting year 5 with ours and still loving it.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:31 AM
NASSTY
Posting Guru
NASSTY is a name known to allNASSTY is a name known to allNASSTY is a name known to allNASSTY is a name known to allNASSTY is a name known to allNASSTY is a name known to all
On my last couple trucks that I've ordered I added a few stand alone options, remote start, tailgate step and bed extender.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:48 AM
GABAR
Postmaster
GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Morgan George View Post
I currently own a 2014 F150 XLT with the 3.5 eco boost engine. It has been a fantastic truck. Not one serous issue. That said, It is creeping up in mileage and I am thinking of trading it in for a 2019 XLT (can't afford the higher packages, nor do I think I need them). My question is this: What packages/options are the most valuable? There are just so many to choose from. Which are the best engines? The 3.5 litre? The 5.0? I can't afford the 3.0 litre diesel. Since gas mileage is relatively close among the three (2.7, 3.5, 5) I am really looking for the most reliable. Is the Fx4 package worth the money? The sport package, XTR package,... etc. I like the 18" tires on my current truck. They seem to match the 157 " box length while the 17" make the truck seem smaller to me. Locking Diff?? Spray in liner? rear sliding window? max towing package? remote start? You get the idea. Lots of goodies but which ones are the most important to get from the factory and are worth the money.

Any and all advice and suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks,

Morgan.
'
Ask yourself which features you really want or need in a new truck and go from there.
For the most part, the most popular F150 model is the XLT and many owners choose the 302A package.
As the moderator mentioned in his reply and with the above mentioned trim level, go to the Ford website and build a truck based off this info.
Have a great day.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:33 PM
Morgan George
New User
Morgan George is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank you for all the great responses so far. Maybe I am just overthinking this purchase. I was reading some things (on this site) in regard to the FX4 package, especially concerning the shocks, and about how they were not worth the money, etc., etc., and started becoming concerned that certain packages/options may not be worth the investment from the factory. My original thought was that maybe some users here could point out some of the most value packed options in their own personal opinion. It has been my experience that some options, that you may never have even thought of, can become invaluable addition to your vehicle.

Great site. Can't believe I never joined sooner.

Old 07-06-2019, 05:46 PM
David1986
Elder User
David1986 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My last truck was an XLT and I loved it. Next truck will probably be another XLT as I really liked the Sport cloth seats.

302A
Sport - No chrome (also gives you the console shifter)
Tailgate step
Pano Roof
20 inch wheels
36 Gal tank - must have

Old 07-06-2019, 10:12 PM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Wiggums has a good reputation on FTE.Wiggums has a good reputation on FTE.Wiggums has a good reputation on FTE.
One must-have option is the center console with the shifter on the tree, not in the console. PLENTY of space that way.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:44 AM
JKBrad
JKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to behold
If you want it configured the way Wiggums suggested, order a 302a with a center console. As mentioned above, the Sport Pkg will give you a console shifter.

Most will agree the the FX4 Pkg isn’t a great value. It gives you 32” tires (with 18” wheels, 20 wheels are 32” across the board) , skid plates, hill decent control (nearly useless unless you off road on steep terrain) and an electronic locking rear axle. The shocks are not any different, that went away in 2014. There is a rumor that an FX4 rides 1/2” higher, but that’s just the tire size (275/65/18) vs a regular 4x4 (275/60/18).

Old 07-07-2019, 07:50 AM
jr105
Senior User
jr105 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Option choices are personal preferences. The only option I would require for a new purchase is the 36 gal fuel tank.

Old 07-07-2019, 10:26 AM
Robbgt
Postmaster
Robbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to behold
As people have mentioned, personal preference and budget really come into play. I wanted an STX but found a heavily discounted XLT 302A truck and took it home.

36 Gallon tank was a must for me and luckily this truck had it.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:28 AM
JKBrad
JKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to behold
The 36 gallon tank is great to have. Some complain about the cost to fill, but what difference does it make really. You fill it less is all.

Whenever there’s a hurricane on the Texas coast, people loose their minds and hoard gas. Refineries shut down compounding the problem. The last hurricane we had, I filled up just before panic set in. With the 36 gallon tank I was able to make it through the shortages and not have to wait in hour long lines at the few stations that were open.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:40 AM
FORD COASTIE
Posting Guru
FORD COASTIE has much to be proud ofFORD COASTIE has much to be proud ofFORD COASTIE has much to be proud ofFORD COASTIE has much to be proud ofFORD COASTIE has much to be proud ofFORD COASTIE has much to be proud ofFORD COASTIE has much to be proud ofFORD COASTIE has much to be proud ofFORD COASTIE has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by JKBrad View Post
The 36 gallon tank is great to have. Some complain about the cost to fill, but what difference does it make really. You fill it less is all.

Whenever there’s a hurricane on the Texas coast, people loose their minds and hoard gas. Refineries shut down compounding the problem. The last hurricane we had, I filled up just before panic set in. With the 36 gallon tank I was able to make it through the shortages and not have to wait in hour long lines at the few stations that were open.

I wouldn’t even entertain buying a truck without the 36 gallon tank. We deal with some of the same things you mentioned here in LA when the hurricanes come. I drive a lot for work, so It’s a must have for me.

Old 07-07-2019, 01:44 PM
Kingofwylietx
Posting Guru
Kingofwylietx has a good reputation on FTE.Kingofwylietx has a good reputation on FTE.Kingofwylietx has a good reputation on FTE.
My list of must-have items is pretty short, but I'll share it.
-36 gallon fuel tank (extended range tank)
-center console
-electric locking rear axle

Old 07-07-2019, 02:00 PM
ManO'War
Freshman User
ManO'War is starting off with a positive reputation.
302A package adds everything I wanted except the 36 gallon tank. I settled for the 23 gallon tank because the used 2016 I found had everything else. I tow a 7000 travel trailer so I also shopped for payload. If you plan on towing heavy be aware of payload.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: