Overload springs out...airbags in??

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 03:56 PM
Watsy
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overload springs out...airbags in??

Hi, seems I have just enough pin weight to make the overloads slap when going over frost heaves or bridge decks etc. Its a bit annoying.
Has anyone taken the overloads out and put bags in? I can't see a problem but want to canvas the masses before i go do something stupid..
I know I can just put the bags in without removing overloads but may still get the slap so would like to get rid of them.
Thoughts?
Cheers

Old 07-04-2019, 08:12 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My suggestion: try slowing down.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:30 PM
Watsy
Cross-Country
all
Originally Posted by Army RET
My suggestion: try slowing down.
You have me stumped on how to reply to this...your comment has nothing to do with the questions.
I guess if you want to drive 20km/hr on our Alberta major highways by all means help yourself but warn me so I'm no where around.
Cheers

Old 07-04-2019, 10:37 PM
skanj0
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Watsy
Hi, seems I have just enough pin weight to make the overloads slap when going over frost heaves or bridge decks etc. Its a bit annoying.
Has anyone taken the overloads out and put bags in? I can't see a problem but want to canvas the masses before i go do something stupid..
I know I can just put the bags in without removing overloads but may still get the slap so would like to get rid of them.
Thoughts?
Cheers
Why not install a set of Torklift upper Stable Loads to pre-load the upper auxiliary springs so they don't slap? I would go this route versus removing them and adding air bags. Air bags are great if you dont have the oem upper auxiliary springs, but since you do, I would maximize them. My experience has been that bags eventually wear out as rubber cracks and air leaks develop.

Old 07-04-2019, 11:21 PM
Jim McNulty
New User
Originally Posted by skanj0
Why not install a set of Torklift upper Stable Loads to pre-load the upper auxiliary springs so they don't slap? I would go this route versus removing them and adding air bags. Air bags are great if you dont have the oem upper auxiliary springs, but since you do, I would maximize them. My experience has been that bags eventually wear out as rubber cracks and air leaks develop.
I've been thinking about going that route. I just don't want our non-towing ride to be any rougher than it is. The thing is, my goal is to eliminate squat, and ride level, but any kind of timbren or torklift seems like they need to have the truck squat before they even come into play.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:47 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
I left the overloads in and have not heard them hit since adding bags. Another thought, what happens when you lose air, loaded, and the overloads are on the shelf at home?

Old 07-05-2019, 08:15 AM
dkegel
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim McNulty
The thing is, my goal is to eliminate squat, and ride level...
What are you towing? If you eliminate all squat will your trailer/camper still be level? I saw quite a few very nose-high fifth wheels on the road last weekend. Not a pretty sight.

Dave

Old 07-05-2019, 11:08 AM
Alleydog
Cross-Country
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
If you remove a spring you will change the overall weight capacity of your truck and air bags won't make up for the loss. You didn't mention what, if anything, you haul or tow but I'm guessing with a dually you do one or the other. I've had both Timbrens and Air Bags in my F250 and they only helped level the truck when under load.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:14 AM
Watsy
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by skanj0
Interesting..I haven't run across these before. That would stop the slapping for sure.
Trailer rides level now with about 2 inches of squat but with these installed it should still squat enough to keep it close..
Do you notice much empty ride quality difference with them?
Thanks for the input..
Cheers

Old 07-05-2019, 11:29 AM
Watsy
Cross-Country
I've been thinking about going that route. I just don't want our non-towing ride to be any rougher than it is. The thing is, my goal is to eliminate squat, and ride level, but any kind of timbren or torklift seems like they need to have the truck squat before they even come into play.
Ya..its a toss up on how to get the ultimate setup.
Timbrens you can adjust the space before contact but too little will give you a rough unloaded ride. Had them on our last truck and they worked great for my application.
Seems to me that the Torklift upper Stabilizers will be in contact when unloaded so start helping right away.
I'm the opposite..I am best with at least a couple inches of squat but can't stand the slapping noise cause i don't have quite enough weight on overloads to keep them engaged..
Cheers

Old 07-05-2019, 12:52 PM
Watsy
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by jsm180
I left the overloads in and have not heard them hit since adding bags. Another thought, what happens when you lose air, loaded, and the overloads are on the shelf at home?
Good point but my reason to have bags is not to eliminate squat. I still need a bit of squat so by leaving the upper overloads in they would still slap with bags. I can envision only needing 30-40 psi to compensate for no overloads.
You are correct about losing air and no overloads..That would require immediate attention. Food for thought.
Cheers

Old 07-05-2019, 12:58 PM
Watsy
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by dkegel
What are you towing? If you eliminate all squat will your trailer/camper still be level? I saw quite a few very nose-high fifth wheels on the road last weekend. Not a pretty sight.

Dave
Hi Dave, My goal is to keep the same squat but have air ride instead of slapping off the overloads. Essentially replacing the overloads with bags and light on the air pressure.
here is our set up..rides almost dead level with about 2 inches of squat.
Cheers

Old 07-05-2019, 01:06 PM
Watsy
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Alleydog
If you remove a spring you will change the overall weight capacity of your truck and air bags won't make up for the loss. You didn't mention what, if anything, you haul or tow but I'm guessing with a dually you do one or the other. I've had both Timbrens and Air Bags in my F250 and they only helped level the truck when under load.
Hey Alleydog, thanks for your input. Post above has what we tow. Bags certainly will compensate for removing the overload and depending how much air will even hold more weight but not looking to do that. Just wanting to get rid of the slap without changing the stance that we have now. Unloaded ride will suffer slightly due to needing to keep 5 lbs in bags but will have to see..
Cheers

Old 07-05-2019, 02:02 PM
Jim McNulty
New User
Originally Posted by dkegel

Dave
A Jayco Eagle HT 28.5 rsts. 10995 max weight. It squats a little now, mostly empty, resting on one end of the helper springs and almost touching the other end. I figure when full of stuff, the squat will be something I will want to deal with. Just thinking about it at this point. Agree that I don't want to put the trailer too nose high either, but I think my trailer axles are rated high enough that a little difference won't put them over weight. I'm just looking and thinking now, our first 2 week trip is coming up, so I'll get a better idea how it sits loaded and I'll get some measurements on level ground.

Old 07-05-2019, 06:44 PM
skanj0
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You take them out when not towing or hauling. Takes about 15 mins.

Quick Reply: Overload springs out...airbags in??