Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power uphill towing.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:59 AM
Mjforbro
New User
Mjforbro is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks on cat reply. Does anyone have any recommendations, or just order the complete Y pipe kit and all, and be done with it for another 10 plus years

Old 07-09-2019, 12:16 PM
Mjforbro
New User
Would like to replace muffler, any specific? Not looking for sound, just good oem replacement. Type and if part number would be appreciated.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:48 PM
Krewat
Admin Newbie
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Sorry no one got back to you yet... I wouldn't just throw money at it, only to find that's not the problem. I would certainly get a backpressure tester and see ...

Old 07-09-2019, 12:54 PM
Mjforbro
New User
Just thinking, if its an 05, had couple winters in CO, otherwise all AZ. Prob would not hurt to put on new cats and muffler. Also will be checking plugs this week, and prob just replace all with Motorcraft plugs. Any good input on coils, or just take in shorts and use Motorcraft there also?

Old 07-09-2019, 03:23 PM
R&T Babich
Posting Guru
R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Mjforbro View Post
J .... Also will be checking plugs this week, and prob just replace all with Motorcraft plugs. Any good input on coils, or just take in shorts and use Motorcraft there also?
The coils last a lot longer than the boots.
I would change just the plugs and boots - be sure to torque them to 20-25 ft/lbs.
Denso makes good coils and boots, I've read they are the Ford OEM supplier.
Get a spare coil for testing, a set of boots should be under $40 for 10 (Rock Auto or ebay).

Old 07-10-2019, 06:40 PM
Im50fast
Humblest guy ever
Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by R&T Babich View Post
Denso makes good coils and boots, I've read they are the Ford OEM supplier.
Truth. I confirmed.
Buy the Denso. When you get them you’ll see the Ford part number on them.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:42 PM
Tbug05LTD
Senior User
Tbug05LTD has a very good reputation on FTE.Tbug05LTD has a very good reputation on FTE.Tbug05LTD has a very good reputation on FTE.
I like the responses stating your truck does that plus more easily. I know mine should too, but trying to figure out why it does not. Going to check plugs shortly, and possibly cats? Just weird, as runs good not under loaf, etc. and no check engine/service light. I am going to check fuel pressure also.
Mjforbro, have you figured out if it's the cat or a fuel delivery issue? I'm going through a similar problem with my V10 Excursion.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:47 PM
Mjforbro
New User
Have not had much time yet, thank God it is a third vehicle. Going to probably do plugs, boots and springs, and I believe I am just going to completely replace the cats anyway, and start from fresh, as they are 14 years old now. I do believe the Excursion still has the two valve V10, may have something to do with the difference they're also? When I get time, and it's not over 110 here, I will update you.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:54 PM
Tbug05LTD
Senior User
Tbug05LTD has a very good reputation on FTE.Tbug05LTD has a very good reputation on FTE.Tbug05LTD has a very good reputation on FTE.
Have not had much time yet, thank God it is a third vehicle. Going to probably do plugs, boots and springs, and I believe I am just going to completely replace the cats anyway, and start from fresh, as they are 14 years old now. I do believe the Excursion still has the two valve V10, may have something to do with the difference they're also? When I get time, and it's not over 110 here, I will update you.
Thanks Mj, I think I may just replace the cat on mine as its that age as well. You mention cats, do you have more than one cat?

Old 07-16-2019, 07:47 AM
Mjforbro
New User

My setup is like this, believe yours is different, as think yours may be just one larger single, which is way easier and has more aftermarket availability.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:40 PM
R&T Babich
Posting Guru
R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.
... I believe I am just going to completely replace the cats anyway, and start from fresh, as they are 14 years old now. I do believe the Excursion still has the two valve V10, may have something to do with the difference they're also? ....
All Excursion V10s are 2v.
Why would the CATs need replacing after 14 years, do they age out?
Our '92 Explorer, '93 Explorer and '02 Excursion V10 all still have the OEM CATs.

Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM
Krewat
Admin Newbie
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by R&T Babich View Post
Why would the CATs need replacing after 14 years, do they age out?
It seems to be a problem for some V10's, especially the earlier ones - not sure why. Most likely, under long loads like heavy towing, the cat can overheat and melt.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.