Ford branded campers

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 11:35 AM
AMXDREAMER
Posting Guru
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Ford branded campers

I've been kinda looking for a short camper for my 6'-9" 2017 F350. I want a short camper so I have little to no overhang while towing an enclosed trailer. Livin Lite all aluminum and composite trailers actually teamed up with Ford and in 2016 made campers and trailers with Ford VINs sold through Ford dealers. Has anyone here had or currently own one? Looking for opinions before I seal the deal on one.

Name:  tniKdnG.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  2.96 MB

Name:  kHfMY4A.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  2.96 MB

Name:  HbJ9GWD.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  2.59 MB

Name:  IPP7CfH.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  2.80 MB

Name:  iqCbdx0.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  1.18 MB

Name:  MRUS2mW.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  680.6 KB

Name:  sDQZWbn.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  421.5 KB

With this weight it should be no issue either with my 3400lbs of payload.

Name:  NQrPAvY.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  3.54 MB

I like the idea of NO wood in the camper so no rot!

The color scheme should match my combo really nicely!

Attachment 283215

Old 06-26-2019, 12:03 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
I think you have some more research to do and reading Defunct LivinLite

Old 06-26-2019, 12:31 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
I think what the OP is saying is he is considering buying one of those made before production was discontinued. The pics look like they were shot by a dealer. Here's a link to a review Truck Camper Magazine did when they first came out, though not the exact model. https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/...mplite-review/

Old 06-26-2019, 12:38 PM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 267 Likes on 207 Posts
Lightbulb

Tony,

It looks to be in good shape!

If I may be so bold, I doubt the 1780 lbs. spec is accurate. For example, it probably doesn’t include the weight of the (optional) A/C or rear awning. I also recommend you allow perhaps 150 lbs for a bed mat, ties-downs, and turn buckles.

Should you decide to seal the deal, a final suggestion would be weigh your truck and camper combo.

Note that like ours, this camper is not fitted with taill-lights. This omission may not allow your truck to activate it’s +12 battery charging circuit. Not to worry; there are similar and inexpensive solutions, and your trailer lights may do the trick anyway.

Allow,me to recommend Torklift tiedowns. They offer F350-specific solutions. Th rear units are DIY easy, but I paid a trailer shop mechanic to install the front units. Similarly, consider Torklift Fast Gun turnbuckles. None of this stuff is cheap, but it’s first-rate equipment. The Fast Guns make it easy to,access the fuel compartment.

I installed a DeeZee bed mat.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Old 06-26-2019, 01:41 PM
AMXDREAMER
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
I think you have some more research to do and reading Defunct LivinLite
Yes, I had already seen that, damn you Thor! As a 2016 it wouldn't have much warranty if any left anyways,

Old 06-26-2019, 01:43 PM
AMXDREAMER
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
I think what the OP is saying is he is considering buying one of those made before production was discontinued. The pics look like they were shot by a dealer. Here's a link to a review Truck Camper Magazine did when they first came out, though not the exact model. https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/...mplite-review/
These were painted etc at Livin Lite as they had a full spray area from what I've read. The early models had everything inside made put of aluminum, one of the complaints on the early models was all the sharp edges and that it was too sterile feeling.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:59 PM
AMXDREAMER
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SDcrewzer
Tony,

It looks to be in good shape!

If I may be so bold, I doubt the 1780 lbs. spec is accurate. For example, it probably doesn’t include the weight of the (optional) A/C or rear awning. I also recommend you allow perhaps 150 lbs for a bed mat, ties-downs, and turn buckles.

Should you decide to seal the deal, a final suggestion would be weigh your truck and camper combo.

Note that like ours, this camper is not fitted with taill-lights. This omission may not allow your truck to activate it’s +12 battery charging circuit. Not to worry; there are similar and inexpensive solutions, and your trailer lights may do the trick anyway.

Allow,me to recommend Torklift tiedowns. They offer F350-specific solutions. Th rear units are DIY easy, but I paid a trailer shop mechanic to install the front units. Similarly, consider Torklift Fast Gun turnbuckles. None of this stuff is cheap, but it’s first-rate equipment. The Fast Guns make it easy to,access the fuel compartment.

I installed a DeeZee bed mat.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Thanks for helping yet again Jim! lol

The options would include the AC and awning like you said plus the heated tanks, fantastic fan etc. so yes the number will be a higher. This was my concern originally as my payload is 3400 lbs. IIRC my trailer axles with the car inside was 5300 lbs so maybe 550 tongue weight. Numbers start getting tight

The camper comes with like new torklift fast guns and the brackets for an F150. I have already priced out them for my truck and they are stocked locally. My truck already has the bed mat so one less thing needed.

Tony

Old 06-30-2019, 01:08 AM
AMXDREAMER
Posting Guru
Well, today I sealed the deal and agreed on a price on the above camper. Can't wait to pick it up and start getting it ready for my first roadtrip!

Old 06-30-2019, 08:56 AM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Great news!

Safe travels,
Jim / crewzer

Old 07-04-2019, 03:55 PM
AMXDREAMER
Posting Guru
Managed to install the torklift brackets the other day. The front ones were a little tricky but if I had to do them again it would be much faster. Definitely a well designed product.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:03 AM
AMXDREAMER
Posting Guru
WTH I ordered the 7 pin connector to mount in the box for the new camper. Today it FINALLY showed up and it's pouring rain....get it all mounted (only 3 screws in the package not the required 4) crawl under the truck and I don't have the stupid plugs down there from Ford to connect it up. Guess I will be doing wiring after the camper is on the truck. Then it was bear to get the tailgate off (1st time) and into the house, damn that thing digs into your hands! Tomorrow I go down to WA to do the final deal on the camper and bring it home. EVERYTHING about this has been a headache...hopefully it's not trying to tell me this isn't the one. Starting to second guess myself.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:35 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by AMXDREAMER
WTH I ordered the 7 pin connector to mount in the box for the new camper. Today it FINALLY showed up and it's pouring rain....get it all mounted (only 3 screws in the package not the required 4) crawl under the truck and I don't have the stupid plugs down there from Ford to connect it up. Guess I will be doing wiring after the camper is on the truck. Then it was bear to get the tailgate off (1st time) and into the house, damn that thing digs into your hands! Tomorrow I go down to WA to do the final deal on the camper and bring it home. EVERYTHING about this has been a headache...hopefully it's not trying to tell me this isn't the one. Starting to second guess myself.
Don't throw in the towel just yet. Even if you have done this several times before, it almost always goes like this with a new purchase, even if used. On our new Norhtstar the water pump leaked, the door dead bolt did not line up so it would not lock from the inside, The screen door catch would not catch, the tank drain was wrong, etc. We have just come to expect this stuff in RVs of all types. You may have odds and ends in yours too. We already had a truck camper so our truck was not an issue, however, you bet those tail gates are heavy! We have a fifth wheel also so we bought a plastic tailgate with the cutout and even my wife and take it off and put it on with no strain.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:38 AM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Tony,

Bummer! Just to be sure, here are pics of the extra harness pigtails (with- and without dust caps) under the driver-side of our 2019 Lariat’s bed. Our truck has the optional camper package, but not the optional 5th wheel prep package.

The bed connector problem is an annoyance but can be worked around. The camper can be connected to the truck using the 7-way connector next to the license plate in the back bumper.

If your trailer has a 4-way plug, then there should be a separate 4-way connector under the 7-way in the bumper.

If your trailer has a 7-way plug, then you can connect the trailer and the camper using an adapter like this one:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/RV-Pi...14-p/20055.htm

HTH, and safe travels today!
Jim / crewzer

Old 07-11-2019, 08:29 AM
AMXDREAMER
Posting Guru
Jim, I looked for an adapter like that one but couldn't find one, would have saved me some money also! RV's are usually full of issues.....the thing is I haven't even gotten to the RV part yet! lol

Old 07-11-2019, 12:08 PM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Yeah, that Y-adapter was a great find. I have one in my “bag o’ tricks”!

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

Quick Reply: Ford branded campers